Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

American Oceania - Day 5 - The Memorials (Goal 14/17 Complete)

9/6/17, “The Memorials” (Goal 14/17 Complete)


Capitol Hill, Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands

It has been an exhausting day, and it is not even noon yet.  Other than picking up a few souvenirs back in Garapan, I have done everything I need to do here on the island of Saipan.  I landed 15 hours ago, and I have 16 hours before my flight back, yet I have already said, “Northern Mariana Islands Complete.”  I am proud to say that I completed Northern Mariana Islands, in the most Official way possible, by pretending to be Speaker Pro Tempore in the House Chamber of the Commonwealth Legislature.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

The main event, however, this morning, was visiting American Memorial Park, which allowed me to say that I had been to all 32 US National Memorials.  I will explain that number later, as the number of National Memorials is not as clearly cut as the number of US National Parks or World Heritage Sites or States.  My time on Saipan has been as enjoyable as my time on Guam, but I am ready to make my way back to Hawaii and tackle Papahanaumokuakea National Marine Monument before turning around and flying to American Samoa.  The appetizer phase of this trip is almost complete.

After I closed last night, I struggled with the internet, but I managed to publish my entry.  I fell asleep while I was posting my photos and then woke up again around 6 AM.  Unable to get back to sleep, I started sorting and making the collages for my National Memorial Photos.  It was looking great, and I was ready to go, but, first I needed breakfast.  I organized myself for the day and headed out.

I had a few options for breakfast.  My first choice was a place called Cafe in the Park, second was the buffet at Fiesta Resort, and third was a place called Shenanigan’s.  I learned at the front desk that Cafe in the Park had closed, so I tried the buffet at Fiesta Resort.  It was overpriced and low-quality, the selection lacking.  I figured it was best option, so I tried to make a plate.  I then helped myself to some coffee.  It was terrible.  I put down the cup and plate and walked out without paying.  Sub-par food, I could deal with, coffee that bad I could not.

I then tried to find Shenanigan’s, but that, too, had closed down.  I was now desperate.  An American restaurant had a meager selection, so I ruled that out, and I went in seach of a Filipino restaurant, but that wasn’t open for breakfast, despite what I had been told.  I settled for a coffee shop like a Starbucks, by the name of Cha Cafe.  It was a stressful experience, entirely dysfunctional, but the meal was exactly a quarter of the price of the buffet, high-quality, and filling.  I got a coffee and a sausage and egg sandwich.  That was all I really needed.  It was not yet 9 AM, so I checked a souvenir, but it was almost all generic souvenirs, no flag pins.

I then went to the American Memorial Park, which is technically an affiliated area, not an Official unit, but I am still counting it as part of the 32, much like I counted the Benjamin Franklin Memorial and the Oklahoma City National Memorial.  Now, let me explain that count.  There are 30 Official units and 6 affiliated areas, so why 32 and not 30 or 36?  Okay, well, of the 6 affiliated areas, only 3 have proper pages on the NPS website, so, shouldn’t that be 33?  Not quite.  The World War I National Memorial, while designated, has not been built yet, so that’s how I get to 32.  Once that is built and prints brochures and molds stamps, then I will return to DC to get to 33, but, for now, it’s 32.

As I walked, I thought back on the other 31, some of them more challenging than others, especially the one by San Franciso and the two in Florida.  I thought back on how many trips to DC were necessary to see all of those.I went to the VC, and it was a proper VC with brochures, stamps, and pins, so I did my business there and walked out to the flag circle, where I lit up a Trinidad and took my ceremonial picture, announcing, “All 32 US National Memorials.  Goal 14/17 Complete.”  I was genuinely thrilled.

I wandered about and then went to another souvenir shop, but, again, no dice.  I went back to my car, and, by this point, I had probably done over two miles of walking this morning, the weather no better than yesterday.  I was drained.  I blasted the AC, lit up a Graycliff, and drove to the northern tip of the island, to a site called Banzai Cliffs, part of a National Historic Landmark District.  It was historic and famous for the fact that thousands of Japanese civillians and soldiers through themselves into the sea rather than be captured or live under American occupation.  I felt a sense of morose at their somewhat noble sacrifices.

I then drove down to Capitol Hill, to the Legislature.  I asked if I could see the chamber.  The Sergeant-at-Arms did one better, and he let me sit in the Speaker’s chair and took my picture as I held the gavel.  I was thrilled.  I told him about the flag pin, and he said he would look around to try and find me one.  I was even more thrilled.  He found a pin of the Official Seal of the Commonwealth, which isn’t a flag pin, but it’s close and a lot better than nothing.

I thanked him profusely and then went outside to take my ceremonial picture out front, announcing, “Northern Mariana Islands Complete.”  I then sat down in the shade, where I lit up a PDR and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head back to Garapan, look for souvenirs again, get lunch, and take a nap.  My flight is at 4:15 AM, so I will try to catch a nap while people back on the mainland are sleeping, as I would not want to post anything during that time anyway.


Garapan, Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands


I am completely exhausted.  There is not a part of body that is not in pain, but it is a good pain.  It is the pain of a trip going well, the pain of the effort that has been required to make this trip go well.  My neck is burnt, my back is in excruciating pain, and my legs hurt so much that I can barely walk.  Reader, say it with me.  The mission always comes first.  I have a few more hours here in Garapan, really just enough time to do my usual end of day activities, pack, and then drive to the airport.

The only thing helping me maintain my sanity is the thought of lying down in my seat and sleeping on the long flight from GUM-HNL.  I will then have a tight connection to Hilo, where I can sleep again in a bed.  It is now 11:45 PM local time on Wednesday, September 6.  That will be the local time in Hilo when I go to sleep there.  That’s the International Dateline for you.  I still don’t get it.  I still don’t quite understand what to do with tomorrow’s entry.  I will be glad to spend the rest of the trip east of the IDL and the time zone only changing by a few hours at a time.  That I know how to deal with.  The appetizer portion of the trip is coming to an end, and next comes the main course.

After I closed at Capitol Hill, I drove back to hotel and then went in search of souvenirs and lunch.  I struggled on both accounts.  Salty’s, the place I wanted to go for dinner last night, did not serve lunch, and the owner (or waiter or bartender or cook or whoever he was), told me that it was “very hard” to find Saipan food for lunch.  Yes, it seems that everything here is quite generic from the restaurants to the souvenirs.  The Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump Shrimp standing beside the stores that sell the “I [heart] Saipan” keychains.  I found another souvenir shop, but it was the same stuff as everywhere else, and they kept thinking I was asking for a “flag pen” and stuff for the “kitchen,” rather than a “flag pin” and a “keychain.”

I got a keychain and t-shirt then walked to a Japanese restaurant, Himawari, for lunch, figuring that was the closest I would do to local.  I opted for what they called BBQ beef fingers, which were excellent, along with rice and soda.  After lunch, I walked back to my hotel and went to sit on the balcony, lighting up an Aroma de Cuba.  It was too hot and sunny, and I couldn’t deal with heat anymore, so I sat in front of the balcony door, with my feet outside, allowing the smoke to blow out to the balcony.  Eventually the sun moved enough so that I could sit sideways to finish my cigar.

After my cigar, I took a nap, waking up at 8:30 PM to head out to dinner.  I finally was going to Salty’s, after trying to eat there for the past three meals.  If my reader is expecting me to describe epic feast or life-altering meal, he or she will be very disappointed.  It was nothing special, but it was local food, and that’s what mattered.  I opted for chicken kelaguen, a local specialty that was basically a cold chicken salad.  It was decent enough, but I felt let down, after having anticipated eating here ever since I landed last night.  On the plus side, though, when I walked in, they asked if I wanted smoking or non-smoking, so I was able to enjoy an Oliva with my meal.

After dinner, I went back to my hotel and finished my cigar on the porch.  Someone else came out to smoke a cigarette, and he recognized me from last night.  He told me that he was from Guam and just comes to Saipan to gamble.  Go figure.  After my cigar, I went to my room and sat on my bed under the AC just to recover.  Eventually, once I had regained a modicum of energy, I went out to the balcony with my Ardor to write my entry.  That’s when I got two scares.

First, the heat and humidity immediately left a thin sheen on my laptop, and I was worried about it becoming water log.  The touchpad stopped working, and the laptop was physically making some odd sounds.  I decided I would need to do the chair by the door trick again, so I wanted to go back inside.  I couldn’t open the door.  It was not locked, but it was jammed shut.  I was now seriously worried.  I put the laptop down and, using both hands and all my might, I was able to jiggle it open.  My laptop soon dried off and was back to normal.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now publish so that I can close, post my photos, and get ready to head to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment