Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Hispaniola - Day 2 - Across the Island

1/15/17, “Across the Island”

Cap-Haitien, Haiti

As the sun sets over Cap-Haitien, I finally have a chance to relax, after spending almost the entire day on a bus ride across the island, from Santo Domingo to Cap-Haiten.  It was around 8 AM when I left my hotel in Santo Domingo, and I did not get to my hotel in Cap-Haitien until close to 4 PM, which was actually nine hours later, due to the time zone difference.  This was very much a dead day, but it was necessary in order to complete my mission, and I’m sure my reader will believe me when I said I considered every option.

In order to say, “Hispaniola Complete”, I need to visit three places: the WHS and legislative building in Santo Domingo, which I did yesterday, the WHS slightly south of here, which I will do tomorrow, and the legislative building in Port-au-Prince, which I will do tomorrow or Tuesday.  I considered four different options in order to visit all three places, and this one turned out to be the most elegant.

Tomorrow is now suddenly up in the air, as my plan of taking a taxi from here to Port-au-Prince seems not to be the best way of getting there, instead, perhaps, a flight would be the better option, but I have plenty of time to figure that out before I go to sleep tonight.  On that note, I would like to address a theme I have mentioned a few times, but I have not properly illustrated it.

Reader, take a look at that map here.  On the westernmost side is Baffin Island and Labrador, both part of Canada, clearly part of North America.  A little further east is Greenland, which takes up the bulk of the frame.  That is also clearly part of North America.  Now, look at the westernmost side, and you will see the British Isles with the Faroe Islands slightly to the north.  Those islands are both clearly part of Europe.  Now, look at lonely Iceland, so far from any other landmass in Europe and so close to its big brother of Greenland.  Based on this image, it should seem quite intuitive that Iceland is part of North America, and my claim is supported based on the positioning of the continental plates that I mentioned on Friday night, the border between the North American and European continental plates running through Iceland’s old parliament, west of Reykjavik.  Why did this come up, and why is it so important?

Well, to answer that, look at this map here.  See the lower tip of that red dot?  That represents a WHS called Cocos Islands National Park.  It is part of the country of Costa Rica, a North American country, but look at where that island is located.  It so far south of any North American landmass that surely it must considered part of South America.  It is only 5 degrees north of the equator, and the southernmost city in Panama is over 8 degrees north of the equator.  Tectonic plates are of no use in determining this one, since Cocos Plate is actually its own plate.


Okay, I had to pause to relocate to get out of the rain, but here’s the crux of it.  I could easily argue that Cocos Island was part of South America, but, doing so, would require me to argue that Iceland was part of North America.  In order to visit Cocos Island, it requires a two-week trip, including 9 days aboard a very expensive diving boat.  That is just for that one WHS.  Iceland could be done in a weekend, or, as I am doing it, part of a 9-day trip that includes Greenland, which I had to visit anyway, and it would have been criminal to omit Iceland from my Greenland trip.  Further, the North draws far more than the Tropics do.

It is for those reasons that I chose to use the interpretation that put Reykjavik in North America and Cocos Island in South America.  This interpretation also puts Curacao, which has its own World Heritage Site, in South America, as, though it is a Caribbean Island, it is part of the South American Continental Shelf.  That is why I will be waiting until I get to Reykjavik in June to announce that I have been to every country in North America.

However, as of writing this entry, I have visited each of the 23 countries that most atlases list as being the only countries in North America.  I will visit Curacao, sooner rather than later, possibly even this year if I can figure out how to do it cheaply during a free weekend, and, it is at that point that I will say, “West Indies Complete.”  This trip instead, my proclamation will need to be phrased “North American portion of the West Indies Complete.”  Enough with the geography lesson.  I am now smoking my 2011 Christmas Pipe, and I can add Cap-Haitien to the list of datelines that includes Quebec Hong Kong, West Palm Beach, Everest and Sydney.  Cap-Haitien is in good company.  Since this is a dead day, there is not much to record, and it promises to be less interesting than the above geography lesson.

After I closed, I headed out to the cigar lounge where I found, to my delight, the #1 Cigar of the Year, fittingly enough, a special edition La Flor Dominica, called the Andalusian Bull.  I paired that with a glass of their finest Dominican rum, and I was in heaven.  After the rum, I went back to my hotel with the rest of my cigar, posted my photos, and soon went to sleep.

I woke up all-too-soon so that I could have breakfast before I got on the road, opting for a fried yucca cracker topped with eggs, ham, and cheese, along with coffee and a the Taquero cigar I had bought after dinner.  I got to the bus station, and it was kind of hectic, but I had soon purchased my ticket, and, not long after, we boarded the bus.  I had half the bus to myself, the other two or three passengers deciding to cram in the front.

It was a boring bus ride, like the rest of the day, and we stopped for lunch in Santiago and to onboard some more passengers, all of whom also crammed in the front, so I continued to have the back to myself.  I had some snacks, various combinations of starch and cheese.  Around noon, we were off.

I slept until we reached the border, which was an entirely perfunctory process, but there was a clear difference there from what made Santo Domingo look like a modern city by comparison.  I was clearly in Haiti.  As we drove to Cap-Haitien, the visions I had had of Haiti from pictures was reconfirmed.

Ruined by earthquakes and hurricanes, this was clearly a country where man had failed to assert his dominion over nature, instead settling for finding a place in nature.  Everything about the country, including the rudimentary construction of the buildings, confirmed this.  When we got to Cap-Haitien, it was more developed, and the bus stop was literally a block away from my hotel, but it was steep hill to get to the hotel.

I checked in and resituated myself.  I had not had a proper lunch, so I planned my next hour or so.  I had it all brilliantly planned.  I would light up my Cuban, then have dinner, which would allow me to claim Haiti as my 71st country, then I could have my Christmas Pipe and begin my entry before sunset.  I did exactly that.  I lit up a Partagas and headed down to the restaurant by the pool.

The menu looked good, so I sat down for dinner.  I opted for some kind of fritter for my appetizer, and, for my main course, I chose creole goat stew, figuring that was as traditional a Haitian food as possible.  I also got a local beer to accompany it.  The meal was delicious, and that was my first Official meal in Haiti.  I then got a much-needed coffee as I finished my cigar.


After dinner, I went to reception to get the Wi-Fi code, and I asked them about the statue I had seen of the WHS at their front desk and where to purchase it.  One thing led to another, and they would later advise me that I should fly to Port-au-Prince, instead of taking a taxi.  I am now booked on a 1 PM flight to Port-au-Prince, which will get me there much quicker than the taxi would have.  There is also a later flight in case anything goes wrong, and, worse case scenario, I can still take a taxi to Port-au-Prince at 1 PM.

I went back to my room and filled up my Christmas Pipe before heading back to the pool area, stopping at reception on the way to discuss logistics.  It was around sunset, and I sat down by the pool, in view of the bay, where I lit up my 2011 Christmas Pipe and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and, later, post my photos before crashing, since I now have to get up pretty early tomorrow, and I am quite tired already.

No comments:

Post a Comment