Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Maryland - Day 2 - The Eastern Shore

8/6/17, “The Eastern Shore”

En Route, Metro North, Harlem Line


The similarities between tonight, this trip as a whole, even, and two weeks ago are striking.  Two new National Park Sites and a race back to New York, up I-95, through brutal traffic, to get back to Scarsdale in time for Game of Thrones and dinner from Chop Stix.  That is what happened today, and it was what happened two weeks ago today.  The next two Sundays will not be dissimilar to that description, either.

That is what thus summer has become, a series of weekend road trips to allow myself to say that I have been to every National Park Site in the North Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic regions.  However, they are all road trips, none of them by plane, and they will all end the same way, with dinner from Chop Stix and watching Game of Thrones in Scarsdale.  It is entirely coincidental that I came back from San Francisco the Monday before the premiere and that I will be leaving for Hawaii the Friday after the finale, but it is very fortunate that it worked out that way.  It has allowed me, forced me even, to stay grounded this summer, but that has not stopped these road trips.

After I closed last night, I walked over to Annapolis Cigar Company, where I stocked up on cigars.  I lit up an OpusX and met Raymond and Elaine outside.  His sister’s boyfriend and his friend were also there, both smoking cigars.  I insisted we go inside to take a picture, of the four of us smoking our cigars in the lounge.  Elaine waited outside.  I enlisted a poor sap to take our picture, and it came out great.  The other three went back outside, and I smoked in the lounge a bit before going back outside, as Raymond and Elaine were spent, and they needed me to drive them back to Edgewater.  I smoked as we drove and left the cigar out on the porch.

Raymond’s brother and his girlfriend were at the house, and when they saw I had a leftover crab, they made short work of it.  His girlfriend kept trying to feed me crab, but I kept insisting that the only reason the crab was here in the first place was because I was full and didn’t want the last crab.  They were far more skilled at extracting the crab meat than I was.  I’ll take a crab cake or chowder any day over food that requires that much work.  I finished my cigar and went to bed.

We were supposed to be on the road at 7:30 AM.  I woke up at 7:52 AM.  Neither Raymond nor Elaine were downstairs.  Fuck.  It was about 8:15 AM by the time we got on the road, and that had eaten up 45 minutes of my 2 hours of allocated Dutch Time.  I knew we would have at least an hour of traffic.  This was not good.  We stopped in Annapolis for bagels and coffee, which I knew would be easy to eat in the car.  I got a honey whole wheat bagel with lox spread, hoping, perhaps foolishlessly, that and a fiber bar later would last me until dinner.

I lit up a Fuente, and we headed straight to the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park VC (ain’t that a mouthful).  To my disappointment, the NHP was really just a historic area, rather than a collection of historic sites.  I did my business at the VC, and asked the ranger with sarcasm that was missed, “Where’s the train station?”  The ranger explained that the roads we drove in on were part of the Underground Railroad, which wasn’t really a railroad.  There were no real historic sites in the NHP to see, but we could take a picture of the road from the Legacy Garden.

After we took our ceremonial picture, Raymond wanted to get pizza at a place he used to go as a kid, and it was on the way.  I thought he would just grab a slice and get in the car, five minutes tops.  It took 30 minutes.  First, 20 minutes to cook the pizza, as, apparently, outside of the NYC area, you can’t get precooked pizza, then he insisted that they eat it there, rather than getting to go, which was another 10 minutes.  I wasn’t hungry yet, so I had to just watch them eat, annoyed, since we were now running very late, and I wanted to be back on the road.  I had gotten coffee, so I sipped that and watched them eat.

I lit up a Graycliff, and we drove to the Assateague Island VC for the National Seashore.  Being a beautiful summer Sunday, everything in the area was packed, and the roads were slow.  Our original schedule had us leaving the National Seashore at noon to head to New York.  We didn’t get to the VC until 12:45 PM.  We would only have time to take a quick ceremonial picture on the beach and turn around immediately.  That’s what we did, and they were quite okay with that, as Raymond’s childhood memories were from the Virginia portion of the island and Elaine didn’t have proper beach shoes and had to be carried by Raymond to take the ceremonial picture with me on the sand.

We were in the car at 1:15 PM, which meant we only had 45 minutes of Dutch Time left.  I would need that just for my lunch, gas, and bathroom breaks.  I knew we would be late.  We were looking at a hard 6:30 PM arrival at Hertz, best case scenario, which would let me take a 6:54 PM train back to Scarsdale and have time for dinner and my entry before Game of Thrones.  Any later than that, and I would have to either write my entry on the train, as I am now doing, or after the episode.  I was also looking at a late fee if we returned the car after 6:47 PM.

I had my RX Bar and an Aroma de Cuba (later followed by an Obsidian), and we were on our way.  We stopped at a WaWa in Delaware for water and for my lunch at 4 PM (buffalo chicken bites), and we stopped at a service plaza in New Jersey for gas, me fuming about the absurd government regulations that mandate full service gasoline in New Jersey, made worse by the sloth with which the workers filled the car.  We were now looking at a hard 6:40 PM arrival at Hertz.

Soon enough I saw the familiar Manhattan skyline, but the traffic just kept getting worse.  The Lincoln Tunnel was practically at a standstill, less than 20 MPH.  We got to Hertz around 6:55 PM, and, fortunately, they waived the late fee.  We said our goodbyes, and I biked to my apartment to drop off my clothes.  The train to Scarsdale was at 7:24 PM, and I was back at the bike racks outside my apartment at 7:17 PM.  It usually takes me 5 minutes to bike up to Grand Central.  That would have been too slow.  I did it in 3.

I got my train ticket and was on the train at 7:23 PM.  Perfect timing.  I sat down and, once we were underway, proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish before we get to Scarsdale, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: another road trip to the Mid-Atlantic, this time northern Virginia, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment