Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, September 11, 2017

American Oceania - Day 10 - 5 Years, 17 Goals

9/11/17, “5 Years, 17 Goals”

Fagatogo, American Samoa


And then there was one.  Of the 300-some data points required to complete this five-year quest, to complete all 17 Goals I set for myself, only one remains: Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park.  It is my last National Park and my last US World Heritage Site.  By visiting National Park of American Samoa this morning, I am down to just one last data point before I can say, “Mission Accomplished.”  It has been a grueling five years, and, when I set out to see the world that fateful July night in Kentucky five years ago, I did not realize what it would entail.  When I set my first 4 Goals that night, I did not know that 13 more would follow.

When I tried to visit every Olympic Stadium, I did not realize how challenging that would be, and, once I did, I did not think I could possibly succeed.  That is true twice as much for visiting every North American WHS, all 109 of them, including places in Central America that I was only able to visit with the help of some tour guides whom I was very fortunate to find, along with a new friend that I made from Mexico in the process, someone whose mission was to visit every WHS in his home country.  Together, we did it, we did what he thought was impossible, and I agreed, though I would never admit it.  We made the impossible possible.  I am thankful to everyone who has helped me along the way, in every way, shape, and form.  This was not something I could have done alone, and the people who helped me made all the difference in the world.

I have had bad fortune and good fortune in this quest, and if it were not for some random streaks of good fortune, this mission would have been a failure.  I have arrived at sites minutes before they closed, or after they closed and still been allowed to enter.  I have entered sites that were not supposed to be open to the public, thanks to an unlocked gate or door at an Olympic Stadium.  I have had my share of run-ins with security officers and government officials.  I have had flat tires and other car troubles that were far worse.  I have chartered planes and boats and hired private tour guides who lived with me for multiple days.  I have done it all.  I have always put the mission first.  Now, only one last data point remains.

I have been asked what the 17 Goals are, since I have never publicly enumerated them before.  This will be my last chance to write about them before I complete my mission.  In fact, this is my penultimate entry.  I will publish as soon as I finish writing, and then I will write one more entry at HVNP, which will be the last entry I write in this Travelogue.  Once my mission has been accomplished, this Travelogue will be deemed closed.

Here are the 17 Goals in order of priority: US States (50), US WHS (22/23), CAN Provinces (10), CAN WHS (18), Continents (7), NA Countries (24), Olympic Stadiums (27), US Territories (5), CAN Territories (3), US National Parks (58/59), US Winter Stadiums (4), Wonders of the Ancient World (6), Natural Wonders of the World (7), New7 Wonders of the World (7), NA WHS (109), CAN Winter Stadiums (2), US National Memorials (32).  None of those 17 Goals have been easy.

Visiting all 50 States was a slow churn, but I am glad to say that I completed it at the beginning of this trip with my first Official meal in Hawaii.  US WHS has been a lifelong mission for me, and some are easier than others, Taos Pueblo providing a unique challenge, but I have methodically been working my way through them, and I will finish that Goal tomorrow at HVNP.  CAN Provinces was another slow churn, and the drive across the prairie was no easy task, but I visited my 10th and final province of Newfoundland and Labrador this summer.  All CAN WHS was very challenging, in no small part due to the remoteness of some of them.  Most of them can easily be visited by car, and Wood Buffalo NP can be visited by car, but not easily.  Nahanni NPR is another story.  That requires a chartered flight and luck with the weather.  We got lucky.  With Gros Morne NP this summer, I completed that Goal.

Visiting all 7 Continents was both easy and hard, easy because there are only 7 data points, but hard because one of them is hard to visit and other very hard.  5 of the 7 continents have direct flights from Kennedy, Australia is a long two-leg flight, but Antarctica is another story.  You need to take two flights to Ushuaia and then a cruise ship to the continent and a Zodiac ashore, if you have luck with the weather.  I was lucky again, and I was able to set foot on the continent.  In Australia, last Christmas, I finished that Goal.

All NA Countries was also a challenge, the island nations in the Caribbean being no easy task, especially figuring out how to get to Cuba.  That was a slow grind, but it was one of the more enjoyable grinds.  This summer, in Iceland, I completed that Goal.  Olympic  Stadiums were one of the two hardest.  Some of them offer tours to the public.  Others have been demolished and the site of the Stadium is easily accessible.  Others are just simply open to walk in any time.  The rest, not so much.  For some, you can see a sports match at the Stadium, which is easy if you plan it right.  Others are not open to the public at all, and you have to sneak or find an accommodating security guard.  It was not easy, but I had a string of good luck.  I set foot inside all 27, completing that Goal in Sydney at the end of last year.

US Territories was by no means easy, getting here or to the Marianas was no easy task, but it was only 5 data points, and I marked America Samoa as my 5th Territory a few days ago.  CAN Territories was only 3 data points, but all three were hard.  For Northwest Territories, I had to fly to Edmonton then drive all day (16 hours) to Fort Smith.  That was the easiest one.  Nunavut required three flights to get to the capital of Iqaluit and some intense questioning from a CBSA officer about why I was going to Iqaluit.  Yukon was another long drive from Juneau by way of Haines, but, three years ago, that was where I completed that Goal.  US NP was a challenge, another lifelong quest, and the hardest ones were the ones in Alaska, which were only accessible by charter flight or long drives, but we did it and visited all 8 in Alaska.  Tomorrow, HVNP will mark my last one of the 59.  US Winter Stadiums might have been the easiest, as it only required 4 data points, none of them particularly hard.  Squaw Valley and the two in Lake Placid were easy enough, the hardest challenge being finding the right spot as the stadiums themselves had been demolished.  Salt Lake City was just a matter of finding when a football game was going on and buying a ticket, which was where I completed that goal three years ago.

Wonders of the Ancient World was very hard.  Everyone says, “The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World,” and I was prepared to go to Iraq in search of the mystical Hanging Gardens of Babylon before I learned that they probably never actually existed.  Only the Pyramids are still standing, and the other five have been well-documented and the archaeological evidence well-preserved.  Trips to Greece, Turkey, and Egypt allowed for a relatively easy completion of that Goal, which I did in Rhodes last year.  The Natural Wonders of the World were harder.  I had already been to the Grand Canyon and most of the others were easy enough to visit, the Northern Lights requiring some luck and Everest being, by far, the most challenging, involving multiple flights and a helicopter.  At the end of last year, I marked this Goal complete at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.  The New7 Wonders were also challenging, but I had already visited Petra before I added that Goal to the list.  Delhi, Beijing, Cancun, Rio, and Rome all have direct flights from Kennedy, but Machu Picchu was not easy by any stretch.  I managed it, though, and I marked this Goal complete at the Colosseum a year ago.

NA WHS was, by far, the hardest, with 109 data points, many of them in remote places.  I needed tour guides for Central America, a private tour package for Kujataa, which I preemptively visited, and private boats for Revillagigedo and Surtsey, in addition to the charter flights I previously mentioned.  This was the biggest drain on resources, both time and money, of all 17.  This summer, at Gros Morne NP in Newfoundland and Labrador, I marked that Goal complete, the two in Hawaii being Oceania, rather than North America.  CAN Winter Stadiums was easy enough, only two data points.  I got a ticket for a soccer game in Vancouver so that I could take my ceremonial picture, then, two years ago, I went to Calgary during my trip to the Canadian Prairie.  I lucked out in that they were having some kind of football camp, so I was able to mark that Goal complete.  The lowest priority was US National Memorials, and a fair number of them were in DC, which I had already visited in large part.  The biggest challenge was Port Chicago Naval Magazine, as that could only be done at one time on a Saturday and had to be arranged in advance.  A week ago I marked that Goal as Complete at American Memorial Park in Saipan.  That’s all 17 of them.  Tomorrow, I will visit HVNP and end this mission with my final entry.  Who knows what my 30s will hold?

After I closed last night, I published my photos and passed out.  I woke up around 7 AM and got ready for my morning at the National Park.  I wasn’t that hungry, so a fiber bar was more than enough.  I packed everything I needed for the next few hours and left my laundry out.  I went to McDonald’s for some coffee but couldn’t resist getting a hash brown.  I continued to the VC for the NP and took care of my business there.  The best idea for a ceremonial picture was to drive to the northern tip of the park and take the trail to the ocean there, where I could see Pola Island

I did exactly that and lit up a Punch once I entered the NP.  I was rewarded with a stunning vista once I finished the short trail and took my ceremonial picture.  My sunburn had quickly become tolerable with proper management, and I was able to enjoy myself.  It was a pristine vista with not a single sign of human interference anywhere.  That was 58 out of 59 National Parks, “American Samoa Complete,” and “All US Territories Complete.”  I went to another trail, which was described as a hike up a switchback path and then a climb down a rope ladder, sounded fun.

The hike up was grueling, and when I got to the rope ladder, it was a hard no.  I looked down and thought of all the things that could risk the mission if I went down.  I could twist an ankle or lose something mission-critical out of my pocket.  I ditched my cigar and walked back to my car.  I then lit up a Graycliff and went to a third trail, which was a nice walk in the woods.  I had done three trails, and I was spent.  I went back to my car, and my idea was to go to a restaurant called Tisa’s Barefoot Bar.  When I got there, it looked closed, which was just as well, as I wasn’t really hungry.  I drove back to the hotel, ditching my cigar outside, and went to my room.

My laundry was in a pile in the room, and I heated up my Chinese food leftovers from last night.  The five sweet and sour prawns was the perfect amount of food, in addition to replenishing my salt and sugar levels.  I then went out to the balcony and sat down in my usual spot, where I lit up an OpusX and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish early and make some final preparations before I head to the airport tonight.  Only one entry remains.  One Day more.

No comments:

Post a Comment