Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Maryland - Day 1 - "From Sea to Shining Sea"

8/5/17, “From Sea to Shining Sea”

Annapolis, Maryland


This building in the establishing shot here as twilight sets in at Maryland’s capital is the Maryland State House, the oldest active such legislative assembly building in the country.  It brings my count to 39.  Out of 50.  Today also brought my count to 309 out of the 420 National Park Sites.  Both numbers represent about three quarters of their respective totals.  As I mentioned yesterday, interspersed between my trips around the world has been this extensive mission to see our country, from sea to shining sea.

While I know that I previously visited the Naval Academy here, I did not believe I had visited the State House, and certainly no photo existed to add to my collection.  I very much look forward to the day when I can post the collage of all 50 State Capitols.  I even more look forward to the day when my NPS spreadsheet tells me that I have been to each and every unit of the National Park Service.  That will be the day that I can I have seen our country from sea to shining sea.

After today’s visit to the State House here, the closest state capitol I have not yet visited is in Lansing, Michigan.  I suppose Birmingham, Alabama would be second-closest.  By the end of this month, after this and two more weekend road trips in the Mid-Atlantic, Ohio will house the closest NPS units that I have not yet visited.  It has been a grueling quest, one with no tangible rewards other than a drawer of brochures and box of pins, but seeing our country from sea to shining sea has always been my dream, and I do not regret a single minute I have spent in pursuit of this mission.

Today was actually a rather lazy day, even if on paper it sounds hectic.  Four new NPS units, an iconic restaurant, and a state capitol.  However, it was a relatively short day, as I left Edgewater less than 12 hours ago.  After I closed, I soon went to sleep, the fans doing their trick, and I slept until Raymond woke me up a little before 9 AM.  I had slept late, but that was fine.  I just needed to be on the road by 9:30 AM.

Raymond’s mother was making breakfast, whole wheat waffle and scrambled eggs for me.  Only one thing was missing.  Coffee.  She said that she didn’t know how to use the coffee machine, and Raymond’s father wasn’t up yet.  I asked if I could do it.  She said I was welcome to go for it.  I figured it out without much difficulty, and a pot was soon brewing.  Breakfast was excellent, and I took a cup of coffee to go and was soon on the road.  I would spend the entire day of driving listening to Howard Stern, as I have for the past few weekends now.  I might need to get a streaming subscription in the fall.

I lit up a Flor Fina and was at my first site, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, just as I finished my cigar.  I had looked at the website for Catoctin Mountain Park, the last stop, and I saw that the VC closed at 4 PM, so it would be tight, but not a mad rush, to get everything done today.  I would have 30 minutes at each site, and an hour for accumulated Dutch Time.  I had a late breakfast and would have an early dinner, both of which were large, so I would skip lunch.  Thomas Stone was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his homestead was well preserved.  I did my business at the VC, lit up a Graycliff, and walked around a bit.

From there, I headed to Piscataway Park, on the Potomac, which was a short drive, and I arrived with plenty of cigar left.  I again did my business at the VC and then walked around a bit.  There was an active tobacco farm with heritage crops, everything authentic from the 18th Century.  I then walked to the riverfront, where I found a nice spot to take my ceremonial picture.  This was definitely my favorite site of the day.

When I got back to the car, I realized that I had miscalculated my cigars and given Raymond one more cigar than I could spare for the day.  I would be one shy of what I wanted for the day.  Two, actually, but I decided to smoke my Cuban tonight instead of tomorrow.  I lit up an Aroma de Cuba and drove to Monocacy Battlefield, which should have been a 1.5-hour drive, but there was a lot of traffic, and it seemed like it was going to be well over 2 hours.  That would eat up my entire hour of Dutch Time, and getting to Catoctin Mountain Park by 4 PM no longer seemed certain.

Fortunately, the traffic cleared up, and I was at Monocacy around 2:30 PM, which was perfect timing.  Before today, I would have known the name Monocacy, but not been able to speak intelligently about the battle.  It was a key Union victory that staved off the Confederate advance on and potential capture of our capital.   I did my business at the VC, lit up a Pinar del Rio (the specific line of PDR that I also smoked yesterday, as a point of record), and headed to the spot of the battlefield, where I took my ceremonial picture.

I was now looking at a soft 3:45 PM arrival at the Catoctin Mountain P VC.  It would be tight.  I made a hard 3:50 PM arrival with plenty of cigar left.  I did my business at the VC and asked what to do for a 20-minute hike.  She gave me an idea for a good trail.  I confirmed that the park itself was opened until dark.  It was.  And the VC closes at 4 PM?  No, they were actually opened until 6 PM.  What the actual fuck?!?  I rushed for nothing.  Well, the timetable actually wouldn’t have changed, as I still was uncertain of arriving at the Maryland State House by sunset.  I went on the hike with rest of my cigar and enjoyed the scenic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

After my cigar and hike, I headed back to the car and drove to Lutherville, lamenting that I didn’t have a cigar for the drive.  My purpose in Lutherville was the state’s “most iconic restaurant,” Ocean Pride Seafood & Raw Bar, famous for their steamed crabs.  I got to the restaurant, and the parking lot was packed.  I worried there would be a wait, and I would be on a time crunch again.

However, there was plenty of seating.  The hostess asked me if I was going to have steamed crabs.  That was an odd question.  I told her that I didn’t know.  I then consulted the Thrillist list, which specifically mentioned that they were famous for their steamed crabs, so I told her I would.  She said she would bring the mallet later.

I ordered a local beer, a crab cake appetizer, and four steamed crabs, which, as I hinted, are eaten by breaking them open with a mallet.  They put them right on the brown paper tablecloths they use.  It was certainly a unique experience.  The appetizer and beer were great, and, the steamed crabs were something special, even if I don’t like working that hard for my food.  They had a spicy seasoning, so I desperately needed that Bolivar, which I lit up as soon as I left the restaurant.

From there it was a straight shot to the Maryland State House, and I arrived right at sunset.  I took my ceremonial picture and waited for Raymond and Elaine.  The sun had already set, but it was still civil twilight, so we got a decent enough picture.  I had parked illegally, so I moved the car to a legal spot while they got ice cream.

I also got souvenirs.  We all met up at the cigar shop, Annapolis Cigar Company, but I called an audible, wanting to write this entry first, so I headed to the State House, where I sat down, lit up my trusty Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and then meet up with them at the cigar shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment