Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Mid-Atlantic - Day 1 - Back to Virginia

“The Mid-Atlantic”


8/12/17, “Back to Virginia”
En route, I-78 W, Pennsylvania

Another summer weekend begins, and so too does another weekend of seeing National Parks Sites in the northeast.  It is, after all, what I have been doing for four weekends in a row now.  However, on this weekend, there is no rental car, and I am a passenger, not a driver, which is what allows me to write this entry.

My mother and I are on our way to Virginia to visit what will be my last five NPS units in the state.  Tomorrow will be spent along the Delaware River, visiting the three NPS units on the river.  Next weekend, when we visit her family on the Jersey Shore, we will also visit the nearby site of Great Egg Harbor River, which will at last allow me to say that I have been every NPS unit in both the North Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic regions.

In further contrast, rather than leaving New York after work on Friday, we left early Saturday morning, which will get us to our first NPS unit in northern Virginia around 1 PM.  It is now 9:30 AM, and on a weekday, I would usually be sorting through my emails at this point, while having my first cup of coffee and my breakfast at my desk.  We are now two states over from New York, I am on my second (large) cup of coffee, and breakfast is long gone.

This weekend promises to be an epic adventure, and while this succession of road trips was not at all what I had planned for the summer, but I am glad I did it, as I will very much relish the day (a week from today) when I can proudly say that the nearest unit of the National Park Service I haven’t visited is in Ohio, that the nearest state capitol I haven’t seen is in Lansing, Michigan.

Okay, so, since I am starting this trip on a Saturday, properly on Day 1, the entry should actually start with Night 0, Friday night, which actually happened to be my movie night with the K-Man.  We went to see “Good Time,” an edgy crime film starring an almost unrecognizable Robert Pattison.  Raymond’s birthday was Thursday, so the plan was for him to meet us after the movie, and we would take him out for dinner.  About an hour in to the movie, the K-Man walked out.  I assumed he was going to the bathroom, but he never came back.  I assumed he just didn’t like the movie and was waiting for me outside.  It wouldn’t be the first time he did that.

After the movie was over, I had messages from both Raymond and the K-Man.  Raymond wasn’t feeling well, and the K-Man got an urgent message from his boss and had to go back to the office.  In other words, the evening was off.  The K-Man thought he might be able to meet me for dinner, so I biked back to my apartment, feeling like I was trapped in a “Seinfeld” episode.  I got back to my apartment and waited for the K-Man, finishing my Prensado cigar and packing for the trip.  I managed to fit everything into my small shoulder bag, and I was proud of my efficiency.

At 9 PM, I couldn’t wait for the K-Man any longer, so I went to CPK on my own.  Rather than my usual pizza, of which I knew I would only eat half, I got a pasta dish.  It was a shrimp scampi with a mix of linguini and sliced zucchini.  It was quite tasty.  After dinner, I had a VSG and got some stuff ready to put in the car in the morning to bring to Scarsdale.

I fell asleep before midnight and woke up around 6:30 AM.  I then got a call from my mother that she was rear-ended at a red light in the city.  We were delayed, but not significantly.  The car could have needed immediate repair to be roadworthy.  It did not.  When she was nearby, I went downstairs and discovered further complications.  Due to Summer Streets, a program in the city that restricted Park Avenue to bike traffic only during summer weekends, my block was closed off.  I would have to meet my mother on Madison, which made getting downtown even more complicated.  All in all, by the time she got there, we were only fifteen minutes behind schedule, and I had allotted an hour of Dutch Time.  We first went to Kossar’s Bialys on the Lower East Side for breakfast, and I got an onion bialy with lox and cream cheese, along with a coffee, and a bagel sandwich for later.

We had some traffic getting to the Holland Tunnel, but we were still only twenty minutes behind schedule at this point.  It was a nice drive across New Jersey, and we stopped at a gas station before we entered Pennsylvania for a rest break and to get coffee, water, and power bars.  By the time we got back on the highway, my navigation showed a 12:37 PM arrival, which was looking good, as my target arrival at the first NPS unit is 1 PM.  Once we entered Pennsylvania, I began writing this entry, which I will now close.


Vienna, Virginia (Tysons Corner, Virginia)


At least Edgewater, Maryland gave me a good establishing shot.  The same cannot be said about this section of Virginia often called Tysons Corner, an area shared between the communities of McClean and Vienna, where I am now.  To think that I actually was worried about getting to the hotel in time for a day-lit establishing shot.  I cannot imagine that this view would in any way be enhanced by sunlight.  It has been a hectic and chaotic day, but it was a success, and we had incredible luck with the weather.

After I closed on I-78, we soon entered Maryland, for 11 miles, followed by West Virginia, for less than 25 miles.  That brought us to Virginia.  Three weeks after I left this state, I was back, this time to say, “Virginia Complete.”  To do that would require visiting four new National Park Sites, plus revisiting Shenandoah, which was not strictly necessary.  The limiting reactant was getting to the VC at Prince William Forest Park by 5 PM.

It would be a tight schedule, but we pulled it off expertly.  Usually when I travel with someone, they slow me down.  The same could not be said of my mother, who is well-experienced in doing these NPS runs with me.  Instead, she actually saved time, by driving while I was posting or getting coffee while I gassed up the car.  The only manner in which she could not keep up with me was the hiking, and I was shocked that I was able to fit two hours of hiking into our packed schedule.  On that note, I will have to relocate to get out of the rain.



Well, this view is even worse, as this establishing shot shows, but I am relatively sheltered from the rain, and that’s what matters.  Due to formatting when I post, I actually have to put in a few more sentences to allow the text to round out the establishing shot.  While this is a very nice hotel, its location, along the busy highway, with no good establishing shots, makes it much worse of a place for me than some of the dumps I have stayed at with wonderful establishing shots.  Okay, that should be enough text.

Our first stop was a National Historical Park called Cedar Creek and Belle Grove NHP.  Cedar Creek was a rather significant Civil War battle, and the Belle Grove Plantation served as headquarters for the Union general.  They were combined into one NPS unit.  There was an unusual amount of traffic, and, when I got to the Visitor Contact Station, I learned that it was the result of a 43-mile yard sale.  That is not a typo.  43 miles of yard sales.  I did my business at the VCS, and we drove to Belle Grove Plantation, where I lit up a Partagas, and we took our ceremonial pictures.  It was a very nice manor house, and it made for a good picture.

I put the cigar back in its metal tube, and we drove to Shenandoah National Park, which I had previously visited, but it seems we never took any pictures.  My old brochure had the stamp at the southern VC, so we went to the northern VC, Dickey Ridge, this time, and I added that stamp to the old brochure and also got a new one.  The design had changed in the past 12 years.  We went on a little nature walk with the rest of my cigar, then took our ceremonial picture by the VC with a great view of Shenandoah Valley.

It was before 2:30 PM by the time we were back in the car.  This was excellent timing, giving us a tentative 4:30 PM hard arrival at the VC for Prince William Forest P.  My reader will recall that I said that that VC closed at 5 PM.  From there, we headed to Manassas National Battlefield Park, home of the two famed Battles of the Bull Runs.  We both thought that we had been there before, but we had neither photos nor stamped brochures to support that claim.  I ate my bagel as we drove, and we were soon at the VC.

I did my business there, and we walked a bit along the battlefield to get a ceremonial picture, lighting up an Aroma de Cuba for the walk.  Their victory in the Second Battle of the Bull Run, could be considered the apex of the Confederate war effort.  The tide would soon turn after that battle.  We were still looking good for our hard 4:30 PM at the Prince William Forest P VC, but I got a scare when Google Maps told me the VC closed at 4 PM.  However, the NPS website confirmed that it was opened until 5 PM in the summer.

We got there around 4:30 PM and had enough gas to make it to the next gas station, too, which was a concern.  I did my business at the VC, getting an additional brochure for the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail, which I had not previously included in my count.  This allowed me to jump my count from 313 to 315 units.  I was concerned I wouldn’t be hungry for the 6:30 PM dinner we planned, but I figured I could work up an appetite by then.  I relit my cigar, and we went for another nature walk, the destination being a bridge that was about half a mile away.  My mother stopped about 1000 feet from the bridge, and I told her I would catch up with her if she went back to the car.

I made it to the bridge, which had a great view, crossed it, turned back, and made for the car with all haste, catching up with my mother just as we got to the parking lot.  We had one last stop: Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, where we were scheduled to see an outdoor concert at the Filene Center.  Rain was forecasted, and we had been lucky to have escaped it so far.  I’m sure my reader can guess what would occur.

We stopped for gas and were at Wolf Trap a little after 6 PM.  The ranger station would remained staffed until the concert ended, so there was no real time concern, but the concert began at 7:30 PM, and we wanted to do our walk and have dinner before the concert began.  We parked and walked to the Ranger Station.  One problem.  No brochures.  I kept getting the runaround from a nasty volunteer who was staffing the RS, but I found a proper Park Ranger, and he told me he could get more from the office.  I thanked him profusely when he brought me a brochure, and then I got my stamp.

We went to claim our spots on the lawn with our chairs, and then we went for a walk.  My mother was spent, and I still didn’t have an appetite.  The concern was not so much missing out on dinner, but rather that, if I didn’t eat now, I would be hungry later, which would be a problem.  I lit up a PDR, and we took our ceremonial picture from a nice spot behind the Filene Center.  That was it.  Virginia Complete.  Finally.  After all these years.

It was now about 6:30 PM, and we made arrangements to meet at the buffet for dinner at 7:10 PM, unless we decided to call an audible.  I went on a pretty aggressive walk to build up an appetite, and I found a great view of the river and saw a family of deer.  It was very scenic, and the walk restored my appetite.  I calculated that I must have burned at least 1500 calories on my walks today.

We met at the buffet, and I helped myself to a plate of modest portions of the items that looked most appealing.  There was next to no service, and it took forever to get a seltzer, which was flat, anyway.  My cigar had gone out, so I was able to keep it with me.

After dinner, I relit my cigar, and the plan was to meet back at our seats.  That’s when the rain started.  Before it got too bad, I headed to the gazebo at the bottom of the hill, which I knew would shelter me from the rain.  My mother went back to the buffet to get out of the rain and went overboard on dessert while I smoked my cigar.  The concert had already begun, but we could hear it from where we were.  It was absolutely pouring, but it was the kind of rain that never lasts.  I was almost done with my cigar when the rain broke, and we met up at the top of the hill.

I ditched my cigar, and we returned to our seats, which had blown over from the wind, but that actually kept them relatively dry.  We stayed for a few songs, but my mother was afraid that the rain would come back.  We packed up our seats and went to leave, but the ushers convinced us to stay saying that the rain had passed and wasn’t supposed to come back.  We set up our seats again and decided to stay until dusk.

A little before dusk, Lucinda Williams sang a politically charged song, particularly relevant to today’s events in nearby Charlottesville, which had actually been on our original agenda for today, before I wound up going to Monticello during my trip three weeks ago.  The trade-off was that we would visit these sites today instead of going to Monticello.  It was good that we made that decision.  Today would have been a very bad day to go to Monticello.  However, it wasn’t the politically charged song that bothered me, but rather the audience’s self-righteous reaction to her anti-Trump lyrics.  After they cheered in response to her singing that we needed a world without walls, I said that it was time to go.

We were at the car before dark, and it was good timing, too, as it started to rain again during the short drive to the hotel.  We checked in and resituated ourselves in the room.  My mother then went to bed, and I went outside to the bench in one of the smoking areas, where I sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, relocating once the rain started, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to bed, as we have an early day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment