Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Australia - Day 5 - The Reef

12/29/16, "The Reef"

Green Island, Queensland, Australia (Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area)

Well, that's all seven of them.  At long last, I have arrived at the Great Barrier Reef.  Last night, I recounted the journeys that brought me to the other six.  This entry will recount the journey that brought me to the Reef, along with my impressions of all Seven.  I am now sitting out on a secluded beach in Green Island National Park, writing this entry on my phone, since, for some reason, my laptop didn't charge overnight, and I drained the charge by charging my phone from it.

This is as good of a place to experience the Reef from the surface as any, and I will be experiencing it from the water later in the day.  The interesting thing about the Reef is that, locally, it is not all that impressive.  What is impressive is its scope.  Being the largest coral reef in the world certainly earns it its status, but to look at it at any one spot is entirely underwhelming.

Victoria Falls is the same.  The Falls are most impressive for their length rather than local impressions.  Mount Everest and the Grand Canyon also earn their status for their size, but each the size of both of those can be beheld at a glance, unlike the Falls and the Reef.  The Harbor of Rio de Janeiro and the Paricutin Volcano are Wonders for more cultural reasons than natural ones, the Harbor, though impressive as a natural feature, is more impressive because of how it serves as a maritime gateway to South America.  The Volcano is most impressive due to the fact that it was born in modern times.

The only Wonder that is singularly impressively for what it is, naturally, both locally and globally, is the Northern Lights.  It spans all around the world, and it truly is a wonder to behold at any one location.  It is not "just another" something like the other, it is entirely unique.  Each Wonder is special in its own right, and I am glad (and proud) to have visited all Seven.  I will need to cut this short, as I am draining my precious battery life, and it is starting to rain.

After I closed last night, I published everything and went to bed.  I woke up around 6 AM and got ready.  I walked to the terminal, where I got my ticket.  Breakfast was a bit of an adventure, but, to cut a long story short, I opted for smoked salmon Benedict and a flat white.  After breakfast, I went to the boat, and we were soon on our way, arriving at Green Island before long.  Half the island was a National Park, the other a resort.

I walked through the rainforest of the National Park, it raining intermittently, before I got to the end.  Once the rain stopped, I walked out the beach, lit up an H. Upmann, and took my ceremonial picture.  That was that, all Seven.  I posted my collage and then sat down on the beach, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can start heading back to the boat.



Cairns, Queensland, Australia


Today should have been one of the best Days of the trip.  Instead, due to a bunch of bad decisions (at least five that I can count) and some unfortunate weather, it was completely devoid of enjoyment and instead purely one of fulfillment.  However, being able to say that I have seen all Seven Natural Wonders of the World is very fulfilling, and I can take some comfort in the fact that, even if I could replay the day and not make the bad decisions I did, the rain and heat would probably have precluded the enjoyment anyway.  It started when I got off the boat at Green Island and walked out into the rain.  It literally dampened my spirits, and everything was downhill from there, never being able to get my spirits back up.

It all started with breakfast, actually, and I chose wrong for breakfast, getting an overpriced smoked salmon Benedict at the hotel on the waterfront, instead of getting the full buffet, which did not include smoked salmon.  I chose this because it was my first Official meal in Queensland, and I did not feel breakfast food would otherwise be considered appropriate, as bacon and eggs have nothing to do with Queensland cuisine, while fish does.  If I had gone with the pork-based options for breakfast, bad decision number five of the day would not have happened, either, most likely, but I will get to that later.

Anyway, the rain stopped not long after I reached the end of the island, and I was ready to go.  It was time to take my ceremonial picture and post my epic collage of all Seven Natural Wonders of the World.  However, I messed up the post and had to delete it and repost it.  When you repost something on social media so soon after your first post, it reduces visibility, and only a handful of people saw it.  I had worked so hard on that post, not just on visiting the other six Wonders, but on assembling the pictures, on editing the lighting and shading, and on making the collage.  However, due to some rookie mistakes in posting, almost no one saw it.  That was bad decision number two, and it was later exasperated by a similar post that I never should have posted, but I will get to that later.



Okay, two bad decisions before I wrote my first entry, but I was ready to recover.  I sat on the beach to write my entry.  This would be a grand celebratory entry, but it was not to be.  I saw the low battery notification on my laptop and panicked and turned off the laptop to write on my phone.  Well, I would later learn that the low battery notification was left over from last night and that my laptop, in fact, had a full charge.  I had no other means to charge my phone, so, not only could I not write my entry in my usual way, but I also had to cut the entry I wrote on my phone shirt because battery life.  I was severely worried at this point about not having enough battery life for the rest of the adventure.  If I had just spent a few seconds looking at the notification on my laptop, I would have seen it had a full charge, and I would have written my entry on the beach with my laptop, and the other two bad decisions and adverse weather would have been forgotten.  Instead, I made bad decision number three.  That was where I closed at the beach.

After I closed, I took my ceremonial picture to claim the Great Barrier Reef as a World Heritage Site, with the same cigar, my water bottle, and a printout.  I posted that photo, almost immediately regretting it, as I realized that I would have gotten a far better picture to post when I went snorkeling.  I deleted it, but it further reduced the visibility of my collage.  I am still counting this as part of bad decision number two.  I then headed back towards the pier, stopping for souvenirs (and getting some good stuff!), but my main goal was to find an adapter for my phone cord, since, I believed, I had no other way of charging my phone.  I could not find one, but I did get a case to use my phone underwater.

When I got towards the pier, I had some extra time, and I tried draining whatever charge remained on my laptop to my phone.  It kept charging and charging.  That was when I started to realize what was happening, though I would not confirm my theory until I got back to the hotel.  I guessed correctly that the notification was left over from last night, as there was no way I could have gotten such a charge onto my phone from 6% battery life on my laptop.

It was now approaching midday, and it was hot as hell.  My reader will recall that we are not even 17 degrees below the equator.  The heat was all-encompassing and overwhelming.  There was no mistake, and I do not do well in the heat.  It completely drains whatever faculties I may have for enjoyment.  It is no coincidence that all my top trips took place in either cool or temperate climates.  I would say that each of my Top Ten trips had an average temperature during the trip of no more than 70 degrees, other than, surprisingly, numbers one and two.

Rio 2016 was during their winter, though, so the temperature was comfortable.  Also, the pictures I posted in last night’s entry attest, I was far better equipped to handle the heat during my Grand Canyon trip than during this, though, even as a skinny twig, I always hated the heat.  Dare I even say, “The cold never bothered me, anyway”?  Antarctica and Because It’s There were cool or cold the whole trip, and all my summer trips to Europe were very temperate, as was Israel in the winter.

I was practically a zombie by the time we reached the pontoon near Norman Reef.  I had secured a wetsuit rental for the snorkeling, and the guy tried to give me an L.  I knew that would not fit me.  He gave me an XL, and I was still skeptical.  I went to change into my bathing suit and put the wetsuit over, but it would not close.  I swapped it out for an XXL, and that worked.  I left all my stuff on the boat, other than my phone in its protective case, and went to get my snorkeling gear.

I seem to have forgotten how to snorkel of late, and I had the same problem I had at the Belize Barrier Reef.  After about a minute, I would no longer be able to breathe, become short of breath, and have to come up for air, the process ruining my mask setup and necessitating a return to the pontoon.  This happened three times.  At this point, I just cared about getting some pictures and returning to the pontoon.  I got a great selfie underwater, but I didn’t get any good pictures of the reef.

This brings me to bad decision number four.  They had these easy scuba contraptions, where you have this new age suit that looks more like a spacesuit than anything else, and you can walk on the ocean floor and get right up to the reef.  If I had done that, I could have gotten great selfies and great pictures of the reef.  I knew that that option was available, but, so drained by the snorkeling experience, I had no interest.  If I had just done that first, all the bad decisions of earlier would have been forgotten, and it would have been a great memory.

Instead, I retrieved my stuff from the boat and went up to the smoking deck.  Still wearing my wetsuit and snorkeling gear, I lit up a Partagas and took my ceremonial picture, with my water bottle and printout to properly claim the Great Barrier Reef WHS this time.  I posted that to Facebook, and, from the reception I got, I realized that this was certainly much better than the one at the reef, but, getting such a good reception, which I had wanted to be directed at the collage, only made me more frustrated.

After my cigar, I went down for lunch, getting just some fruit and cold cuts.  After lunch, I went back up to the smoking deck to have an Ardor, the last one I had brought for this trip.  We were soon departing back for the mainland, and I was so spent at this point that I just wanted to collapse, but the heat was unescapable.  Around 5:30 PM, we arrived back at Cairns, and I went to my hotel, stopping for souvenirs on the way.  I figured that I needed to leave the hotel at 7:30 PM for dinner, so I took a nap.

This is where bad decision number five comes in to play.  I had chosen one of the best rated restaurants on Tripadvisor, a steakhouse.  Queensland is not known for their steak, though, but I had already had fish for breakfast.  This is why it was such a bad decision.  I should have had the breakfast buffet with pork-based meats and then gotten fish for dinner tonight.  There were so many great places to get fish here.  Actually, I meant to write about the Esplanade, which is the most touristy place I have seen all trip.  It has a wide selection of international restaurants: Chinese, Turkish, Indian, German, Greek, Italian, and more.  These are all countries I have visited and eaten the local cuisine during those visits.  I was here to eat Australian food.  That was why I chose the restaurant I chose.

When I woke up from my nap, it was dark out, though I had fallen asleep right at sunset.  I had no idea what time it was.  My watch said it was slightly after 8 PM, so slightly behind schedule.  I headed out and got to my restaurant.  There was a long wait for a table, and I had a dark and stormy while I waited, which was somehow disappointing.  I love that drink, but I avoid it due to the sugar.  This was not worth the sugar, not at all.

When they finally did seat me, I knew I would want red wine and a steak for the main course, but I was unclear on my appetizer choice.  The waiter recommended the bruschetta, which sounded good as described on the menu.  It soon came, and I was disappointed, almost to the point of being angry.  This wasn’t bruschetta.  This was a sea of lettuce with some other ingredients hidden beneath it.  For the price point, it was outrageous, and it wasn’t even that good.  I deconstructed each of the four pieces, putting the lettuce to the side, fishing out the cheese from the sea of lettuce to put back on the toast, and eating the meat, cheese, and mushrooms with one bite for each piece, leaving half of each piece of bread, along with the vast majority of the sea of lettuce.  The waiter asked me how it was when I was done, and I told him that it wasn’t what I expected, that it was almost all lettuce, pointing to the sea that was left over.  He shrugged and walked away with the plate.  Seriously?!?  Why the fuck did he ask me, then, if he was going to ignore my complaint???

I almost walked out at that point, but I wanted the steak.  It soon came, along with chips and, of course, more lettuce.  I figured, if the steak was good, all would be forgiven.  The chips were soggy, so that was a bad sign, and someone came by to ask me how the steak was even before my first bite.  I said that I didn’t know yet.  No one ever came back to ask me again.  If it was, I would have told them the truth.  It, too, was disappointing, but I blamed myself for going to a steakhouse in Queensland.  There was nothing special about this steak.  The steak in Hobart was far better.

Disappointed, I paid the check and left, stopping for souvenirs and an ice cream for later on the way home.  I got back to the hotel, changed into my pajamas, and went out to the balcony, where I lit up a Camacho and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get a little sleep before my early flight to Sydney.  Tomorrow is the Olympic Stadium, and, assuming that is a success, it will easily wipe out the disappointments of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment