Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

La La Land: The Experience - Day 2 - "The Fools Who Dream" (Australia - Day 9)

1/2/17, “The Fools Who Dream”

Aboard VX 170, En route LAX-EWR


Usually at this point during the trip, I would be writing my final, triumphant airport entry, celebrating the amazing success that the trip had been, but I pretty much already did that when I was departing from SYD two Days ago.  However, today, I do not feel the triumph of the perfectly planned and executed trip that I felt leaving Australia, but I feel, instead, sadness that this trip must come to an end and that I must go home.

The fact that the trip ended in the company of one of my oldest and dearest friends only made saying goodbye to La La Land and ending the trip even more painful, our farewell emphasizing the finality of the trip itself.  The fact that this entry has a en route dateline, rather than being a proper airport entry, evinces that we postponed that farewell as long as possible without missing my flight, which I almost did.  All of this contributes to this trip being able to make a strong claim as being one of my ten greatest trips of all time, and this entry will be the final reckoning that allows me to make that judgment.

When I set out to see the world, five years ago now, it seemed like a foolish dream, and, as I kept adding to the Goals before I got an eventual list of 17, they seemed even crazier.  How would I possibly visit all seven continents?  I can’t go to Antarctica.  Surely visiting the Seven Natural Wonders of the World was just a foolish dream?  How could I ever go to Everest, surely that was not possible without a hiking background?  How could I visit all 27 Olympic Stadiums, much less set foot inside of all 27?  That was just another foolish dream, was it not?  Well, here’s to the fools who dream, crazy as they may seem.  All 17 of those Goals I set for myself no longer seem a foolish a dream, and they will all be completed by the end of this year.  

There is some irony that my time in La La Land was designed around exploring sites in Southern California, while it was the unplanned parts in La La Land itself that were most enjoyable, by, which, of course, I mean my “La La Land” tour last night and dinner tonight.”  The fulfillment value I got from visiting the three National Park Sites was insignificant compared to the enjoyment value of my two nights here.

When I closed at SYD, I knew that, if my time in La La Land went well, this trip would secure itself a spot in the top ten of all time.  I think it is safe to say that my time here went as well as could possibly have been imagined.  After I closed at DOH two months ago at the end of my “Because It’s There” trip, I declared that trip to be in two-way tie for fifth with my first trip to Europe, and I ranked the remaining as follows: Antarctica at seventh, Greece at eighth, Israel at ninth, and TLGRSTA at tenth.

It is abundantly clear to me that this trip is worthy of a spot on that list.  TLGSRTA was amazing, and I am loathe to dislodge it from the top ten.  My mother and I had a great time visiting three National Parks in the northern Rockies, two of them World Heritage Sites.  Combining Yellowstone and Glacier together was done in such an epic fashion, and my time in the Canadian Rockies and across the prairie could give the Yellowstone/Glacier portion a run for its money.  The natural scenery I saw during that trip beats any of these five trips I am mentioning, with the exception of Antarctica.  However, it was lacking in any really cultural experiences.

Greece suffered the opposite problem, being a purely cultural experience, but it is very hard for something to beat going to Greece at the height of my obsession with Greek mythology and seeing the Athens 2004 Stadium being finished months before the Games.  No, not the Sydney Opera House, nor even the Sydney 2000 Stadium can compete with Greece in that regard.

As for purely natural experiences, Antarctica would win the prize for that (of the five I am considering).  The social experiences, though, is what made the Antarctica trip so special, but reuniting with my friends over the past two days is almost of the same level of the new friends I made in Antarctica.  My New Year’s celebration in Sydney was almost as good as the one in Antarctica.  Reader, what word do you see me using in both sentences?  Almost.  That means that this trip was almost as good as my trip to Antarctica.  Likewise, due the special circumstances surrounding my trip to Greece, this trip falls short of that one as well.

What about Israel?  Yes, Israel was a good mix of natural, cultural, and social experiences, and it was my first time to a new continent as well.  However, it was dampened by the loss of the water bottle before I even arrived at Ben Gurion.  Without the loss of the water bottle, it would be contest between these two trips, but given the fact that Mark III of the water has now been to all seven continents, I think that the door is opened to competition.  The social aspects of Israel, though forced, beat out my two reunions this weekend by a slim margin, even if those friendships have all but died off.  The cultural aspects of visiting my homeland beat out, by a slim margin, the cultural sites that I have visited this trip.  However, the natural beauty of Tasmania beats out anything I saw in the deserts of Israel.  New Year’s Eve in Sydney was a more memorable experience than anything I did in Israel.

I am very tempted to say that this trip is tied with Israel for the ninth spot, but I have to give the edge to this trip because I controlled the schedule, rather than being subjected to a tour group, and, overall, this trip left a more memorable positive impression, though, the next time I do a reckoning, things might change.

This trip was special in so many ways, but something I realized, and this is a reason that it is not ranked higher, is that I enjoy the chase far more than I enjoy the completion.  I enjoy checking things off the list far more than I enjoy the list being fully checked.  That is why the “Because It’s There” trip, which left only this trip to Complete two of my goals ranks so much higher than this trip.  London 2012 and the Mountain were more fulfilling, knowing how close I was to completing those two goals, than Sydney 2000 and the Reef were.  Likewise, visiting Antarctica for the first time, leaving only Africa and Australia, was more fulfilling than finally saying that I had been to all seven continents.

On my master spreadsheet, the one that tracks all of my upcoming (and past) trips and my progress towards my 17 Goals, there is a sheet that is called “40 Goals (Tentative)”, which will be finalized before I leave for Hawaii and will be a necessary part of any travels I undertake following the completion of my “30 Goals.”  A note on the language I am using here.  The “17 Goals” and “30 Goals” are interchangeable, being the 17 Goals I am aiming to accomplish by the time I turn 30.  When I finalize my list of “40 Goals”, they may be 12 or 14 Goals, but they will still be called “40 Goals” for simplicity’s sake.  Those would be the Goals I aim to achieve before turning 40.

Having that list gives my travels purpose in a way that aimlessly wandering about does not, and working towards those Goals is far more fulfilling than finally achieving them.  That is why the goalposts are always shifting.  That means that the moment I make my pronouncements later this year about having completed my 30 Goals, I will begin pursuing my 40 Goals almost immediately after taking a bit of a break from travelling.  That is what this year is about, closing out these Goals, and it began with this trip.  Okay, so how did my second Day in La La Land play out?

After I closed, as promised, I slept out on the balcony, waking up freezing cold around 8 AM.  I had a 6 PM dinner reservation with my dearest friend, who lives here, and I did not want to be a minute late for that.  Our timing was as tight as possible, and I would have to go straight from dinner to the airport, forgoing my airport entry so that we could have an extra hour together.  I calculated that the absolute latest that I could l leave the hotel was 11 AM, but I really wanted to be on the road by 10 AM.  My plan was to have a morning cigar on the balcony after breakfast.  I was too tired to allow that and went inside to sleep for another hour.  It was close to 10 AM by the time I got out of bed, and I knew my time at the two National Park Sites would need to be cut short due to the late departure, which would now be after 11 AM.

I went down for breakfast and opted for the corned beef hash with eggs, along with coffee and club soda.  The meal was disappointing, as they did a gourmet style of it, which was nowhere near as good as the peasant style I would get at a diner.  The service was fantastic, but I had some serious sticker shock when I got the check.  The meal price was expensive, but I was prepared for that.  The drink prices, though, were outrageous.  My coffee and two small bottles of club soda somehow being as much as the meal.  The coffee was obnoxiously expensive, and the club soda bottles were so small that one didn’t even fill up the glass with ice.

After breakfast, I went up to the room to pack and get ready.  I also had to stitch up the rip in my pants where my wallet had torn through last night.  I did a horrible job, and the stitching has long since come undone.  I headed down, and my car was soon ready.  It would be a two-hour drive to Cesar Chavez National Monument, which was completely out of the way and nothing more than a stamp and photo op for me.  I lit up a Graycliff and started driving north and up into the mountains.  My top was down, and it was impossible to close as I drove , even as the temperature dropped into the 30s.

Eventually, I arrived at the NPS, and, I was almost done with an Oliva that I had lit during the drive.  I left it outside the VC and went in.  They were out of brochures.  NOOOOOOO!!!!!!  The NPS brochure is the most Official part of an NPS visit.  If I had known they were out, I would have never gone, saving it instead for whenever I went to Devils Postpile NM.  Worse, there was nothing to see at the site.  Properly, it should have been a National Memorial, not a National Monument, but NMems require Congressional approval, and a Republican Congress would never approve a federal memorial to a Californian labor leader.  They had a paper brochure, which, while not Official, allowed me to get my stamp and pose for ceremonial pictures.

I was done there at 2 PM, and it would be another two hours back to Santa Monica to see the NPS there.  I wouldn’t have time for sitdown lunch, but I had seen a Sonic on the drive up, and I could stop there.  I drove with my top down, intending to have another cigar after lunch.  Well, reader, I never saw the Sonic, and, by 3 PM, it was now too close to dinner time to have lunch, but hunger was starting to preclude any enjoyment I could get for the rest of the day.  A drove the whole two hours without a cigar, an oddity for me, and, as I approached my destination, I saw a 7-Eleven right on the side of the road.  That was perfect.  I could get a coffee and a small, hot snack to take the edge off and keep me going until dinner.  The whole process took five minutes.

I was back on the road and soon arrived at Santa Monica Mountains NRA.  I got to the VC, and they had brochures and stamps there, so I was in business.  They also pointed me to some scenic overlooks, so I was in business.  I was racing against sunset at 5 PM, as the drive from there to the restaurant would take less than an hour, even stopping for gas.  I lit up my last Cuban, a Por Larranga, and took my ceremonial pictures before getting back on the road.  After the cigar, I stopped for gas and went to the restaurant.  I struggled to find parking, but my friend had texted me that she found parking around the block.

I parked across from a familiar-looking black Camaro.  The house I parked in front of had an open door with an old man, who had a huge Star of David around his neck.  He gestured for me to come inside.  Hesitant, I didn’t feel right about refusing his request.  He pointed to a pile of assorted items on the floor and asked me to move it from the entrance area to the corridor.  It seemed an odd request, and, as I helped him, I noticed some very strange relics around his house, including odd masks and skulls.  I was now downright apprehensive.  Looking at him, I thought to myself, if need be, I could take him.  In the process of picking up some of the clothes, which it mostly seemed to be, with odd things mixed in, I ripped the stitch I had made in my pants.  Lovely.  I finished his task and went to meet my friend outside the restaurant, which was not opened yet, as we were early.  This was very clearly the Jewish part of town, confirmed both by the Jewish delis and my encounter with the old man.

My friend and I warmly greeted each other, and I told her what had just happened.  As I explained it, she seemed to think that I had parked in the wrong area.  How could that be?  Surely that was her black Camaro across from my car?  Unless there were two black Camaros parked on the same street, I wondered aloud.  We still had time, and her gift was in the trunk of my car, besides.  We got to my car, and I asked her, “Isn’t that Bagheera [her name for her car]?”  It wasn’t.  There were two black Camaros.  We drove towards where her car was, and I found a legit parking spot, where no one asked me to move clothing for him in the process.  I retrieved her gift from the trunk, and we walked to the restaurant.

It was good being reunited again, and we wasted no time in telling each other the details of our trips from the past week, me in Australia, her in New York.  It worked out well that we were able to meet here, as I was afraid that we would literally wind up crossing paths in the air on our flights home, her flying EWR-LAX, me flying LAX-EWR.  The theme of the menu was popular dishes made with unconventional ingredients, including offal.  We got a bottle of their house red, and four plates to share.

We chose the sweetbreads, bone marrow, oxtail “poutine”, and pork belly sliders.  We took some pictures together, and the food started coming one plate at a time.  It was all good, very good, but nowhere as good as each other’s company.  I was watching the timing, wanting to enjoy every last minute we could together.  After we talked about our trips, the conversation turned to a more personal nature, all of which is, of course, unpublishable out of respect for privacy, but we discussed relationships past and present and various ideas about our futures.

It was a good conversation, one that was very deep and meaningful, and one that I didn’t want to end.  We got dessert and finished our wine, but, the time had come, and if I stayed one minute later, I would risk missing my flight.  We walked together to our cars and said our goodbyes.  It truly was the perfect way to end this epic trip.

It was now two hours before my 10:20 PM flight, and it only took me half an hour to get to the airport.  I returned the car right away, and took the bus to the terminal, but, that was where the fun began.  There was brutal traffic on the way to the terminal, and I worried that that was foretelling a long line for security.  It was an hour before the flight when I got inside the terminal, and I had to drop off my bag to be checked.  Then, security had a long line, and I was now seriously anxious about missing my flight.

Finally, I got through security and headed to my gate, getting there as they announced the final boarding call with five minutes before they would close the gate.  I had made it.  Barely.  And it meant that I had maximized my time with my friend to the last possible minute.  I sat down in my seat (the middle seat being fortuitously open after the passenger relocated), where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish, along with closing out this epic trip.  Next stop: Hispaniola, where I will be able to say, “Caribbean Complete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment