Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, January 27, 2017

Taos: The Return - Day 0 - "Elections Have Consequences"

“Taos: The Return”


1/27/17, “Elections Have Consequences"
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

This time two years ago, after decisive midterm elections, Republicans had just taken control of both Houses of Congress, and, other than literally “setting foot” in the state at the Four Corners Monument, I had never properly visited New Mexico.

Now, two years later, President Trump has been sworn in as the 45th President of the United States, an event I witnessed in Washington a week ago today, Republicans still control both Houses of Congress, and I am about to head to the Land of Enchantment for what will make my fourth trip since Mitch McConnell became the Majority Leader of the Senate.  He has accomplished next to nothing at that post, but with a President more willing to sign legislation he passes, that will change over the next four years.  What has occurred since McConnell took that post, however, is that I have fallen in love with the Land of Enchantment, as is evinced by the fact by my frequent return trips.

What, however, has President Trump accomplished in the time since I saw him sworn in as President?  Well, actually, a lot.  He did exactly what he said he would do, and people seem shocked that he followed through on his campaign promises.  Is that what this world has come to, that the media goes into a tailspin when a politician follows through on his campaign promises?  For better or worse, by securing our border and restricting high-risk immigration and visas, President Trump has done what he said he would do.

When I saw him in Washington, he explained his doctrine of “America First.”  He said that it is the absolute right of every sovereign country in the world to put her own interests first and that America will no longer seek to impose her way of life on other countries, but instead serve as a model for every countries to emulate.  It’s about damn time we had a President say that.  America cannot and should not be the world’s policeman.  That is a concept I despised from the the time I first heard the expression as a young teenager.  We should neither be the mother nor father to the world.  Trump’s actions of the past week has proved that he meant it when he said, “America First.”

He said that he would “Make America Great Again”, and he is doing just that, much to the chagrin of the liberals whose sense of humanity he has offended.  Well, it should come as no surprise that he is doing this.  It is all right there in his “Contract with the American Voter.”  On November 8th, the American voters signed the contract, and now he is keeping his end of the contract.  My political beliefs should be obvious, and this is the last I will say on the issue, but the fact that he is doing what he said he would do on the campaign trail should be celebrated, not condemned.  As his predecessor said, “Elections have consequences.”

Okay, so what about the Land of Enchantment?  What keeps bringing me back?  I have already written much about why I love this state so much, and my need for completeness keeps brings me to new places in the state.  The fact that one of my best friends lives there makes it convenient, and the discounted airfare got me there this weekend than later in the year.  So, that’s a bit of an issue for me.  I seem to always forget that New Mexico is cold in the winter.  Very cold.  It’s even cold in the spring.  Very cold.  I figure that, it’s pretty far south, so it must be warm.  Well, that is true, but it is an, um, alternative fact.  The relevant fact is that it’s at a high altitude, so that makes it cold almost year-round.  This time, however, I have packed properly for the cold weather.  I have not done that in the past.

Okay, so Day 0, which was entirely unadventurous.  I had packed the night before, but I had neglected to pick my suit up from the cleaners.  I also needed to get to the office at 8 AM due to my early departure.  That meant that I had to wake up very early, which I did, so that I could get my suit and get ready, which I did.  I took a taxi the short way up Park Avenue to the office.  I did my usual Friday morning stuff and then went out to lunch with a coworker, to Hop Won for my traditional pre-departure lunch.

After lunch, I huddled in the plaza on 43rd Street and smoked my pre-departure Cohiba.  I then went to the office, finished up what I had to do, and ate the McDonald’s I had in the fridge before I left for the airport.  There was a fair bit of traffic, but I got to the airport around 6 PM, and I was able to bypass the usual long security line at Terminal 5 since I had PreCheck.  I got through security with no trouble, and went to get a snack or something.  I was about to get some packaged cookies, but I checked the price, and it was way too high for what it was.  I headed to my gate and find something cheaper.  I ate my cookies and then sat down at the gate, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close as we are about to board, though I will not be able to publish this until I write tonight’s entry from Albuquerque.


Corrales, New Mexico


Two years ago, right before the trip to New Mexico that I mentioned earlier, I wrote a similary underwhelming dateline of Greenbelt, Maryland, as I smoked my 2007 Christmas Pipe, the same pipe that had previously been smoked under datelines of Ottawa, Budapest, London, Kingston, and the Beagle Channel.  I had taken a spontaneous trip to Washington with Raymond, and we stayed at his brother’s apartment in Greenbelt.  Now Pete is living here in Corrales, and I am once more staying overnight at his apartment, which means my 2010 Christmas Pipe can add this dateline to the list that includes Quebec, Istanbul, the Bransfield Strait, Belmopan, Nassau, Kathmandu, Sydney, and, recently, Santo Domingo.  Corrales, New Mexico does not measure up any better than Greenbelt, Maryland did, and this establishing shot is equally unimpressive.  The journey that brought me here, however, is of some interest.

After I closed, we soon boarded, and the plane looked like it better belonged in the Reagan Administration than the Trump Administration.  There were no outlets, and the entertainment system was lacking.  The lack of outlets was a problem, as my computer and phone were both around 20%.  I would be able to drain the charge off of my laptop on to my phone, but that meant I would not have enough battery on either device to really surf the internet in-flight.  The movie options were limited, and certainly no Oscar Noms were available. I watched Fox News, had some snacks and seltzer, and soon fell asleep, only to be woken up by bumps and screams.  It was a bit of a struggle to get back to sleep, but I probably got a full REM cycle throughout the flight.

We landed early, and Connor and Pete were waiting for me at the airport, though I somehow managed to walk right by them, as we were both recording our adventures on Snapchat.  That was when the fun began.  I mean that both sarcastically and literally.  We took a picture together and then headed to Pete’s Land Rover, which, again, looked like it was from the Reagan Administration.  The backseat was tight, and my suitcase had to go in there, as well, since the trunk was full.  During the drive, Connor asked if Raymond had been complaining about a problem with his roommates.  The question was directed at Pete, but he and I both answered in the affirmative simultaneously.  We soon figured out that Raymond had been telling three versions of the same story to the three of us.

We went to Wendy’s to get food to go, which turned out to be an adventure at the drive-through.  I asked for a seltzer, but they said they didn’t have it, though they did have Sprite.  I explained that I didn’t want anything sweetened.  I asked for a small Frosty instead, which, I’m sure, had more sugar than a Sprite.  She asked if I wanted chocolate or vanilla.  I answered, “Yes.”  She said, “Okay.”  I shit you not.  We also got fries and burgers.   When we got to the drive-through window, they had figured out how to make a seltzer, and I got it for free.  That was a nice boon.

We got to Pete’s place in Corrales, and sat down for our dinner.  Connor left after dinner, and I resituated myself before Pete and I went outside to smoke our pipes.  I sat down, lit up my 2010 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment