Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, September 2, 2017

American Oceania - Day 0 - Past, Present, and Future

“American Oceania”


9/1/17, “Past, Present, and Future”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

This trip is about my past, my present, and my future, in many ways.  Every time I walk through this concourse, the familiar B Concourse at JFK Terminal 4, I think about the past, the present, and the future.  I think about the past as I recall all the great adventures that began in this same concourse.  I think about the present as I prepare to embark on another great adventure.  I think about the future as I look at all the cities listed on the gates and think where I want to go next.

However, this trip more than the others is truly about the past, present, and future.  It is about the past, not only because it represents the culmination of my five-year mission, but also because the moment I take my ceremonial picture at Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park will represent the fulfillment of a pledge I made 18 years ago when I first visited Independence Hall in Philadelphia.  I would see them all, each and every World Heritage Site in our country, but I went further.

I set out to see the world on a five-year mission, to go to every continent, to visit all the Wonders of the World, to set foot inside each and every Olympic Stadium, and among others, the hardest one of all, to see each and every World Heritage Site in North America.  That last one seemed impossible, but I did it, and this trip will be where I at last complete the Seventeen Goals that I have been attempting to complete lo these past five years.  That begs a perfectly reasonable question.  What does my future hold?  I honestly don’t know.

I have mapped out a similar chart for my 30s as this five-year mission and set new goals to be considered to attempt by the time I turn 40, but those are only tentative goals.  I do not have a single plane ticket past this trip.  Nothing is certain about my future, but, by the time this trip is over, I fully expect to see my future as clearly as I see my past and present.

Now, as for my immediate past, as my readers know, any proper trip begins with the recounting of Night -1, pizza night with the K-Man, but no movie tonight, both because there was nothing out I wanted to see and because I needed the time to get ready for my trip.  I left the office around 6:30 PM, well behind schedule, and we pushed dinner back until 7 PM.  I had to first pick up my new travelling suit from Brooks Brothers, and then I biked down to meet the K-Man before we headed to a new spot, Vezzo, which specializes in thin crust pizza.

I got a glass of wine and he got a beer.  We also got an appetizer that was lackluster.  Then came the pizzas.  We got two small pizzas to share, each picking one.  I chose the mushroom pizza adding bacon and onions, he chose the meat lover’s adding pepper and onions.  I’ve been to Italy, so I can’t say that it was the best pizza I’ve ever had, but I can say that it was the best pizza I ever had in Manhattan.  The K-Man agreed, and we instantly agreed that this was going to be our new regular spot.

In case my reader doesn’t understand how momentous of a thing that was for us to decide and to do it without debate, allow me to explain.  For as long as we’ve been hanging out on a regular basis, CPK has been our default spot.  If one of his wants to suggest another place, we need to make a rational argument for why it would be better than going to CPK.  Last night, we both acknowledged that the pizza we had was so special that not only would it replace CPK as the default spot, but that there was not even any need to debate that decision.  That’s how good it was.  The K-Man ordered a second mushroom pizza for himself while I had a coffee.

We then picked my laundry and went back to my place so that we could light our cigars.  I lit up Gurkha Titan, which was a large cigar, but not oversized.  This was around 8:30 PM.  Reader, remember that time.  I changed into more casual clothes, and we went for a walk, playing a game.  Every time we came to a corner or crossed we street, we would, in alternate turns, call out “left,” “right,” or “straight.”  We walked this way for about 30 minutes before heading back to my apartment and our goodbyes in the usual manner at the usual spot.

I then went back to my apartment, it now being around 9:30 PM, and got straight to work packing.  First I did my suitcase, with all my clothes, followed by the tobacco.  My reader will understand that packing 16-day supply of cigars and pipes is no easy task.

Then, it was time to pack my computer bag, and I retrieved my blue Mead Five-Star WHS folder, the one I had been carrying around the country for 20 years, in the now-torn Target bag that I have been using for five years.  I would replace the bag, but the folder would live on.  I started to ask it if it was ready for one last adventure together.  “You have served me well” was all I managed to get out before I broke down in tears.  It hit me all at once, the significance of this trip, the significance of the words I will utter at HVNP when I have finally been to every WHS in the country.

Once I regained my composure, I put it in my computer bag and went to work sorting through my photos for the collages I will be making to illustrate the completion of each of my Seventeen Goals.  It was 11 PM now, and my Gurkha was nowhere near done.  11 PM became 1 AM, and the end of my task was not in sight.  1 AM became 3 AM, and I was mostly done, but the hardest task of all remained, sorting through photos of all 109 WHS in North America, just as it was the hardest one of the Goals to complete.  I did the photos the same way I did the visits: one site at a time.  I also started to realize how bizarre it was that my cigar had lasted over six hours now.

Finally, at 5 AM, I was done, leaving only Mexico, which I had imported to my laptop raw for future sorting.  I would be lucky to get two full REM cycles.  I was so revved up from the six hours I spent sorting photos that it was another hour before I got to sleep.  I caught one full REM cycle and woke up again around 7:30 AM.  I don’t think I fell asleep again before my alarm went off a little past 8 AM.  I got ready, excited to wear my new suit for the first time now, and dropped off a package before heading to the office.

It was a slow and quiet day, and I was able to do everything I needed to do to get ready for my trip, along with clearing out my inbox and getting out everything that I needed to get out, leaving an almost-clean slate for my teammate when he comes back on Tuesday in my absence, eating my usual pre-departure lunch from Hop Won at my desk to save time.  Right at 3:30 PM, which was our scheduled dismissal, I was done, and my car was waiting for my downstairs.  All the stress I had felt all week instantly evaporated the moment I sat down in that car.

The traffic to the airport wasn’t any worse than usual, and I took care of a few last-minute things as we drove.  When I got to the airport, even with Sky Priority, there was a long wait, and I took the opportunity to call my contact at NOAA, who was supposed to arrange for me to see the Plaque but hadn’t responded to my confirmation requests.  He picked up, and told me that everything was being done, and there was nothing to worry about.  I felt even more relieved.

I then saw two women running up asking to cut the line because their flight was boarding.  They stopped right behind me.  After we went through security, I knew they were so flustered that it was 50/50 they were going to forget their rolling suitcases.  I kept an eye on their suitcases and on them.  Sure enough, one started to run off without her suitcase, but her friend remembered, so they retrieved the suitcases.  I was prepared to stop them if they both ran off.  I got a fiber bar and was then at the B Concourse.

All the memories came back of all the times I have flown out of this concourse.  I saw planes that would go to Belgrade and Lisbon and Riyadh.  I thought about all of those places, Lisbon and Riyadh holding the most sway.  I saw a Singapore Airlines jet, which confused me, since I knew there are no direct flights to Singapore from New York, but I will go soon.  They just got a new WHS, and it is a region I have never visited.  I then got to my gate where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will soon be boarding.


Burlingame, California


I am recently arrived at SFO for my overnight layover before I continue to Hawaii.  In a little over 12 hours, I will be marking Hawaii as my 50th State, the highest and most primary of all 17 Goals.  While visiting all US WHS is a goal that I set for myself decades ago, visiting all 50 States was never even a goal.  It was just something I knew I would do one day, it only being a matter of when.  The when is tomorrow.  As for now, I am watching planes take off and touch down at SFO, just a little up the bay from where I am sitting.  It looks close enough to be an easy walk, but they offer a free shuttle, so that’s even better

I don’t have much new to report, other than my enjoyable flight from JFK to SFO.  By booking my tickets early for this trip, I was able to secure business class tickets on most of my long haul flights at unbelievable prices.  Delta treats JFK-SFO as an international flight for the most part, it showed in how they presented business class.  My seat converted to a bed, and it had a foot rest and cubby for added comfort and convenience.  I knew that I would sleep better on this flight than I did in bed last night, and I would get more hours of shuteye than I did last night, as well.  I needed it.

I was starving when they took my drink order, so I made an order that would make my father proud.  I ordered a Bombay Sapphire Gin and asked for some nuts on the side.  It was the perfect combination.  I rested my eyes a bit before they served dinner.  The nuts had actually filled me up, but I knew I would be hungry later if I didn’t eat the meal being offered, and it was quite an offering.

They had whole grain bread with the appetizer, which was shrimp salad with salmon roe, followed by a steak topped in crawfish.  I ate every bite of protein, along with more gin and soda.  It was quite a meal.  Then came dessert, and I knew I didn’t need it, but I had a hard time turning down salted caramel ice cream.  

Usually, I would have a cigar or coffee after a rich meal, but neither was a viable option right then, so I told myself I would just have a few bites of ice cream to cleanse my pallet.  I thought I would eat the whole thing, but I was actually stuffed halfway through and told him to take it away.  I then lowered my seat to about 30 degrees above vertical, low enough to sleep comfortably but elevated enough to avoid any reflux issues from going to bed right after a heavy meal.  It worked like a charm, and, next thing I knew, after two full REM cycles, we were making our descent into SFO.

I just had a thought, completely irrelevant to my current point in the story.  It is now close to midnight local time, and I am not going to finish this cigar before my entry is published.  On the other hand, I need to be at the airport around 9 AM tomorrow, and I will want to have a cigar after breakfast but will not want to take the time for a full cigar.  I should just hide the cigar out here after I publish and retrieve it in the morning.  That would work perfectly.

Okay, back to my story.  Getting to my hotel was a breeze.  It was an easy walk to the hotel shuttle pick-up point, and my shuttle came very quickly.  We were at the hotel before long, and I checked in quickly and went to my room.  I then resituated myself and walked outside to the waterfront.  I found a nice bunch in view of SFO, where I sat down, lit up an Oliva, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment