Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, September 7, 2017

American Oceania - Day 5B - The Weird Day

9/7/17, “The Weird Day”

Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport, Guam (GUM)

I am about to go back in time.  It is the morning of Thursday, September 7 here in Guam, and I am about to fly to Honolulu.  When I land there it will be the evening of Wednesday, September 6.  The flight is 8 hours, but, by crossing the International Date Line eastbound, I will go back 20 hours in time, a net gain of 12 hours.  I have only done that twice before, both times flying to LAX, in fact, HND-LAX in 2014 and SYD-LAX on the first of this year.  However, both times previously, I merely had a longer day.  This is the first time I’ve actually ever relived a day like this.

Yesterday’s entry was written entirely on 9/6, today’s entry is starting on 9/7, but it will be written later on 9/6.  Tomorrow’s entry will be entirely written on 9/7.  Yesterday was Day 5, but can I call this Day 6?  That would make tomorrow Day 7, which would really be weird, if September 2 was Day 1, but September 7 will be Day 7 (and September 8 be Day 8, etc.)  Or, do I do something similar to what I did when I came back from Seoul and call this Day 5B or even call today Day 6A and tomorrow Day 6B?  These are the questions that vex me on this Weird Day.

I don’t have much to report, but I am back in the smoking room at GUM, and I have some time to kill before I have to go to my gate, so I will round this out and bring the entry up to speed.  After I closed last night, I published my entry and took my time posting my photos.  I relaxed a bit and then packed and got ready.  At 2 AM, I drove to the airport, stopping for gas along the way.  I dropped off the keys at Alamo and then realized I had forgotten my charger in the car.  The agent was already on her way to the car, so I raced after her to retrieve it.  She checked the car, and I was good to go.

There was a flight about to depart to Japan, so the airport was crowded, which meant a long line for security, but it went quickly enough.  I realized that I had almost no coffee today, so I stopped for a double espresso and, unable to find a water fountain, a half-liter bottle of water.  I was shocked at the price.  Combined they cost more than lunch did today.

I then went to the smoking patio, where I lit up an Oliva.  The flight soon started boarding, and, it was cramped but short.  When we landed at Guam, I went to the smoking area, where I sat down in my spot from the other day, lit up a Graycliff, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can finish my cigar before I go to the gate.


9/6/17
Hilo, Hawai’i, Hawaii


After somewhere between two and four Days in the Marianas, depending on how you account for the International Date Line, I am back in Hawaii for a brief respite before I turn around and go to American Samoa.  If the Marianas were the appetizer, this two-Day respite would be the sorbet that cleanses my pallet before the entree is brought out, or, if you would prefer, the first of the two entrees on a tasting menu.

As my astute reader will note, and as I have pointed out, this entry has two different dates.  When I wrote this morning, it was 9/7, but now, tonight, it it is 9/6.  I am at Hilo Bay Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast, a charming B&B on the Big Island, a short walk from the Mokupapapa Discovery Center, which serves as the VC for Papahanaumokukea National Marine Monument.  I will note that I not typing any of these from reference.  I have, indeed, memorized the spelling of each of these words.  Papahanaumokukea, try saying that five times fast.  I’ll wait.

That is the reason for this respite, to see Papahanumokuea National Marine Monument, which is actually closed to the public.  In order to claim it, I will be visiting three islands in two Days and then going to Pearl Harbor before I fly to American Samoa.  The VC is on this island, the closest I can get to the WHS boundary is on Kaua’i, which is where I will take my ceremonial picture, the Plaque is on Oahu.

As I have been saying, this has been a very weird day, with dinner tonight the closest I came to anything that could be classified as an activity.  After I closed at GUM, I headed to the gate.  They had an immigration control at the gate, and customs would be at HNL.  I got on the flight, and I was on complete edge.  The GUM-HNL flight was scheduled to land at 5:50 PM, and I thought my HNL-ITO flight was at 7:07 PM.  That was a very tight connection.  Fortunately, I was able to avoid checking bags, so I figured I would okay, but tight.  I also anticipated an arduous process going through customs at HNL and transferring from the international terminal to the inter-island terminal.

I then got a few pieces of good news.  My flight was actually at 7:24 PM, not 7:07 PM, and the customs/transfer process was nowhere near as arduous as I anticipated.  It was just a short walk to the customs hall, then another short walk to the inter-island terminal.  That was much easier than my outbound transfer.  I was feeling pretty good.

That’s when they said that our flight was being held because they were awaiting 100 passengers connecting from Hong Kong.  What the actual fuck?!?  I checked to see when the HKG-GUM flight had landed, and it had landed at 5:30 PM, so I breathed a sigh of relief, figuring that the delay couldn’t be that bad.  It wasn’t.  We were only delayed by 15 minutes, and I had some champagne to make the time go by quicker.  While my phone said it was 6:15 AM, I had been awake for ten hours.  As I have said, it’s been a weird day.  Once we were airborne, breakfast consisted of fruit, yogurt, stir-fried pork and noodles, and a cinnamon roll, along with club soda.  Yes, stir-fried pork and noodles with fruit and yogurt.  What else would I have for breakfast on this weird day?

I fell asleep after breakfast and woke up for lunch, which consisted of a pulled pork and melted cheese sandwich, along with Pringles and more club soda.  I didn’t want the bread, so I just scraped the pork and cheese off of the sandwich.

We soon made our descent into Honolulu, and I could see Pearl Harbor out the window as we descended.  Customs was a breeze, and I was at the check-in counter at the inter-island terminal within 15 minutes of us touching down.  I had an hour before my flight to Hilo.  I was good.  I went to check in at the kiosk, and it printed my boarding pass, along with my boarding passes for the next four legs.  Of the following 48 hours, I would be flying HNL-ITO-HNL-LIH-HNL-PPG, and it printed out all five boarding passes.  Now, reader, how’s this for irony.  After my panic about making my connection, after all the time I spent worrying, my HNL-ITO flight was delayed by 15 minutes.

I was at my gate 30 minutes before boarding even began.  I had a Fig Bar, not wanting to indulge in Burger King, as much as I was craving some Chicken Fries, and boarding soon began.  I had the whole three-seater to myself, and I was surprised how roomy the overhead bins were, easily fitting my overstuffed carry-on.  It was a short flight, and I actually had a cell signal for a lot of it, as we passed over Maui and again as soon as we were over the Big Island.

I had called the proprietor of the B&B where I was staying to let him know about my late arrival and to ask him what to do for dinner.  He recommended a place called Pineapples, which had last order at 9:30 PM.  The menu looked perfect.  When I got to ITO, it was a bit of a maze to find the taxi stand, and there weren’t any taxis.  One soon pulled up, and the driver told me I was only his second fare of the day.  That was odd.

He took me to the B&B, and I saw Mokupapapa Discovery Center as we drove.  It was a bit of a challenge to find the B&B, but the proprietor walked out and greeted me when we pulled up.  There were all sorts of drinks and snacks lying about, and he told me to help myself to anything.  I resituated myself and then walked to Pineapples, constantly repeating the word Papahanaumokukea until I actually could say it five times fast.  I then walked by the Mokupapapa Discovery Center and looked in the window.  I could clearly see a stamp pad and brochures.  That’s why I was here.

I continued to the restaurant.  It was just a giant patio, and I sat by the edge.  I ordered an island beer and their specialty, coconut-crusted freshly-caught fish, ono tonight, along with summer squash, rice, and, of course, pineapple.  It was perfect.  Then it started pouring.  Badly.  I wondered about getting home.

While I was finishing up, I got a call on my cell phone.  It was the proprietor.  He asked if I needed a ride back, as he had saw the rain.  I gladly accepted.  He came just as I finished paying my bill.  Talk about good service.  Once we were back, I changed into my pajamas and examined the sunburn on my neck.  It was bad.  It looked like the flag of Monaco.  I will not explain that reference.  I then went out to the patio, where I lit my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and post my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment