Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, January 2, 2017

La La Land: The Experience - Day 1 - "City of Stars" (Australia - Day 8B)

“La La Land: The Experience”


1/1/17, “City of Stars”
Beverly Hills, California


This establishing shot might seem pretty unassuming, but it is nothing of the sort.  The iconic palm trees of Beverly Hills in the background, visible in the hauntingly beautiful twilight that the light pollution and smog eternally provides in La La Land, makes for a remarkable vista.  As I now smoke my 2013 Christmas Pipe, it is a vista that can compete with Kas (Turkey), the Drake Passage, and Seoul, the other places where I smoked this pipe during my previous Christmas trips.  It can even compete with the vistas I found in Machu Picchu and Lumbini.

The City of Stars, which this city will now forever be called if that song wins the Oscar as is projected, will join London and Quebec as the only cities outside of the Eastern seaboard that I have visited four or more times.  Quebec takes top honors at five overnight visits, but La La Land is now tied with London for four.  Each time I have visited here has been with a different purpose in mind, and the City of Stars shines just for me however I want to experience it each time.

My father always says that the mark of a good musical is if you walk out of the theatre singing the songs from the show.  It took a week or so for me to memorize all the words to “City of Stars”, but I think “La La Land” passes that test with flying colors.  In fact, my entire night was designed around visiting locations from the movie and singing along with the songs.  It’s amazing how a great movie can do that for you.

I actually make a point to visit the setting of each year’s Best Picture winner.  After “Argo” won in 2012, I went to Iran.  “12 Years a Slave”, Louisiana.  “Birdman”, well, I live in New York and go to Broadway all the time.  “Spotlight”, I will be visiting Boston in a few months and stop at the Globe’s headquarters.  “La La Land” is heavily favored to win this year, so today will have served that end, but I have gotten ahead of myself.

After I closed at SYD, I went through border control and security with no hassle and then went to duty-free, getting a bottle of rum for myself and some bottles of wines as gifts.  I then got a flat white and some macadamia nut brittle and headed to the gate.  The delays continued.  In the end, the delays were over two hours, due to a late inbound aircraft from DXB.

I counted us lucky to be out of there with only a two-hour delay, since I had been reading how flights from DXB-SYD were getting delayed by over twenty hours this week.  As long as I got to LAX this morning, there would be no problem.  The day was lightly planned, and I hadn’t even given consideration to dinner plans yet at that point.  For my in-flight movie I chose “Light Between Oceans”, which I figured was appropriate for leaving Australia, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the negative reviews.

I opted for the mushroom tortellini for dinner, which I thought a much better choice than the chicken dish.  It was delicious.  I soon fell asleep, waking up shortly before we crossed the International Date Line and went back in time to 2016.  I suppose I did stay up for another New Year’s, but no one was celebrating on the plane.  They had snacks, including cheese and crackers, banana bread, and a beef and spinach flatbread.  I ate it all before going back to sleep, waking up for breakfast.

I was kind of full at this point, them having served a little too much food for a 12-hour flight.  I ate the sausage and potatoes and half of the frittata, saving the yogurt for later, only to be reminded that we could not bring dairy products back into the States.  Well, I wound up eating it as I waited what seemed an eternity for my checked bag.  Once I went to get the rental car bus, and I was hit by something I did not expect to feel in La La Land, even in winter: cold air.

It was 43 degrees outside.  I had no cold-weather attire packed.  I had also rented a convertible, and I was not going to let a little chill stop me from using it.  On the bus to the rental car center, I looked up “La La Land” filming locations and decided I would go to the restaurant where Sebastian first plays “City of Stars” and, literally, bumps into Mia as my dinner spot, then go to Griffith Observatory, where they have their first date.

By the time I got my car, it was close to 10 AM.  My flight was originally scheduled to land at 6:15 AM, and I had planned to be on the road by 7 AM.  That necessitated a slight reordering of events.  I was due to have brunch with my father’s friend (my friend, as well, and I think I have seen him more times in the past five years than my father has) Gene, and the original plan had been to go to Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego, getting there when they opened at 9 AM or so, then meet Gene for brunch in Del Mar on my way back to La La Land.  Due to the delays, I swapped the schedule and would instead go to Cabrillo afterwards and get to the hotel a little later.  I didn’t mind getting to the hotel later, as long as the other activities fit their way in the schedule.  I called Gene and told him I’d be meeting him around 11:30 AM for brunch.  The timing would be perfect.

On the plane, I thought to myself with some amusement that, in the past two months, I had driven on the left for close to 3000 miles in three countries since the last time I drove on the right, and I wondered if I had forgotten how to drive on the right.  It was not funny.  I had actually forgotten how to drive on the right.  As soon as I got out of the parking lot at Hertz, I misjudged the positioning of the car and collided hard the right front tire and the curb, breaking off a piece of the rubber and scratching the hub cap.  It was the exact same mistake (on the opposite side) I had made in London.  As I drove, more than once, I found myself turning into the left side of the road and having to readjust myself.  It took me almost two hours to get the hang of driving on the right again, and I’m still not fully there yet.  I lit up an LFD for the drive, played the soundtrack to “La La Land”, and blasted the heat to accommodate for the cold air coming in through the open top.

Not long after I finished the LFD, I was at Gene’s place in Del Mar.  He introduced me to his housemates, and we then went out for brunch, him giving me the history lessons of this historic community along the way.  We went to what is now “L’Auberge” and was built on the site of the old Hotel Del Mar, a former haunt of movie stars.  It was a high-end resort, and the menu looked most interesting.

I kept it simple though and ordered tacos and hash browns, along with coffee.  We talked about a wide range of topics, including the writing business, politics, and philosophy.  While we aligned politically at the macro level, we found plenty of nuances where we disagreed, which led to a fruitful discussion.  After my main course, I got a brownie dessert, which was divine.

We then went back to his place so that he could show me his abode, along with a seriously impressive book collection, including two full shelves of poetry.  It was then time to say our goodbyes, and I did so very much hoping to see him again during a future trip to SoCal, whenever that may be.  I suppose it will probably be the next time I decide to go to Comic Con.  I then made my way to Cabrillo National Monument, which should have been a very short drive, and I lit up Graycliff for the way.

It took me about half an hour to the entrance to the area, about a mile from the VC, and my GPS said it would take ten minutes to get the rest of the way.  That couldn’t be right.  Well, there was bumper-to-bumper traffic, almost all foreign tourists, and it took twenty miutes to go that last mile.  I suppose they all wanted to be there for sunset, but I had not expected any kind of crowd at all.  It was where Jose Rodriguez Cabrillo became the first European to land in California in 1542.  There was a statue of him overlooking the bay.  I did my business at the VC, lit up a Camacho, and went to take my ceremonial pictures at the statue.  I also went to the lighthouse to take a picture with the replica of the lighthouse I had gotten at the VC.  From there, it was straight back to my hotel, finishing the cigar on the way.

As I approached the hotel, I passed and drove on the streets with iconic names, such as Sunset Boulevard and Rodeo Drive, well known all over the world.  I settled into the room and went straight to the restaurant, called the Smoke House, which was used as the filming location of the bar where Sebastian got fired for playing “City of Stars”.

There was no piano there, but the interior was unmistakable.  I hadn’t even looked at the menu previously, so I had no idea what to expect.  It was like an old-timey Italian steakhouse, the kind of place with big portions and waiters with bigger personalities.  I got the garlic bread for appetizer and the prime rib with fries and mushrooms for main course, along with a Manhattan to drink.

I knew that I would have trouble finishing the food, and worried that the one drink was so big that it would impair my driving ability.  I was wrong on both accounts, but only barely.  I finished the meal, but it was not easy, and it was some of the best steak I’ve ever had outside of New York.  The drink left me basically the least sober it could have and still have made comfortable driving.  From there, it was a short drive to Griffith Observatory, and I lit up a Nub as soon as I walked out of the restaurant.

When I got to Griffith Park, the main entrance was closed, and I had to circle around to the other entrance, again, shocked at how big of a crowd it drew and, again, almost all Asian tourists.  Where I parked was where Mia and Sebastian lost their cars, sang “A Lovely Night”, and had their iconic first dance, the one shown on the movie posters.  I left my cigar by the car, since smoking wasn’t allowed in the park, and joked that I hoped I didn’t lose my car like Mia and Sebastian did.

It was quite a walk to the Observatory, and the planetarium was closed, along with the gift shops.  That was a major disappointment, but I found another spot that I recognized from their first date.  After that, I headed back towards my car, but, somehow, the walk seemed much longer, and I worried if I had made the same mistake that Mia and Sebastian did.  Eventually, I found my car (and cigar) and relit the cigar before driving back to the hotel.  Once I got back to the hotel, I went out to the balcony, where I will definitely be sleeping outside, lit my 2013 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment