Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, September 3, 2017

American Oceania - Day 1 - Aloha

9/2/17, “Aloha” (Goal 13/17 Complete)
Kula, Maui, Hawaii

Aloha is used here to say both hello and goodbye, and, today, I have said, “Aloha,” to my 50th State.  There ain’t any left to visit.  The sun is now setting on my first day in this state, but tomorrow I will be making my way to Guam.  If this trip was a multi-course meal, today was just the welcome dish, the amuse bouche.  Guam and Saipan will be the appetizer.

I have claimed my 50th State, completing the 13th of my 17 Goals, but it was the first goal to ever be set.  It was the first thing I said that fateful night in Kentucky when I started this mission.  “I am going to visit all 50 States before I turn 30,” or some such variation on that phrasing.

Kentucky had marked, if my count is right, my 40th State.  I went to Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma with my friend the next week.  I went to Louisiana for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras the next year, followed by a trip to check-off Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montana in the summer.  That was 47, within 14 months of that night in Kentucky.  The next summer I went to Alaska with another friend, followed by a solo trip that took me to Idaho.  I was now at 49 a few weeks after turning 27.

I could have flown to Honolulu any weekend to claim this as my 50th State, but I waited.  I wanted to make this trip special.  I wanted to take a proper two-week trip to see everything there was to see in American Oceania, and I wanted to celebrate my 30th Birthday in style.  On that last front, I could not imagine a better way of celebrating it than at Hawaii’s most iconic restaurant with one of my dearest friends.

Before then, I will explore the other parts of American Oceania and visit Hawaii’s two World Heritage Sites, which will allow me to at last check-off all of my goals, after which I can do something that I almost never do in my travels: relax on the beach.  This is a trip that promises to be a contender for the Greatest of all Time, and it is a trip five years in the making, from the moment that I made that fateful utterance outside my cabin at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky.

After I closed last night, I hid my cigar and went to bed, sleeping fitfully throughout the night, but I think I caught four full REM cycles.  I woke up and went down for breakfast, which was a disappointing buffet selection.  I got a sausage, mushroom, and onion omelet, along with bacon and potatoes.  I ordered a coffee, which took ten minutes, ten precious minutes that I didn’t have.  The meal was satisfying, though, and I got ready and headed back outside.  I retrieved my cigar, which was waiting where I left it, and finished it while I awaited the shuttle.  It worked perfectly.

I got to the airport an hour before my flight, which was slightly nerve-wracking, but I had no issue and was at my gate before they started boarding.  I had a mai tai before we took off, followed by coffee and macadamia nuts.  I watched a movie I had been meaning to watch for a while now, “Young Frankenstein.”  It was funny, but not as incredible as the person who had recommended it to me had made it to be.  I then caught another REM cycle before we started our descent.

It hit me once I saw the coast from the sky.  I was finally doing it.  My 50th State.  I had realized a bit of a problem.  In order to claim a new state (or country), I need to smoke a Cuban in the state, in addition to the Official meal.  However, I usually like to post my picture of the meal as the way of claiming the state.  What to do?  I realized that there was a beach right by the airport.  I could light a cigar on that beach, take a ceremonial picture, have my lunch, and then finish the cigar after lunch.  I was very proud of myself for thinking of that solution.

After we landed, I picked up my car from Hertz and drove to the beach, where I lit up a Cohiba Siglo II, my favorite, and the cigar I will use for claiming all new states/territories on this trip.  I then went to a well-reviewed place called Tin Roof Maui.  It was crowded and seating was limited.  You order at the counter and either take it to go or set it at the other counter they have for dining.  I had to wait for a spot to clear up after my pork belly tin was ready.

Once I had a spot, I took my first bite and said it, “All 50 States.  Goal 13/17 Complete.”  I posted the picture in collage with the ceremonial picture on the beach and then retrieved my cigar.  I went back to my car and judged that I could change from my travelling suit into my casual clothes quickly and modestly behind my car’s trunk.  After all, I would not be showing any more skin than I would on the beach.  I then began the long and arduous drive to the coastal region of Haleakala National Park, which would mark my 57th out of 59.

The drive was hard once I got away from the airport.  It felt like I was in the Caribbean.  Did I mention I had a convertible?  It was really perfect for the weather.  After my Cohiba, I switched to a Davidoff Nic Toro and played “Red.”  Then the drive got harder.  It was a dirt road with one narrow lane.  Not one narrow lane in each direction.  One narrow lane, full stop.  There were pull-outs for when we met oncoming traffic.  More often than not, though, one of us had to reverse to allow for a safe passing.

Eventually, I was there.  I realized that I had a major error by not pre-booking my spot for seeing the sunrise tomorrow morning at the opposite end of the park, and I am now unsure if I will even get the stamp before I have to go to the airport.  I got my stamp at the VC in the coastal region, lit up a Bolivar, and walked to the Oheo Pools, getting caught in the rain on the way.  It was stunning view of the waterfalls once the rain stopped, and I was proud to say, “57 Down, 2 to go.”

After I was done, I headed to my hotel, back up the same brutal road I had just finished driving, lighting up a Graycliff for the drive.  I was loving every minute of this trip so far.  I got to my hotel, resituated myself, and went to the smoking area, where I watched the sunset as I lit up a Jericho Hill and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get some dinner.  I will do another entry after dinner, so I will not publish quite yet.



This isn’t much as far as establishing shots go, but it’s my own personal piece of paradise.  I am tucked away in my little corner here, much the same as I was on my last night in the United States Virgin Islands, smoking the rest of my cigar outside my hotel room.  It is completely peaceful here, and I have a few hours to relax before I go to sleep.  I mapped everything out, and I should be able to get my stamp and get to the airport on time, but I will need to be on the road not much past 6 AM.

I am behind the 8-ball when it comes to sleep right now, but that will all change by the time I get to Guam, thanks to a few tricks fo the International Date Line, I will actually get two full nights of sleep after tomorrow’s adventures before my first activity in Guam.  I will address that more in tomorrow’s entry.

The week before I left was one of the busiest weeks of my life.  Sunday was the Game of Thrones season finale, and from then, until the time I got in the car to the airport, the only things I have done are talk about the episode, work, hang out with a few choice friends three different nights last week, get ready for my trip, and sleep.

The last one was what gave, and I have still not yet recovered from my shortage of sleep this week.  As I said, by the time I wake up in Guam on what will be Tuesday morning local time, I will be fully refreshed, having gotten two nights of sleep with no intervening activities.  For now, though, I just want to finish this entry, post my photos, and get to sleep.

After I closed, I headed into town to get dinner at the Japanese restaurant, which was the closest I could get to local food.  The menu was decent enough, but I have found myself to have less and less of an appetite of late, having two small meals and a fiber bar as my total food consumption in a typical day, unless I wind up going out with a friend for dinner.  Today, I had had a good breakfast, and lunch was just a few pieces of pork belly.  I ordered two appetizers, salmon teriyaki and shrimp and vegetable tempura.  It was the perfect amount of food, and it was excellent.  I would have gotten brown rice, but they didn’t offer that, nor did they have seltzer.  Two appetizers and water did the trick perfectly fine, though.

After dinner, I drove back to my hotel.  When I got to my room, I retrieved my cigar, made some coffee, changed into my pajamas, and headed outside, where I sat down, lit up my cigar, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish, post my photos, and get some sleep in advance of my drive up the volcano tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment