Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Australia - Day 1 - Seven Continents (Goal 6/17 Complete)

12/25/16, “Seven Continents” (Goal 6/17 Complete)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Well, I did it.  By setting foot on the continent of Oceania this morning and having now visited all seven continents, I have completed the 6th of my 17 Goals.  Of the seven continents, by far the hardest to visit was Antarctica, and that was quite an adventure.  This was easy by comparison.  24 hours in the air, followed by a taxi to the hotel, and then a brief walk to the nearest public gardens to my hotel.  No harrowing voyage across the Drake Passage, no tenuous journey in a Zodiac to the continental landmass from the ship, no special gear required.  The view I chose for my first Official picture in the continent, though, was just as breathtaking, and determining where to take that picture proved to be the biggest challenge.

In the end, I chose Fitzroy Gardens, and, I hope after reading this entry and seeing the pictures, my readers will agree with me that I chose well.  Where I am sitting now, in front of Parliament, along with the World Heritage Site at Carlton Gardens, were the other two places under consideration, both of which I have visited today in saying “Victoria Complete”, which I have now also done.  I will have plenty of time to reflect later on what it means to me to have now visited all seven continents, but it is way too hot out here (97 degrees Fahrenheit), and the wind is making my pipe smoke quicker, so I will just focus on recounting the events since I last closed and save the reflections for the hotel tonight.

I am now enjoying a modified version of my favorite Christmas tradition.  Usually, I wake up Christmas morning in Scarsdale and run down to the fireplace to find my new Christmas Pipe.  I then put on the Yule Log program on WPIX, have some eggnog, and break in my new pipe, using the same match from the pipe to light the fire.  This year, it’s a little difference, but it’s more the same than different.  I am in front of the Parliament of Victoria in Melbourne, instead of front of the fireplace in Scarsdale, I waited until early afternoon to open my present, instead of first thing in the morning, and I am drinking from my trusty water bottle, which has been to all seven continents with me, instead of a glass of eggnog, but everything else is the same.  I seem to have gotten ahead of myself, though.

After I closed en route (for my Facebook readers, I did not post that entry to Facebook, but a link can be found at the bottom of this page), I woke up for a grilled cheese sandwich and then went back to sleep until breakfast, which was a traditional English breakfast (served all around the Commonwealth I’ve learned in my travels).  We soon made our descent, and I caught my first glimpse of the coast of Australia.  It was glorious.  After we disembarked, border control was a bit of a process, since their machines were having trouble reading American passports.  It was strictly a logistics thing, and they didn’t even ask me a single question about my stay or imports.  I then withdrew some cash from the ATM and took a taxi to my hotel.

That was when I learned about the three main spots I wanted to hit today in Melbourne: Fitzroy Gardens (for my first Official picture on the continent), the Royal Exhibition Building (the WHS), and Parliament.  Tomorrow will be reserved for the Olympic Stadium.  The taxi dropped me off straight in the hotel’s driveway, and I walked right into the hotel, so, as far I was concerned, I had not yet set foot on the continent.  I changed into my casual clothes, wearing my Antarctica shirt, as I had planned for this occasion.  I relaxed a bit as I figured out my day.  I was very happy to be able to see the Olympic Stadium from my hotel window.  Soon enough, I was ready.  I loaded my computer bag with my Christmas Pipe, my Ardor pouch, an extra Cuban, and my laptop.  My water bottle would go in my cargo pocket, and my Montecristo in hand.

I asked my water bottle if he was ready.  It was going to be as big of a day for him as it was for me, too.  The water bottle had also been to all of the other six continents with me.  I bought him in Antarctica, and he came to, in order, South America, North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia with me before he came to Australia.  I suppose there is a bit of irony to the fact that there has been some tragedy associated with the water bottle each time I set foot on a new continent.

This is Mark III of the water bottle.  I lost Mark I to El Al security on my first trip to Asia.  My lost cell phone was the price I paid for setting foot on South America for the first time, but Antarctica caused Mark II of the water bottle to shatter, which was why I had to buy Mark III at Palmer Station.  My first trip to Africa resulted in the lid strap needing to be replaced, the damage occurring even before I Officially claimed the continent.  What would payment would Australia demand?

Well, I forgot to recount it in the 12/23 entry, but there was a very scary moment when I got to the office Friday morning.  I put my computer bag down, only to realize that the compartment where I keep my water bottle was unzipped, and the water bottle was not there.  NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!  I had taken a taxi to the office but had paid in cash and had no way of knowing what taxi it was.  I was in complete panic.  It took my less than a minute to find it, in the (otherwise empty) garbage can.  Apparently, when I had taken the bag off my shoulder, it had slipped out into the garbage can.  I visibly shaking and could hardly put together a complete sentence.  My coworker tried to calm me down, but it was too no avail.  She didn’t understand how much that water bottle meant to me.

Eventually, there may be a Mark IV of the water bottle, but this one was bought at Palmer Station with the express goal of bringing it to all seven continents.  If I had lost it the day I was flying to Oceania, I would have been beyond devastated.  It would have ruined the entire trip.  How could she have possibly understood that?  Okay, back to my story.

It was time to head out, and we were ready.  As soon as I got to Fitzroy Gardens (about a 5-minute walk from my hotel), I realized that I had chosen the perfect spot for a representative photo of Oceania.  There was a sandy patch, where I took my first sip of water and made my pronouncement: “7.  All seven continents.  Goal 6/17 Complete.”  I went to take my ceremonial picture, but the lighting was off, so moved around a bit, finding an even better view, in front of a stream that had all the natural features I would associate with the continent.  It was perfect.  I took my ceremonial picture there and then made my collage of some of earliest pictures from each of the seven continents.  It was Official.  I basked in my triumph for a bit before heading to Carlton Gardens.


As I walked, I reminded my water bottle of the first trip we had taken together to each of the seven continents.  I bought him in Palmer Station (Antarctica), then we went to Buenos Aires (South America).  Our first WHS in North America was Carlsbad Caverns, and we soon went to the Sweden and Finland in the Baltics (Europe).  Later that year, we went to Victoria Falls (Africa), followed by the Christmas trip to the Orient (Asia).  Now, here we were in Oceania.  Before long, I was in front of the Royal Exhibition Building at Carlton Gardens, a precursor to the World’s Fairs.  It was a WHS and is Victoria’s most iconic building.

That was when I had to start replanning.  My phone battery was starting to get low, and I didn’t have the right adapter.  Further, I expected electronic shops to be closed for Christmas Day (and possibly Boxing Day, too).  I could draw a charge off of my laptop, but that would then kill the laptop battery.  I would not be able to keep both fully charged until tomorrow night without the adapter.  I also was starting to get hungry, but finding a place that was open on Christmas Day was also a challenge.  Long story short, there was 7-11 by Parliament, and I was able to get an adapter there, along with a traditional Aussie meat pie.  I sat down on a bench nearby, so that was close enough to count as an Official meal, though I will formally claim Australia as my 69th country after dinner.  This was only for “Victoria Complete.”

I had trouble finding a good spot for ceremonial picture outside of Parliament, but I managed, and that was that.  “Victoria Complete.”  I went to the garden beside Parliament, but nothing was working right.  It was 97 degrees, so I couldn’t sit on the benches in the sun, and the grass in the shade provided no back support.




I started in the shade, where I opened my Christmas Pipe, which was wonderful, and filled it up as I listened to Christmas music from my phone, now no longer worried about the battery, drawing a charge from my laptop, knowing that I could charge my laptop at the hotel.  It was too uncomfortable to sit without back support.  I went to the benches and lit up my Christmas Pipe, but I was able to tolerate the heat better than my electronics could, which were at risk of overheating, so it was back to the shade.  The view there was perfect for the establishing shot.  I then sat down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can relax for a bit before heading back to my hotel and taking a much-needed nap before dinner.



It’s like a night and day difference.  Yes, that was a joke.  I am now back at the same spot where I wrote this afternoon’s entry, though I am sitting on the bench this time.  The temperature has dropped, but not much.  It is still in the high 80s as the clock prepares to strike 10.  The fact that whole city is in the shade, though, makes a difference, as my electronics are no longer in risk of overheating, and the heat is ambient, rather than radiant from the direct sunlight.  I promised to reflect more on this continental visit.

Of the other six continents that I had previously visited, they were much as I expected, even if, like Jackson’s famed Mary, I did not know what it would be like to experience the visit beforehand.  For each of the other six continents, though, what I experienced was what I expected to experience, even if I was lacking in my knowledge of the qualia that would be associated with the visits.

North America was where I was born, so I never had any expectations.  Europe was what I expected from photos and film, even if being there for the first time was for more overwhelming than I could have expected.  The fjords and crags, while wonderful to behold, came as no surprise, nor did any of the cultural sites.  The same was true for Asia.  The wide plains and grassy mountains were what I expected, and the cultural sites were, on paper at least, exactly what I had thought they would be.

South America was a bit of a surprise, though, since I started my time at the southern tip, but it was really no different than I expected a polar extreme to be, much the same as Alaska, and Buenos Aires was literally exactly what I expected.  Antarctica, too, looked exactly like the photos, even if I had no way of anticipating the sense of wonder I would feel when I saw the continental landmass for the first time, just as Mary had no way of knowing what she would feel the first time she saw a red tomato.  Africa, the same, looked exactly as I expected, with its abundance of green and tan and its wildlife preserves, though I had my “Mary moment” when I looked upon Victoria Falls for the first time.

I cannot say the same for Australia (or Oceania as I have been inconsistently calling it).  I had my vision of the rugged Australian outback from Survivor and from the Baz Luhrmann eponymous movie and from the movie Walkabout, but I knew this trip would be spent along the coasts, not the outback.  I had my vision of all the landmarks and the Barrier Reef and the harbors, but none of it prepared me for what I saw today.  I was simply expecting to see another city like London or Toronto or even Kingston, but that was not what I saw.  The 97-degree temperature was easily anticipated from the weather forecast, but what it meant I did not realize.

I did not realize that this city would be more like Melbourne, Florida than London, even the architecture was distinctly Victorian (another joke).  I did not expect there to be palm trees throughout the city.  I did not expect there to be so many parks with lush greenery and streams and fountains and trees.  I simply did not expect that the city would so well incorporate its tropical climate.  I should have, and I could have.  This was not a “Mary moment”, like the Great Barrier Reef or Sydney Opera House will provide, but it was simply a result of imperfect knowledge.

That stream at Fitzroy Gardens, where I took my first Official picture and set the tone for the whole day, was something I could have seen online through photos.  That I would be constantly attacked by bugs was something any travel guide could have told me.  This was simply a case of having perfect knowledge, so my surprise was clearly of learning something new, some physical fact, not of learning experiential knowledge, but rather of learning things about the continent that I had not learned in my travel planning.  I suppose that was all I wanted to add in the way of reflection, and I will be on this continent for a full week, so I’m sure there will be lots more to learn, but for now, I will just recount the events since I last closed.

After I closed, I made my way back to my hotel, coming full circle to Fitzroy Gardens, where it all began.  I dallied a bit until midnight New York time, at which point I took a picture of my new Christmas Pipe, along with the others that I had brought with me, and a cup of peppermint tea.  I posted to Facebook so that it would line up with all the other 12/25 pictures I had previously posted.  I then took my nap and woke up around 8 PM local time.  I went downstairs, only to learn that the restaurant was not open for dinner.  The receptionist called around, but it seemed like everything that was opened was fully booked.  Eventually I found a pub by Parliament that specialized in bush food with fusion style.  She confirmed that they were open, so I walked over there.

They had kangaroo on the menu.  That was all that mattered, not what spices or sauces they used to flavor it.  Pubs in the Commonwealth have a unique feature that I’ve never seen anywhere else in the world, and it is a shared technology that clearly postdates independence, so I was very confused.  You order at the bar, grab your drink at the bar, and take a placard with a number to bring to your seat.  You also have to prepay, and they bring you the food to your seat.  Elsewhere, at pubs, you either don’t use the placard, or you just order from your seat.  I ordered a pork belly appetizer, kangaroo, and a waffle with ice cream for dessert, along with a local beer.

Much to my dismay, as my Australian philosophy professor warned me, real Aussies don’t drink Foster’s, and I have been unable to find it anywhere as of yet.  In case my reader does not recall, Foster’s did a huge ad campaign in the United States with the tagline, “Foster’s, Australian for beer.”  I always dreamed of one day drinking Foster’s in Australia, but, apparently, it’s merely an export, not a local specialty.  There was a terrace that allowed smoking, so I went there.  My pork belly came before I could light up my cigar, and it was quite good and paired quite nicely with the beer.

I then lit up a Partagas, and the kangaroo came shortly after that.  It was really good, though it tasted more like ostrich than anything else.  I announced, “69”, signifying that I had now visited 69 countries.  I was very full at this point, and I still had some cigar left, so I asked for my dessert to go.  Since they don’t do takeout, they were hard-pressed to pack it up for me, and they didn’t give me a plastic bag or utensils or napkins, but I could take care of that in my room.  One problem, though, the ice cream would melt before I got back to the room if I wrote my entry.

I finished my cigar as I walked to Parliament, and claimed my seat on a bench.  What to do now?  I wanted to eat my dessert before the ice cream melted, but how to eat it without utensils or napkins?  My reader will recall that there was a large fountain next to Parliament.  A solution presented itself.  I could eat the dessert with my hands by placing the ice cream on top of the waffle and just holding the waffle with my hand.  My hands would get terribly messy, but the fountain would easily wash away that mess.

It was a perfect solution.  The dessert was delicious, and the fountain cleaned my hands very well.  I then used my water bottle to wash away whatever dirt might have been in the fountain water and returned to the bench, where I sat back down, lit up my trusty Ardor, which can now Melbourne to the list of places where it’s been smoked, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish before heading back to my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment