Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Jersey Shore 2017: The Experience - Day 2 - The Return Journey

8/20/17, “The Return Journey”
Scarsdale, New York


For a day that pretty much just consisted of getting a bagel for breakfast, smoking a cigar and a half, and sitting in a passenger’s seat for about 200 miles as we drove home, and stopping at Blimpie for lunch, it certainly felt like a long day.  A very long day.  I have only been awake for about 11 hours, and almost half of it was spent in that passenger’s seat, the three-hour drive that took closer to five, not even counting stops.

While the morning was perfectly relaxing, having my favorite for breakfast, the afternoon and The Return Journey was about as stressful as it gets.  For the third (and last) time in five weeks, my weekend has ended the same way: stuck in traffic on the section of I-95 N known as the New Jersey Turnpike.  Clearly we were not the only New Yorkers who decided to go to the Jersey Shore this weekend.

I don’t have much to write.  In fact, that opening sentence pretty much describes the entire day, and I have no desire to make my readers feel the same stress we felt during The Return Journey.  I will simply provide enough text to flesh out the entry to surround the pictures I want to showcase.

After I closed last night, I soon went to bed and woke up around 8 AM.  I got ready and awaited my grandfather’s arrival, who came downstairs shortly after I did.  We soon headed out to pick up newspapers and breakfast.  I got the local Sunday paper to add to my collection, and then we went to Yianni’s Cafe to get our breakfasts.  I got my favorite, whole wheat everything with scallion cream cheese and lox, along with two coffees (one for right away, the second for later, as they did not have any coffee in the house), and he got grilled cheese sandwiches for himself and his wife.

When we got back home, he cleaned the table, and we sat down with our newspapers and breakfasts.  It was an excellent breakfast, and I was quite content.  After breakfast, I started on my second coffee and lit up a Fuente, smartly using the empty cup from the first coffee as an ashtray.  That was followed by a PDR, and my parents soon arrived.  We all sat outside until it was time to leave.  My reader will note that, of the 11 hours since I woke up, I spent about 3 hours in that chair and 5 hours in the passenger’s seat of my parents’ car.  We said our goodbyes and got on the road around 1:30 PM, expecting to be home around 5:30 PM.

That did not happen.  We got stuck in a little bit of traffic on the Garden State Parkway, but it wasn’t too bad.  Soon enough, we found the Blimpie, which seemed to one of the few Blimpies still open, and it was part of a Coldstone Creamery.  Needless to say, I did not get the iconic New Jersey hoagie experience I thought I would.  I ordered their signature sub on a whole wheat roll, along with chips, and it was just too much bread, so I put the inside of the sandwich all on half of the roll.  It was good, but I would choose Subway any day over it.

We got back on the road and were doing all right until we got to I-95.  There was traffic.  A lot of traffic.  Just like there was two and four weeks ago when I came home on that same road.  When we got to the George Washington Bridge, it was brutal.  It took us an hour to get from Fort Lee to the other side of the bridge.  It should have taken about ten minutes.

Once we were in New York, we headed up I-87 to Yonkers so that I could stop at DSW for some new shoes and Starbucks for a coffee.  Both places had lines.  Long lines.  Everything was taking longer today than expected.  I was now tight on time so that I could properly space the posts of this entry, dinner, and Game of Thrones.  As soon as we got home, I relit my cigar from this afternoon and raced to go outside, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip with the words I have been waiting to write for pretty much as long as I have closing out trips in this manner.  Next stop: Hawaii and American Oceania.

No comments:

Post a Comment