Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Blue Mountains NP - Day 1 - The List


“Blue Mountains National Park”

12/10/16, “The List”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

I have a list, which I finished updating yesterday, the body of which has 1052 lines.  It is an ever growing list.  At the bottom of the list are two numbers, one reads 253, the other is the difference between 1052 and 253, 779.  The interpretation of those numbers is “253 Down, 779 To Go”.  Every year, new lines are added to the list, but the number at the bottom is constantly increasing from 253, hopefully at a faster pace than the number of lines grows.  That list is the list of every World Heritage Site in the world and the record of which ones I have visited.  The only reason I am sitting in that airport is so that I can increase that number from 253 to 254.  Blue Mountain National Park is one of North America’s newest World Heritage Sites, inscribed in 2015 after my visit to Jamaica, and it necessitates a visit.

When people have asked me where I am going this weekend, not once have I answered “Jamaica.”  It’s always been “Blue Mountain National Park.”  To me, that’s where I’m going.  I’ve been to “Jamaica.”  No, this is different.  This is not a trip to the beach or a chance to eat jerk chicken or a visit to Parliament in Kingston.  None of that matters.  All that matters is the uptick in that number.  It would not matter if the site was in Jamaica or Canada or Nebraska.  It is a World Heritage Site in North America, and I am on the verge having been able to say that I have seen them all.  Of the 1052 lines on that list, 104 of them are located in what I consider geographic North America.  I have been to 90 of them.  I’m almost there.  In 12 hours, I’ll have been to 91 of them.

That is the entire purpose of this trip, and that is how I am treating it.  All I packed is my computer bag with some warm-weather clothes and a shirt for flying home.  There are no beach clothes or sunscreen.  There is not even any open-toed footwear.  Will not be hiking the mountain as the trip was original planned, instead choosing to indulge in the mixed natural and cultural experience of the site, which it is how it was described, by seeing the Plaque from Moore Town.

This trip is designed around as quickly and efficiently seeing the park as possible.  I am sleeping in my own bed in New York both Friday night and Sunday night, flying out Saturday morning and coming home Sunday night.  I will only spend 24 hours in the park, driving straight from Norman Manley when I land, and then driving straight back to Norman Manley before my flight tomorrow night, not stopping in the capital or at the beach.  The new World Heritage Site.  That’s all that matters.  That’s it.

Okay, so, now for Day 1, which technically began exactly two hours ago.  I suppose Day 0 is the more interesting account.  My Persian friend and I did are semiregular pizza and movie night, which we have down to a rather rigid routine, and any variation to the routine requires approval by both of us.  We met outside the now-closed cigar shop and walked to California Pizza Kitchen, part of the tradition.  At one point, we realized I was on his right, whereas I usually walk on his left.  That change had to be immediately rectified.  At CPK, I ordered my usual appetizer, and, for the main courses, he ordered his usual pizza, while I ordered a different one, like I do every time.  We both finished our pizzas.  It was way too much food, but that’s also part of the tradition.

Now it was time for the part of the evening that is most subject to variation.  The ideal scenario is to have the pizza, then smoke a full cigar, then see the movie, then get dessert, then say our goodbyes, but the movie timing doesn’t always work quite right for that.  We had opted to see Nocturnal Animals, which was playing at 7:35 PM and 10:30 PM.  I knew that I would have to wake up at 4 AM for my flight, so neither timing was ideal.  The 7:35 PM showing seemed to early, while the 10:30 PM movie meant I’d be lucky to get 3 hours of sleep.  Well, as luck would have it, we finished dinner at 7 PM, and we had time to make the 7:35 PM showing.

We went to my place for gin and Cubans, walking to the theatre with our cigars after finishing the gin.  When we got to the theatre, we bought our tickets, and that was when things got interesting.  We got his ticket without issue, but, then I went to get mine immediately after, and it was sold out.  He had gotten the last ticket.  What to do?  Thinking quickly, I bought another ticket for a similarly timed showing on the same floor and told him to switch stubs with me and play cool.  Our ruse worked, and we found seats in the very front row of the auditorium.

The movie was amazing.  The second best movie I’ve seen of the year.  The number one best movie?  Amy Adam’s other movie: Arrival.  I was completely full from dinner, so I could not have dessert, which meant we had to forego that part of the evening.  We retrieved our cigars and walked to Park Avenue, where we said our goodbyes.  I went to my apartment, arranged my pickup for 4:15 AM, quickly packed, set my alarm for 4 AM, and crashed.

Next thing I knew, it was 4 AM.  I rushed to get ready and was downstairs at 4:20 AM, at the airport before 5 AM.  The airport was oddly crowded for so early on a Saturday morning, but I had TSA PreCheck, which also had a long line and moved slower than it should have.  These were not frequent business travelers in front of me.




Once I cleared security, I went to get breakfast, which consisted of sausage, egg, and cheese on a hero, along with coffee.  I headed to the gate to eat my breakfast there, and, when I got there, I realized that I was the only white face at the crowded gate.  I am used to that in the Caribbean, but I am not used to it when flying out of Kennedy.  I realized that tourists who are going to Jamaica on vacation would not be taking this flight, nor would they likely fly to Kingston (as opposed to Montego Bay), but it was still rather shocking.  After breakfast, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will soon begin boarding.


Moore Town, Jamaica (Blue Mountains National Park)

You have to love a town that respects their Plaque as much as this one does.  It is displayed in prominent location, next to their regional heroine’s grave, across from the school, and in view of the Blue Mountains (plural, not singular as I had been previously writing).  More to the point, everyone knows where it is.  It is a great source of pride for this small town.  My mission is accomplished.  I have increased my count to 274.  I can go home now.  No, literally, everything from this point forward could technically be considered the Return Journey.

I am sitting in the plaza of Nanny’s grave, smoking my H. Upmann, the natural beauty of the Blue Mountains in front of me, the cultural music of the Maroons behind me.  I can think of no better way to proper experience this Mixed World Heritage Site.  Is certainly an idyllic experience, and I would love to stay here longer but I am fighting daylight, and the roads back to the hotel are terrible, so I will instead just briefly recount the events since I last closed.

After I closed, we soon boarded, and I fell asleep almost as soon as the aircraft doors closed.  I woke up about halfway through the flight for club soda and chips and crackers.  I then did some schoolwork before we landed.  From the moment I landed in Jamaica, it was an entirely dysfunctional experience.  All in all, it probably delayed my arrival here by an hour, and it caused untold aggravation.  Border control had no line for visitors, but the officer scrutinized my passport for quite some time.  Then she stamped my passport with yesterday’s date and had to cross it out and stamp it again.

After I cleared Customs, I went to the ATM, and the withdrawal limit was so absurdly low that I had to double check my bank statement to make sure I didn’t do the conversion wrong.  It was barely enough for food for the next 24 hours, I reckoned.  The fee amounted to a quarter of the amount I withdrew.  I then got the car, which was another dysfunctional experience, and their one GPS unit wasn’t even working properly, so I was forced to rely on my phone, which has been an able guide so far.  When I got the car, he did a complete functional test of the lights and horn and everything for me.  Then he had me kick the tires.  That was that, I was soon on my way.

In order to get to my hotel in Port Antonio, over two hours away, I had to drive through all the side streets of Kingston, which was very hard driving, especially driving on the left.  Finally, I cleared the city, and I lit up my Yamasa and put on Red, but the driving didn’t get any better.  The “highway” was a poorly maintained road barely wide enough for one car in each direction, and it was full of curves through the mountain.  It was not an easy drive by any stretch.  After my Yamasa, I lit up a Nub and switched to Avril.

Soon enough, I arrived at my hotel.  More dysfunction, and I was to blame for part of it, having made my reservation for tomorrow night by mistake.  Their credit card machine wasn’t working right, either, and they wound up having to route it through the phone line.  I was also starving at this point.  I went up to my room to change into civilian clothes and then went in search of food, finding a place where I got some questionable fried chicken and was offered something other than tobacco to smoke after my meal.  I declined.  I walked back to the car, and put Moore Town into the GPS.  The arrival time was, fittingly enough, 4:20 PM, which was also exactly 12 hours after I left my apartment, and I lit up a Cohiba for the drive.

The road to Moore Town was also terrible, and I wound up taking a wrong turn when I got to the town, going up this hill that had a road that was only a road in the most technical sense of the word.  I was told to turn around and go down the hill at the fork instead of up like I did.  I then arrived at the town and quickly learned where the Plaque was.  I found it.  Mission accomplished.  I walked around the area a bit and took my ceremonial pictures, lighting up an H. Upmann.  I then went to the plaza, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can see if there is anything else in town and head back to the hotel.  Hopefully, I should be able to get there before dark.


Port Antonio, Jamaica


It’s Christmas in the Caribbean.  There is doubt about that.  This small town on the northeast coast of Jamaica is in full festive spirit.  While Port Antonio does not make for as impressive dateline as Istanbul or Kathmandu, where I have smoked the same 2010 Christmas Pipe I am now smoking, this has the potential to be a night to remember, or it could be another boring travel night consisting of me crashing as soon as I publish my entry.  We’ll have to see how it plays out and if I decide to smoke anything besides tobacco.  This has been a very stressful day for sure, but I make it a policy not to indulge in vices out of stress, rather preferring my vices to be used to supplement relaxation, rather than attempting to create it.

I am now sitting at the same place where I had my fried chicken lunch, far more lively at night, smoking my 2010 Christmas Pipe and sipping on some Appleton Estate rum as I look out onto the waterfront and listen to the local music.  While I have been maintaining a hard line that the only reason for this trip was because of The List, it is moments like this that make travel enjoyable.  These are the moments I remember more than the Plaques and ceremonial pictures.  It is good to be out of the hotel, which turned out to be a really bad decision for reasons that will soon become clear.

After I closed at Moore Town, I walked back towards the town and soon found a local who sold some trinkets.  I got a necklace and a bracelet as those were the only souvenirs to be found in town.  As I walked with him to his house, I saw more of the cultural value for which this was inscribed.  I then walked back to my car and took the thankfully short drive back to my hotel, arriving right at dusk.


There was a market stand a couple of blocks from the hotel that sold souvenirs, so I walked there in search of a Blue Mountains keychain.  There were multiple vendors, but none had it.  I had to settle for a Jamaican flag keychain with the colors in blue instead of green.  That was as close as I was going to find apparently.  I walked back to the hotel, and that was when the fun began.  By this point, I had a severe headache due to a lack of caffeine, the only caffeine I had had all day being the cup of coffee with breakfast.

When I got to the hotel, they were clearly setting up for something with additional Christmas decorations.  I asked for a cup of coffee, and someone went to get it.  The next half hour was interesting, to say the least.  I asked at least three different people, multiple times, about the coffee.  Each time, they went to the kitchen but didn’t come back.  I also learned that there was going to be a corporate event so that the dining room would be closed.  Further, if I wanted the daily special (read: local) as opposed to the regular dishes (read: American), I would need to wait an hour for it.  Either way, they would need to bring the food up to my room due to the dining room being closed.  That was, um, less than ideal.  Finally, after half an hour, my much-needed coffee came, and I drank the first cup before bringing the second cup to the room.

When I got to my room, I saw two chairs of Christmas decorations outside my room, making it very difficult to get into my room, especially with my bag and the coffee.  That was fun.  My plan was to take a nap before dinner, but that was prevented by a number of factors, including the temperature of the room, the loud music downstairs for the party, and multiple emails from my mother causing my phone to chirp.  I had not yet fallen asleep by 8 PM when the room service finally came.  I had asked for a Red Stripe beer, but that was not brought with the food.  The server then went to get it, but he came back empty-handed.  It turned out they didn’t have any cold Red Stripe.  Would I like Heineken?  I told him to bring me the Red Stripe and a cup of ice.  I again tried to fall back to sleep, but to no avail.

My food was getting cold, so I decided that I would have my dinner.  It was a home-style fish (whole fish) with all the local fixings.  It was decent, nothing special.  The beer was better.  After I ate, I filled up my Christmas Pipe and headed out towards the Christmas music I was now hearing, but that was inside a dark club.  The place where I had lunch seemed the better option to write my entry.  I got an Appleton Estate and went back to the same table, where I sat down, lit up my 2010 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and see where the night leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment