Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Maryland - Day 0 - "The Old Line State"

“Maryland”


8/4/17, “The Old Line State”
Edgewater, Maryland


About two and a half years ago, I wrote an entry in this Travelogue with a dateline of Greenbelt, Maryland.  It was written from my friend Raymond’s brother's balcony, in his apartment in Greenbelt, where we were overnighting on a spontaneous trip.  I remarked with irony that I was smoking the same pipe that I had smoked to datelines of such places as Budapest, Hungary and London, England, and that Greenbelt, Maryland did not seem to fit with that club.  Reader, I remember that entry as vividly as I remember the Budapest and London entries.  I remember that trip as well as I remember those trips.

Here’s the thing about this Travelogue, and it is a point I mentioned during my trip to Virginia, sure it will have the entries written at Mount Everest or the Great Wall or in Tehran or Havana, but it will also have the less assuming datelines, even those as unassuming as Greeneblt, Maryland, or the dateline for tonight’s entry of Edgewater, Maryland.  When I set out to see the world, I set out to see our country first and foremost, and datelines of Edgewater, Maryland further that mission, to see all 420 units of our National Park Service, to see all 50 state capitols, to truly see our country from sea to shining sea.

Just like that previous trip, the last night I spent in The Old Line State, this trip involves a visit to Raymond’s family, his parents this time, and the free place to stay for the weekend is certainly worth giving up the Annapolis, Maryland dateline in exchange for the Edgewater, Maryland one.  This establishing shot from their porch is different than the one I would have had of the State House in Annapolis, but it tells its own story, and that is what this Travelogue is about: telling a story.  What story will this trip tell?  I do not know, but I have set out to visit my six remaining National Park Sites in The Old Line State, along with the State House and the state’s “most iconic restaurant.”  I have no doubt that I will remember this night in Edgewater and this trip as vividly as I remember Greenbelt.

Now, what story do I have to tell tonight?  As any good Day 0 entry starts, it starts with Night -1.  With the K-Man out of town, my old friend Mr. Zuber stood in for him, and we had an epic night together.  Like with the K-Man, my outings with Mr. Zuber are typically marked by overindulgence in food, alcohol, and tobacco, but I have been trying to limit my intake of two of those three things, which allowed us to have a moderate amount of food and alcohol and as much tobacco as we wanted.  The evening was no less epic in moderation.  We met at CPK, Mr. Zuber wanting to go to the place I always go with the K-Man.  In contrast to the feast that I had with the K-Man, we had no alcohol at dinner and shared a pizza, instead of each having our own full pie, and I only had one piece of bread.

After dinner, we lit up Graycliffs before our movie and then walked to the theatre to see “Dark Tower,” which had disappointingly low reviews, but neither of us were disappointed.  We both loved it.  It was a cross between Western and Fantasy, and we both agreed there was not a single dull moment.  After the movie, we retrieved the cigars we had left outside and finished them at my place.

We were not ready for the evening to end, so we went downstairs to The Mason Jar, where we each had a glass of rye whiskey with a soda back, the only alcohol we consumed all night.  Again, in moderation the evening was no less epic.  I got him a car back to Greenpoint, and we said our goodbyes.

I packed and woke up relatively early, heading to the office for a rather adventurous day.  After doing everything I needed to do at the office, I left around 11:30 AM, as I would be going to our lab in The Bronx for training on concrete sampling and testing.  I had a bag with a sandwich and my leftover Chinese food from earlier in the week, which I knew would be my lunch and dinner, my computer/tobacco bag, and my bag of clothes.  I lit up a Graycliff and headed to Nat Sherman’s to pick up my Nic Toro, but, as I was walking, I saw that Grand Central was on fire.  Not an exaggeration.  Smoke was coming out of the building, and fire trucks were coming from every direction.

After a few minutes, I continued to Nat Sherman’s to get my cigar.  My plan was to bike uptown to get my exercise in and then to take the train from 86th Street to The Bronx.  That worked quite well, and I ate my sandwich on the train.  I had put my cigar in my cargo pants pocket, so I finished it as I walked to the lab.

I trained with the director and one of the inspectors for about an hour, but it was still only 3 PM, too early to call it quits for the day and too late to go back to the office.  I worked on some office work from one of the stations, which are connected to our server, and had my Chinese food before leaving around 4:30 PM.  I lit up a PDR and walked back to the train station.  My plan was to take the 2 train to 96th Street on the West Side and then bike to Hertz at 43rd and Tenth.  It was a great plan, and I would meet Raymond and Elaine at 6 PM.  One glitch.  Somehow the 2 train became a 5 train, and I wound up at 86th Street on the East Side.  I wound up biking a lot more today than I anticipated (about six miles).

I was only fifteen minutes late, and we got the car right away.  Even though we were right next to the Lincoln Tunnel, it was still slow going to get to the tunnel.  I lit up my Nic Toro and, once we were on I-95, put on Taylor Swift’s album “Red.”  It was almost exactly what I did two weeks ago on my way to Virginia.  It was the same drive down I-95, too, for most of the way.  I followed up with a Quesada and some Disney music.

I had hoped we could do the drive in one shot, but I had no such luck.  With an hour to go, I was hungry, thirsty, and in need of caffeine and a bathroom.  None of it could wait the hour to Edgewater.  It should have been a ten-minute stop, but it took more than thirty.  Raymond ordered food from Wendy’s, which somehow took twenty minutes for them to prepare.  I was annoyed, but not significantly.  We would still be in Edgewater well before midnight.  I was listening to Howard Stern at this point and lit up Julius Caesar.

We were at his parents’ house in Edgewater soon enough.  His sister greeted us, and, due to my cat allergy, they said that I could stay in the converted detached garage, which I called a cabin.  It was very nice, but it needed light and air.  When his father came home, he fixed the electrical circuits to get everything up and running.  His brother also came home soon, and we all talked and chatted for about an hour.  I had planned to go right to bed, but I realized that I could actually get a relatively late start, so I stayed up for a bit, and his mother said that she could make whole wheat waffles for me at 8 AM, so I realized I just needed to be asleep by 2 AM to get four full REM cycles and be at my first site around 10 AM, which was perfect timing for the day.

After a while, I excused myself to write my entry.  I lit went out front and lit up my Ardor.  I then opened my computer bag and saw that a little water had gotten on my laptop.  That’s when I started to worry.  I pressed the power button, but nothing happened.  I was not entirely sure, though, that I had any battery on the laptop, as I had forgotten to charge it.  I went to the porch, where I found an outlet.  I plugged it in, but nothing.  I asked if the outlet was working.  It was not.  I must have tried four or five different outlets, and nothing each time, but no one was sure if any of those outlets worked.  Finally, I found one that everyone agreed work.  My heart skipped a beat as I plugged it in, but it worked.  They then told me that there was overhead outlet on the porch that worked.  I plugged my laptop in there, relit my Ardor, and sat down in one of the rocking chairs, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment