Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Australia - Day 8A - Auld Lang Syne


1/1/17, “Auld Lang Syne”

Sydney (Kingsford Smith) Airport, New South Wales, Australia (SYD)


“Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?”  That rhetorical question are the first words out of my mouth every New Year, the first line of the Auld Lang Syne.  It is a heartened reminder that, even as we celebrate a New Year, we must not forgot the old, the good old days that trigger a sense of nostalgia because, they, too, began this exact same way, as a New Year on January 1st.  That is what is meant when the song itself, “Should old acquaintance be forgot and auld lang syne.”  It literally translates to “old long since”, but it means “the good old days.”  This is how we know that we are remembering the old before we are celebrating the new.

The chorus is an imploration to drink to the old days, “We’ll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne.”  By drinking to auld lang syne, we ensure that the good old days are never forgot, and, I always make it a point to never forget the old, both the good and the bad, even as we ring in the New Year.  New Year’s is always a happy time, because, no matter how bad the preceding year was, it brings hope of a better year.  It is the very first page of a blank notebook, and any story can be written in the book.  That is why we celebrate and drink to oblivion, so that we can enter the year with nothing but the highest of expectations and sheer joy, while we still remember auld lang syne with a growingly distant fondness.

I suppose this is fitting on a more literal level, too, as I am about to fly to Los Angeles, where I will be meeting up with two very old and dear acquaintances over the next two days, friendships that go back to 2012 or earlier.  This is the triumphant airport entry, but it would be premature to do the final reckoning of this trip, yet, as the time in California will be an integral factor of the final reckoning.  My time in Australia was a brilliant success.  I did what I set out do, checking three Goals off of my list (all Seven Continents, all Seven Natural Wonders of the World, and all 27 Olympic Stadiums).  I had an amazing time in Tasmania, and I had an epic NYE celebration in Sydney as I rang in the New Year.  It is that epic celebration that I will now recount.

After I closed, I made my way back to the hotel, stopping outside the Museum to use their Wi-Fi to publish.  I had a bit of an issue figuring with charging my phone, and I would want a full charge before I headed out for the night.  In the end, I got up to 90%, which would be kind of tight, and it meant I would have to conserve battery power.  Around 5 PM, I started getting ready, putting on my white tie and tails in my annual New Year’s outfit.  It is an outfit I have so that I can wear it exactly once a year.  The fact that I was going to the opera tonight made it all the more appropriate.  Since I was in tails, I could only bring what would fit in my pockets, carrying a shoulder bag with tails being utterly inappropriate.  That also meant that the water bottle would stay at home, but it had done its job, coming to all seven continents with me, and, besides, I would want a bottle of champagne for the midnight picture, anyway.

I walked to the restaurant, gathering some sideways looks from people who thought it was more of a costume than an actual outfit.  Most people were wearing casual clothes, but there were a few people wearing what I’d call “creative black tie”.  I was soon at the restaurant, and they seated me with the dignified service I’d expect of Australia’s finest restaurant.  They had noted in my booking my 7:45 opera and would provide service on the proper timetable accordingly.  First they brought the complimentary glass of champagne, then bread and butter, all of which was heavenly.  For my meal, I ordered bug tails (like a mini lobster) for my appetizer and the steak for my main course.  I had a martini with each course and a second piece of bread between the courses.

The bug tail was for more exquisite than its name suggests, and the steak was as exceptional as I would have expected.  It was then time for dessert, and I chose the chef’s speciality coconut sorbet, which, of course, was far more complicated than just a scoop of sorbet.  It was divine.  After that, it was espresso and petit fours, which were on a bad of barley seeds.  I asked if the barley seeds were edible.  He said that they were but looked at me with a sidelong glance as if to say that no one eats them.  They were, quite possibly, the best part of the meal.

After dinner, I walked towards the opera house, smoking a Partagas on the way.  Australia has an interesting smoking culture, which permits smoking almost anywhere outdoors, even crowded and confined spaces.  I could not imagine being allowed to smoke in Times Square on NYE.  Multiple security guards confirmed this, no one questioning my cigar as I waited in line for security or went through the security tent.  However, I was also cognizant of the “asshole factor”, and I did not want to be a complete asshole, but, ironically, this open smoking culture made that more difficult, since there were no designated outdoor smoking areas.  Well, here at the airport, there is an entire outdoor smoking terrace, which is wonderful.

Okay, so, continuing with my story.  I was soon at the opera house and had to ditch my cigar before going in.  I was certainly the best-dressed person in the audience, but the (male) performers were dressed exactly as I was.  I took my seat and took my ceremonial picture, which I had some difficulty posting, due to the extra demand on the cell towers and Wi-Fi at this time.  The performances were delightful, and the best part was the emcee who delivered a riproaring monologue with a litany of topical humor.  There were some pieces I recognized, like the William Tell Overture, but more pieces that I did not.  No matter, it was all wonderful.

At intermission, I got a shot of gin to take outside, as the 9 PM fireworks (the “family fireworks”, as they call them) shot up over the Harbor Bridge, well-visible from the foyer.  This would be the idea spot for midnight.  Then came the second act, just as wonderful as the first act.  They did an “in memoriam” video reel that left hardly a dry eye in the house.  At end of the performance, they brought everyone out to sing “Auld Lang Syne” and invited the audience to enjoin, which I did gladly.  That was followed by the unmistakable music and dancers associated with the “Can Can”.  That was it, and it was time to go outside.  I had to strategize what I would want to do for midnight.

The outside foyer was the best area, and I would want a bottle of champagne for midnight, too, along with my cigar.  I am using the term champagne, but I mean “sparkling Australian brut”.  They sold it by the bottle there, and they said I could prepay for a bottle to pick up before midnight, but they would have to open it for me.  I got a double shot of gin to drink before midnight, and I accompanied it with a Por Larranga.  I was not the only person smoking out there, but it was crowded, and, again, I was aware of the asshole factor, despite the clear directive that smoking was permitted anywhere.

At one point, someone complained about my cigar in a very unpleasant way, but, not wanting to start a fight with him, I asked him where he’d like me to go instead.  That wasn’t good enough for him.  He wanted the fight, so I was willing to oblige.  He said that there people everywhere and that he didn’t want me to smoke it anywhere since there were people everywhere.  That was not his battle to fight.  If he complained and asked me nicely to move, I would have obliged.  If other people complained, I would have moved again.  He wanted the fight instead.  Since he didn’t tell me to move, I stayed put.  “You’re a real shithead, you know that?”  “Yes, I am,” I gladly replied, knowing that me owning that description would only further infuriate him.  I then saw him preparing his phone to take a picture of me.  Playing along, I stood in my most upright pose, looked right at him, and asked, “Do you have the flash on?”  He confirmed that he did.  Not being able to get a rise out of me, he was even more frustrated and let out some more epithets.  “You’re a special, entitled, fuckwad.”  Again, I gladly owned those titles.  Reader, the ironic part of this?  There was only about five minutes left in my cigar, and, as soon as he walked away from me, I was actually done with the cigar.

I ditched the cigar and went to the restroom.  On the way back up, I was stopped by an usher, who asked if I had a ticket for the opera.  I said that I did and asked if he wanted to see it.  He said there was no need, that I was the only person he saw dressed in tails all day, and he would have let me in even without a ticket.  It was now 11:30 PM, so I was making my final preparations.  Long story short, retrieving my bottle of champagne cost me my coveted spot on the foyer, but there was a side area where, if I got the exact right spot, the view would actually be slightly better.  I got that spot.  It was almost time.  My phone, cigar, and champagne were all ready.  The countdown began, and, at 10, we started counting aloud.

At the stroke of midnight, the fireworks erupted over the bridge.  It was glorious.  I took my sip of champagne, lit up my special Davidoff Year of the Rooster cigar, took my ceremonial pictures and started singing “Auld Lang Syne”, exactly like I do every year.  The Wi-Fi allowed me to post my pictures to social media, but texting my friends to wish them a Happy New Year was hampered by the over-burdened cell towers, which is what always happens at midnight on NYE.  I drank and smoked and wished anyone who made eye contact with me a Happy New Year, as I do every year.  I kept singing “Auld Lang Syne.”  I was happy, truly and completely happy, with nothing but the highest hopes for 2017.  It was truly a time for celebration.

As the festivities died down, I kept drinking my champagne and smoking my cigar, getting more and more toasted, long since having reached the point of “Utterly and Royally Toasted”.  It is the one time of the year I allow myself to get this toasted.  As I walked around, at one point, someone in re my tails, asked if I was going to sing for him.  “Sure, I can sing for you.  /Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?/”  He cut me off and wished me a Happy New Year, a greeting I gladly returned.  At that point, I started to make my way back finishing the bottle of champagne and leaving it on the recycling bin before I left the controlled area.

It was then time to stumble, and I mean stumble, back to the hotel.  Again, this is a definite part of the New Years’ tradition.  In case my reader lost count, that’s a glass of champagne, two martinis, three shots of gin, and a bottle of champagne (that I drank like it was a bottle of soda).  It was a good night, and it foreshadowed a good year.  By the time I got to my room, I was literally bumping into the walls, and I unceremoniously dumped my formalwear on the floor, knowing it would not be worn for another year.

I had smartly set my alarm before midnight so that I would not have to remember to do it in my drunken stupor.  “Epic and Official”, I told myself as crashed into my bed.  I slept fitfully, both due to the provocation that the porter in Macbeth says drink does and due to the text responses coming in all night.  It didn’t matter.  I would have fifteen hours to sleep on the plane.  Around 8 AM, I got up and packed and got dressed before grabbing a flat white and taking a taxi to the airport.  The airport was beyond crowded, and my flight was delayed, so I had a chance to go outside to the smoking terrace, where I sat down, lit up my 2012 Christmas Pipe (the same pipe I smoked on New Year’s Day in Quebec and Antarctica and Taipei), and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close and actually publish as Day 8A due to the fact that I am about to go back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment