Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Rio 2016: The Experience - Day 5 - "Citius, Altius, Fortius"


8/10/16 (Rio 2016 Day 5), “Citius, Altius, Fortius”
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Those three words, translating to English as “Faster, Higher, Stronger” are the Olympic Motto, and I could not think of three better words to embody the Olympic ideals.  The speed of a swimmer or runner, the height of a gymnast or pole vaulter, the strength of a weightlifter or shot putter are all self-evident, but there are other more subtle ways in which the motto manifests itself.  In the jumping events, there is a direct correlation between takeoff speed and jump distance for the long jump.  In fact, it can be mathematically calculated by simple geometry how high and far a long jumper can jump based on his take-off speed.  In gymnastics, it is the strength of the athlete’s legs that allow them to achieve maximum height in their vaults and tumbles.

I will be seeing more of that tonight when I witness the M Individual All-Around.  These are the strongest gymnasts in the world, and they will fly practically sky high.  It is also their incredible strength that allows them to do their routines on the rings.  You don’t have to lift a weight or put a shot to demonstrate your strength at the Games.  Citius is the nimble fencer who scores a point against her opponent.  Altius is the graceful gymnast who flies into the sky on a flawless vault.  Fortius is the powerful gymnast with rippling muscles who executes a perfect routine on the pommel horse.  That is what Citius, Altius, Fortius means, and that is what I will be seeing today.

Okay, so after I closed last night, I published and went straight to sleep.  We woke up just in time for breakfast, and then, after breakfast, I got ready, electing to wear my Coca-Cola shirt, honoring the historic sponsorship of the Games.  I then went up to the roof, where I lit up a Partagas and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can upload some photos to social media before I leave for Gymnastics.


(Rio Olympic Arena gymnastics venue)

Well it’s not looking good for Team USA.  I just refreshed my memory on Paul HAMM, and that was the last time we were seriously competitive in men’s gymnastics.  Our girls are certainly a lot better.  The reigning gold medalist from London looks set to repeat his performance after the first 2 of 6 rotations.  It looks like both of our guys will finish out of the medals, just as our team failed to medal in the team event.

Fortunately, in the W event tomorrow, we look set to take home gold and silver.  The only question is who whether Aly and Simone gets the top prize.  I’m obviously rooting for Aly, but I’ll be happy with either order if we get gold and silver.  If we were allowed to field three athletes in the finals, we’d probably sweep the medals, but I suppose the FIG rightly realized that allowing such US domination would not be interesting to the international audience.

I also have three consecutive nights of swimming coming up after tonight, including Phelps’s final race.  That will be a moment to remember.  Welp, rough vault for Sam MIKULAK, uneven landing.  Looks like we’re definitely not medaling here today.  I’ll be happy for UCHIMURA though if he repeats.  He is truly excellent.  Speaking of Japan, I will discuss this more at the end of the trip, but I have no intention of going to Tokyo in 4 years.  As much as I am enjoying this trip, I keep thinking I’d rather have taken off the two weeks from work and watched from home with my McDonald’s and Coke and Budweiser and the six screens running simultaneously as I watch every event.

That’s the great thing about the Olympics.  They come over four years.  This is a different kind of Olympics.  I can decide how I want to do the Tokyo Olympics when the time comes.  Hell, I might be married by then, and isolating myself for 16 Days would not be an option.  Who knows?  When 2024 comes around, if Los Angeles gets it, I’ll definitely be there, though.

Alright, so after I closed, I worked on sorting out my photos to upload to social media.  About halfway through, I pressed the wrong button and deleted all the photos from the subfolder I had made with the photos I wanted to post.  That was half an hour of work that I had to redo.  After I was done, I was also done with my cigar, so I didn’t to post them quite yet.  Instead, we headed out for some pizza.  Yeah, with all the great food available here, we’re certainly eating a lot of pizza and hot dogs, but that’s what they eat here.  After lunch, I headed back up to the roof and lit up a Romeo y Julieta and uploading my photos.  That took the entire cigar, 84 photos, each with their own captions and location tags.

We then headed to the train station, which would eventually take us to the Olympic Park.  It was raining at this point, so that put pay to the idea of smoking cigars outside around the Park.  Everything always takes longer than expected getting to and from the venues.  Wait, how is Chris BROOKS now in fourth place, only a point behind the reigning champ?!?  Have we been doing higher-scoring apparatuses than UCHIMURA has?  Well, I guess it’ll sort itself out.  Okay, so I was tight on time, and raced to do everything I wanted to do before sitting down.

I got my souvenir and a beer and then headed to my seat.  After the first rotation, I went out for a hamburger and chips and then went to a new seat, where, after my meal and the second rotation, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as the third rotation is closing out, and I want to enjoy the second half of the competition.




(Carioca Arena 3 fencing venue)

Nowhere is the concept of swiftness in something other than a race demonstrated better than here at the fencing venue.  This is all about fast footwork and scoring the quick hit.  It seems that I have tending to write these entries during bronze-medal matches.  That is what happened at archery, and that’s what happening here.  Korea seems set to take home the bronze.  Fencing is always one of my favorite events to watch during the Games, and it is definitely an event that lends itself to an enjoyable in-person experience.

After I closed at the gymnastics venue, the reigning champ had a phenomal performance on the high bar and that, combined with a lackluster one by the Ukranian who was ahead of him, earned him a repeat title.  I was happy for him.  Then came the medal ceremony, and Britain won bronze, Max WHITLOCK and the Team GB fans thrilled with the performance.  I raced from there to fencing venue, where Raymond was waiting for me.

He had found some fellow Team USA supporters, and they had supplied him with an American flag.  We were in a tight semifinal match against Iran when I walked in.  I’m sure my reader can imagine the excitement with which the five of us, sitting in the fifth and sixth row, cheered on our fencer against the Iranian.  We won 14-15.  It doesn’t get closer than that.  After the match, I headed to get another beer and some food.

I got a beer and a snack at the snack bar, but they had some food trucks outside in the plaza of the arena.  I chose a specialty burger and a kebob.  They had to cook the burger from scratch.  That took a while.  I ate the kebob as I walked to the souvenir shop, but they didn’t have the Fencing pin.  Upstairs might have it.  Now I was starting to be tight on time before the first gold-medal match.  I ate my burger, my very messy burger, as I walked up the ramp.  I needed to wash my hands, and face, it was so messy.  The upstairs shop had the pin, so I got that and headed back down the ramp and to the seat.

The whole process took so long that Raymond had thought I got lost.  I explained to him the whole drama of what happened.  Actually, this whole trip reminds me a lot of Comic Con, racing from place to place, wanting to try all the different food, seeing all the things I love, having to decide between leaving one place early or getting to the next place late, and being in the same city for an extended time.  Okay, so I got back to my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can watch the gold-medal matches before we head out for another epic night.



Well, as Aslan said, things never happen the same way twice.  That is actually so true of my travels, whenever I return somewhere or try to repeat an experience, it’s never the same the second time around.  I have been talking a little about Comic Con today, and that’s another great example, too.  Things never happen the same way twice.  The first time I went to Comic Con, it was the time of my life.  When I went back, it just wasn’t the same.  I have only gone twice.  Star Wars Celebration, well, the first two times were great but different.  The third time, though was trying to repeat the experience as part of my Eurotrip.  It’s funny, the Eurotrip was entirely designed around the Germany Star Wars Celebration, but it was a rushed experience and the least interesting part of the trip.  So many other conventions that I’ve done were incredible the first time, but not so much the second time.  Well, tonight today was much the same.

The gymnastics was not the same as yesterday, though I guess that was because we didn’t really have a dog in the race.  We went back to the cigar store for dinner, but it just wasn’t the same.  We didn’t make the night epic.  Things never happen the same way twice.  Tomorrow, we will be going separate ways.  In fact, this is the end of Day 5, and it will not be until we wake up on Day 7 that we see each other again while we’re both awake.  He’ll be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow, and he’ll be asleep by the time I get back from Swimming tomorrow night.  We’ll probably go to the beach to hang out before I got to Swimming on Day 7 to see Phelps in his final race.  Talk about the GOAT.  I can’t imagine what it’ll be like to see him in his final race, to see him anchor in the 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay, an event I believe we have an undefeated streak going back almost 100 years.

Okay, so what happened after I closed?  First, well, Ray, realizing I’d be out at my events all day, arranged with our new friends to go on a tour of the favelas.  We took a ceremonial picture with the flag and then sat back down to watch a fellow New Yorker compete for the Gold in M Individual Sabre.  He lost.  Badly.  But, hey, silver’s not bad.  The medal ceremony for the women’s event came first, and Russia had won.  Out of my distaste for Russia’s doping scandal, I literally turned my back on the medal ceremony as the Russian national anthem played and flag was raised.

I then saw them taking pictures with fans afterwards.  Prepared this time, I raced over and got my ticket signed by the silver medalist.  I was later able to add the Men’s bronze medalist.  I missed out on the New Yorker, since I was hoping to wait for him to come down for a picture.  I could have gotten the autograph if I was willing to forgo the photo op.  After all the medalists had left the arena, a worker told us it was time to leave.  We took public transportation to the cigar store, but we were not really hungry, having each eaten heavily at the event.

We sat inside, and I got some cigars for the rest of the trip and for home.  The bread and toppings they provide is so good, you can literally make a meal out of it.  I lit up a Bolivar Brasil Exclusivo and was prepared to do just that.  Unlimited bread and crackers, served with butter, olive oil, and chopped liver.  I call that a meal.  We also got caipirinhas (well, one for Ray, two for me), and I got a sparkling water.  This was supposed to be Ray’s big birthday celebration, but he wasn’t having any of it.  He was just completely out of it and had no interest in celebrating his birthday.

He suggested we order some food.  I wasn’t hungry, but I picked out an appetizer for us to share, a fried steak dish that sounded good and local.  We couldn’t finish the dish between the two of us.  I then lit up a small Montecristo that I had gotten, and I smoked that until we left.  We took a taxi back to the hotel, and the driver was literally falling asleep at the wheel according to Ray.  I was on my phone, but it was a very scary drive.  He was driving extremely recklessly.

I settled into the room for a bit, and we said our goodbyes, seeing as we wouldn’t see each until two Days hence.  I headed up to the roof and sat down in my usual spot, where I lit up a Romeo y Julieta (fuck, I smoked the same cigar twice today.  I literally just broke my cardinal rule of cigar smoking.  Fuckfuckfuck!!!) and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish before I crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment