Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Hispaniola - Day 1 - Of Coffee and Cigars

1/14/17, “Of Coffee and Cigars”

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic


As my brief time in the Dominican Republic draws to its inevitable close, I am pleased to report the two lessons I have learned about this city, two lessons that I learned even before breakfast this morning, and two lessons that may draw me back here again in a way that other places have not.  The first is of coffee, that you never have to walk far to find a place with a killer cup of coffee or shot of espresso.  The second is of cigars, that bringing cigars to the Dominican Republic as about as useful as bringing coal to Newcastle.

That is my favorite part of the Spanish Caribbean (and Central America, which, as part of the North American tropics, is more the same than different).  Every Spanish-speaking country in this region grows great coffee, and they love to drink it, so finding a delicious cup of local coffee is never a problem.  Further, every country in this region grows tobacco, though some countries are better at it than others, and the biggest cigar countries (Honduras, Nicaragua, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic) are all located in this region.  Here in Santo Domingo, they love to smoke cigars, and almost every block in the Colonial Zone had some type of cigar shop, where they sold either the big brands or, often, unknown brands that they roll in the shop.  It was marvelous.

I suppose there is some irony that I am writing this entry, though, while smoking a pipe, my 2010 Christmas Pipe to be precise.  It is the same pipe I smoked in Kathmandu and Sydney at the end of last year, the same pipe I smoked Quebec and Istanbul, the same pipe I smoked in Belmopan and, most interestingly, Nassau.

The coffee and cigar culture here is very similar to that of Nassau, except that tobacco and coffee production in the Bahamas is entirely monopolized by Graycliff.  While Graycliff makes exceptional product, it is quite different being somewhere with a dozen brands of tobacco and coffee, different ones at every shop, than being somewhere where one brand is king.  That said, I would much sooner spend another night at the Graycliff hotel in Nassau than come back here again.  I have no plans to do either any time soon, but these are the type of experiences I would sooner repeat than seeing Paris or Rome again.  Okay, enough of that.

After I closed last night, I could not connect to the hotel Wi-Fi, so I had to run a signal through my phone, which was a slow process.  It was 3 AM local time by the time, I was ready for bed, and I trouble falling asleep.  I then slept fitfully through the night, waking with less than 6 full hours of sleep before I had to head down for breakfast.  There was a bit of a process involving the voucher for breakfast, which I purchased but should not have, since it precluded me from getting the full menu.  In the end, I did order exactly what I wanted, the typical breakfast called “Los Tres Golpes” or “The Three Hits.”  It consisted of fried plantains, fried cheese, and fried eggs.  I also, of course, got a coffee to go with it.

There was a cigar shop next door with a roller sitting down inside.  I picked out a cigar, which would serve as my first Dominican cigar in the Dominican Republic.  The brand was called Caoba.  I had never heard of it.  It was fantastic, and I lit it up and brought it back to the table, where I awaited my breakfast.

The breakfast soon came, and that was my first Official meal in the Dominican Republic, my 70th country.  At this point, I would like to correct two things from yesterday’s entry.  The first was that I had omitted a crucial part of what was necessary to say, “Dominican Republic Complete.”  It is necessary for me to take a ceremonial picture in front of the national legislative building, and I had forgotten about that last night.  The second was the country count in North America.  It is 24, not 17, as I had forgotten to include the 7 countries in Central America in my count.  That means, at the conclusion of a successful trip to Hispaniola, I will have been to 23 of the 24 national legislative buildings in North America.

After breakfast, which was, reader, say it with me, quite good, I headed back to my room to resituate myself and finish my cigar.  After my cigar, I headed back down and went to the cathedral, the oldest in the Americas and the spot of the WHS inscription photo.  I lit up an H. Upmann and navigated a bit of a maze of gates to get into what I thought was the exact spot of the inscription photo.  Just as I was about to take my ceremonial picture, it started raining and then pouring.  I waited out the rain and then went to take my ceremonial picture again.

I then realized that the picture was actually taken from outside the gates.  Reader, do you know what that means?  If I had realized that at first, I would have easily taken my ceremonial picture from outside the gates before it started raining.  I navigated back outside the gates and gave my ceremonial picture a third try.  I got the right angle for the back-facing picture, but the selfie was off, so I had to redo it.


Meanwhile, I was approached by a local who was far too helpful.  I knew that, the moment I engaged with him, it would leave my bankroll a bit lighter by the end of the day.  Reader, he tricked me.  I fell for it.  He told me he was going to take me to the Arturo Fuente factory.  I told him to wait while I got the perfect selfie and posted it to social media.  Once I was done, I followed him.  It was not a factory, it was a tourist shop that sold OpusX at almost triple the price I spend in New York.  I was not interested.  I got two cigars I hadn’t seen before, plus some souvenirs, along with some flag souvenirs at the shop next door.

At this point, I just needed my cathedral souvenirs, but, apparently, that did not exist.  No model of the cathedral was for sale at any shop in Santo Domingo, despite my new friend diligently helping me in my quest.  I knew that I would have to give him a small tip at this point.  Our quest ending in failure, he walked me back to my hotel, and I gave him a little something before heading up to my room to resituate myself again.

I finished my cigar and went in search of something called the “Tobacco Museum”, but it seemed not to exist.  I had wanted to get another local cigar for the last part of my mission for the day, seeing the National Congress building and saying, “Dominican Republic Complete.”  I had a scary issue with my phone, but a reboot fixed the problem, and, as I walked outside, I was greeted again by my new friend.  I asked him if he knew where the Tobacco Museum was.  He said it didn’t exist, but he would take me to a cigar factory where they roll the cigars.

I knew that this adventure would cost me more off of my bankroll, but it would be worth it, I hoped.  We got to the little cigar shop, and they immediately put a freshly rolled cigar in my mouth, and it was lit just as quickly.  The cigar was so good (and inexpensive) that I wound up buying a box.  I asked my new friend if he could take me to the National Congress and showed him a picture.  He said it was a short walk, and he would walk me there.  That didn’t seem right, since I thought it to be 3 miles away, but he insisted that the building in the picture was a 15-minute walk.  I took him at his word.  As we walked, he introduced himself as Eduardo and showed me his tour guide ID card.  That seemed legit enough.

We soon came to the building in the picture, and I realized the misunderstanding.  This was the National Palace, not the National Congress.  It was the executive residence, not the legislative building.  “El Senado,” I asked.  He said we would need to take a taxi, and he got a taxi to take us there.

At this point, I decided we would go for the trifecta and take pictures together in front of all three branches of government, which was easy enough, since I knew the Supreme Court to be in the same complex as the Congress.  My phone battery was almost dead, so that would be the real challenge.  We got to the Supreme Court and took our ceremonial picture there, before going to the National Congress.  This was it.  It would be the trifecta, just like I did in Lima, and it would be “Dominican Republic Complete.”

We took our ceremonial pictures, and I made my pronouncement.  “That’s the trifecta, and that means, Dominican Republic Complete.”  It was at this point that he scammed me.  I fell for it only because I was so absorbed in my excitement over my pronouncement and in posting to social media.  He told me how much I needed to pay the driver, in dollars, which seemed a reasonable enough amount for our round trip, so I handed Eduardo an American banknote of slightly more than he requested.  He asked for it in pesos instead, so I gave him the equivalent banknote of pesos, which was actually slightly more, almost double the amount of the requested taxi fare.  He said he needed another banknote.  Wait, what?  No, that couldn’t be right.

So absorbed in my social media posts, I figured I had been doing the math wrong and gave him the second banknote.  As soon as I finished my post, I realized I had been scammed.  It was a small amount, but it stung nonetheless.  I also knew I would not be getting that banknote back.  These taxis have no meters, and I was in a lightly trafficked area with less than 5% battery on my phone.  He walked over to the taxi while I was still posting on social media, and I’m sure he kept one of those two banknotes for himself.

We took the taxi back towards my hotel, and he had the driver drop us off several blocks from the hotel so that he could show me a restaurant where I should go for dinner and where surely he would receive a commission if I did.  Meanwhile, he asked me for a very large tip, a specific amount, double what I had been planning to give him.  I might have given it to him if he hadn’t screwed me with the taxi fare, but the amount that I gave him evened that out.  The second banknote from the taxi “fare” plus what I actually did give him was the equivalent of what he had asked.

I then went up to my room and plugged my phone in the charger, it now at 1%, and crashed.  I woke up in time for an earlier dinner, but I went to the cigar store from this morning to get a couple of boxes first.  I had chosen a highly rated restaurant on Tripadvisor, where I could get local specialties.  I walked over there and reviewed the menu.  The house specialty was stewed crab, and it came with rice and beans.  The national dish of the Dominican Republic is “Las Banderas,” which is just meat (any meat) with rice and beans.  This would work well.

He told me to go upstairs, but every table upstairs was either occupied or had dirty dishes from the previous diner.  That was a major red flag.  I almost walked out.  Instead, I sat downstairs and ordered what I mentioned above, along with rum and sparkling water and a fried beef appetizer.  The meal was disappointing, but it served its purpose.  The rum was the best part.  It took way too long to get my check.

After dinner, I headed back to my hotel, stopping at another cigar store on the way, where I had intended do my “How they smoke cigars in” post, but, for various reasons, it would not quite work, so I instead just got a cigar to go.  I headed back to my room and, once more, resituated myself before going back downstairs, where I sat down in view of the cathedral, lit up my 2010 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish early before I, again, resituate myself and head out for the evening to see what kind of adventures I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment