Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Australia - Day 2 - Melbourne 1956

12/26/16, “Melbourne 1956”
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I know almost nothing about the Games of the XVI Olympiad, and I know even less about cricket.  However, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, where I am currently watching the first day of the famed Boxing Day Cricket Test, was the home of the Games of the XVI Olympiad.  Taking place in 1956, it serves as the midway point between the Games of the I Olympiad in 1896 (the t-shirt I am currently wearing) and the most recent Games of the XXXI Olympiad in 2016.  After this, only one remains, and I will be visiting the Stadium in Sydney four days from now, where I will finally finish this quest.

Setting foot on all seven continents was easy compared to this monstrous task of stepping inside all 27 Olympic Stadiums.  “26 Down, 1 To Go.”  Those were the words I uttered as the Australian national anthem began playing before the test.  This was the only activity I had on my agenda for today, and, even with my limited knowledge of the sport of cricket, it promises to make for an enjoyable day at the G, as they call it.

When the day is over, I will be able to walk back across the street to my hotel and have dinner there before taking the overnight ferry to Tasmania.  It will be a relatively boring day, but no day that includes a visit to an Olympic Stadium can truly be considered boring, and the ferry ride to Tasmania promises to be an adventure.  Tasmania is another one of those places that I always heard about growing up but never expected to visit.  That will be the activity tomorrow, the day after I will make my way to Cairns, then the next three days will be the Great Barrier Reef, the 2000 Olympic Stadium, and my NYE Celebrations in Sydney.  On paper, it seems like a light trip, and perhaps it is, but the epicness of what is upcoming in the week to come cannot be doubted.

After I closed last night, I published from that same bench before walking back to my hotel.  I made a cup of tea and fell asleep almost as soon as I was done with the tea.  I slept intermittently and woke up for breakfast around 8 AM.  It was completely packed, and the food was depleted.  Eventually, I found a seat, and they replenished the food.  It was a proper English fry-up, and I got bangers and rashers and taters and shrooms, along with a slice of bread and some coffee.  After breakfast, I went up to the room and started to get ready.

My hotel was right across the street from the G, and I could see people walking there.  I was wondering if I would be able to bring in my computer bag, and I saw plenty of people walking with backpacks, so that answered that question.  Once I was ready, I left my suit and suitcase at the front desk and walked to the G.  I picked up my ticket and made my way to the gate.  It was packed, and it was definitely full of people gearing to spend the whole day there.  It would be an adventure for sure, even if watching cricket would be the least exciting part of it for me.  Taking my ceremonial picture, having all sorts of food, and smoking at the G would be the adventure for me.  The test meant nothing to me, but the experience meant everything.

I went through security, which was rather perfunctory and headed to my seat, as the Australian national anthem began playing.  I took my ceremonial picture and then sat down to watch the beginning of the test.  I had no idea what was going on.  After half an hour, it now being 11 AM, I went to get lunch: fries, a burger, and two beers, all of which I brought back to my seat, well, a different seat actually.  I ate my lunch at my seat, finishing my first beer with lunch and saving the second beer for my entry.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can watch a little more cricket before I go out for my smoke.


At sea, Spirit of Tasmania I, Bass Strait, En route Melbourne-Devonport


Toronto, Sarajevo, Ushuaia, and Beijing.  Those are the iconic locations where I have smoked the 2006 Christmas Pipes on various Days 1 of my Christmas trips on either 12/26 or 12/27, along with New Delhi and Kathmandu on my Thanksgiving trips.  Since this trip has slightly different timing, I am smoking at the end of Day 2 with a far less glamourous dateline than Melbourne would have provided last night, but structuring the trip like this was the price I had to pay if I wanted to include Tasmania in this trip, and that is where I will wake up tomorrow morning.  Those trips were are incredibly epic, and this trip is on track to put them all to shame.

After I closed at the Stadium, I watched the rest of the first session before heading out during the break to have an Ardor, figuring a pipe to be more proper for a cricket test than a cigar.  By the time I got back to my seat for the second session, having stopped for ice cream and a flat white (an espresso drink invented and beloved in Australia, much like a latte), I had a better understanding of the sport of cricket, but it was still a very boring thing to watch, and I spent more time looking at my phone than at the field.  It was okay.  I had nothing better to do today, and I was in the Olympic Stadium.  I was home.  That was all that mattered.

Soon the rain came, and they suspended play not long before they were scheduled to end the second session.  There would be no third session today.  I headed outside, grabbing a meat pie on the way, and found a bench in a covered area in view of the Olympic wall that listed all the champions from the Melbourne Games.  I lit up a Por Larranga, and I was fully relaxed.  As I finished my cigar, it became clear they would not be resuming play that day, so I headed back to the hotel.  It was almost time for dinner anyway.

Seeing as it was Chanukah, I even picked up a jelly donut after my cigar, along with an espresso.  This was a bad decision, as dinner was going to be in another hour or so.  As I left the Stadium, I said something that I almost never say on my travels: “That was fun.”  I don’t travel to have fun.  I travel to see the sites.  I can have relaxing at my apartment, and I enjoy that far more than I could ever enjoy lounging on the beach.  I got back to the hotel and used my laptop in the lobby for an hour before changing into my suit and heading down for dinner.

The adorable waitress asked me what I wanted to drink.  I asked if she had club soda.  She looked at me blankly with her cute smile.  I tried again and asked if they had seltzer.  “What’s that?”  I tried once more and asked for sparkling water.  “Oh, you mean just soda water.”  Yes, that was what I meant.  For food, I ordered a fish and chips made with local fish.  It took so long, and the taxi would soon be there, that I was about to walk up and leave, but it came at the last possible minute.  The restaurant was packed with people coming from the cricket test, but to wait over half an hour for fish and chips was unacceptable, and I’m sure my reader understands that I didn’t have much of an appetite to boot.

After I was done eating, I got in the taxi and was on my way.  I asked him to stop at Carlton Gardens on the way, as I had forgotten to take my picture with the Plaque yesterday.  I got my picture, and we were on my way.  I then realized that I had completely forgotten something else: souvenirs.  Yesterday, everything was closed, so I wasn’t even looking, and today was all about the Stadium, so I didn’t think about it.  I was disappointed, but I did have my souvenirs from the Stadium, and I could get souvenirs from the ferry.  How did I make such a rookie mistake?  Completely forgetting to get Melbourne souvenirs?!?  I clearly hadn’t brought my A-game today.

We were soon at the ferry dock, and I got my ticket before boarding the ferry.  I left my pajamas at my seat and then headed up to the back smoking deck, which had benches.  I lit up an Oliva and put on the soundtrack from Moana, very fitting for a long voyage by sea.  I alternated it with La La Land for Oscar comparison purposes, and “How Far I’ll Go” is my clear choice for the Oscar.  “City of Lights” is too bland, and “Fools Who Dream” is too derivative.  Meanwhile, I messaged my friend about Dwayne Johnson’s shockingly excellent singing voice.  I expected him to be asleep, as it was 4 AM back in New York, but he messaged me back.

We messaged almost nonstop about various pop culture theories for over two hours before, I suppose, he passed out, since he stopped answering.  As soon as we set sail, I lit up my Davidoff Yamasa Toro, which I traditionally reserve for the first long surface journey (car and ship both count).  After the Davidoff, I changed into my pajamas and went back up to the deck.  That was when my friend stopped messaging, and we were soon going enter Bass Strait, but I needed to wait for that so that I wouldn’t have to change my dateline.  As we started to enter the strait, a large crowd gathered to watch the passing, and I filled up my pipe.  The crowd left as soon as we entered the strait, and I lit up my 2006 Christmas Pipe and proceeded to write this entry, which I will close so that I can publish and maybe post my photos, too, before getting some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment