Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Destination: Ninstints - Day 1 - In Transit

5/27/17, “In Transit”

Vancouver International Airport, British Columbia (YVR)

I have now been in Canada for eight hours, or, more accurately, I have been at YVR airport for eight hours, but it feels much longer.  I have two-and-a-half hours before my flight to Sandspit, I love that name, plenty of time for a cigar and to write this entry.  I am fully refreshed, the airport hotel being as nice as any downtown hotel would have been, and I am ready to take on the world.  Unfortunately, today will be spent entirely in transit.  It will be evening by the time I get to Queen Charlotte tonight, too late to do anything, but it seems a nice enough place to relax.

I am actually surprised that more airports do not have hotels in the airport itself.  I know that MIA does, but I am not aware of any other US airport that has an in-terminal hotel.  To me, that would often be the difference between sleeping on a seat or bench in the terminal and shelling out for a hotel room.  I am perfectly willing to stay at an in-terminal hotel on an overnight layover, but having to take a shuttle bus to the hotel defeats the purpose.  I think JFK is actually working on building a hotel connected to Terminal 5, and LAX might also be working on one.  As I said, I am fully refreshed.

After I closed last night and published, as I got into bed, I noted that dawn was about to break.  I slept sporadically throughout the night, the sunlight and time zone change, along with my watch still being on Eastern Time, messing with my mind.  I got about four hours of sleep and then headed down for breakfast.  I was hungry but not starving.  There was a high-quality breakfast buffet, but I wasn’t sure I had the appetite to do it justice.  There were colds, hots, and desserts.  If I went for it, I needed to commit to a three-course meal.  I went for it.

My first course was a bagel half and a large piece of toast as my bases, various butters and cheeses and smoked salmon for my toppers.  I also had a plate of fruit, coffee, and juice.  I was starting to get full after the first course, but I powered through.  A breakfast buffet must be seen as a challenge, an opportunity to get a good start to the day, and one must make the most of it.

After the cold food, I went for the hot food.  The waffles were freshly made, and they had an egg station, so I asked for a waffle with fried eggs on top.  When they gave me the food, I also put bacon, mushrooms, potatoes, and a small sliver of French toast on the plate, and I doused the whole thing with maple syrup.  It was excellent, not as good as some that I’ve had in Europe or even at this hotel’s sister hotel in Quebec (AKA, The Frontenac), but it was definitely a solid B+.  After the hot food, I was full.  I knew that I would not be able to enjoy the dessert course, so I went back to the room to recover from that feast.

After about an hour, I wanted a cigar, so I packed, changed into my suit, and checked out of the hotel.  The smoking area was conveniently located immediately outside, so I left my luggage with the bellhop and went outside, where I sat down, lit up an LFD Reserva Especial, which I had gotten at Smoklahoma, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.


Queen Charlotte, British Columbia


Well, I’m here, though it will be another 36 hours before we actually disembark for Ninstints.  I left my apartment in New York 27 hours ago, and it has taken that long before I have finally settled into my hotel room and am changed into my nightclothes.  Contrast that to the 6 hours it took for me to get settled into my hotel room in Toronto after I left my apartment for my last trip to Canada.  That number is also slightly inflated, as I spent an hour walking around town and also got dinner before I came back to the hotel.  Still, it is an inordinate amount of time to be in transit, whether I count it as 25 or 27 hours.

I am glad to be here, and, while I am used to rural Canada, being in the Pacific Northwest makes it even more dramatic, as this establishing shot proves.  Other than this small town, there is nothing but water, trees, and mountains as far as the eye can see.  I love it here, and I am very glad that I have a full day tomorrow to just relax and enjoy.  It seems that rural Canada is the only place I ever allow myself extended time to relax.  It is just a function of the scheduling, really, but I am glad that it works out that way.  I still have such fond memories of Yellowknife and Fort Simpson from that trip.  This is a similar trip.  I have written datelines with names of Fort Smith, Yellowknife, Fort Simpson, and Whitehorse.  Queen Charlotte will be a nice addition to the mix.

After I closed at YVR, I headed to my gate, which was a simple enough process, even though my gate seemed to be at the opposite end of the terminal.  We boarded a tiny propeller plane, and I happened to have the furthest seat in the back, a window seat in the last row.  There were no middle seats, just window and aisle.  I had hoped to have the pair to myself, but someone sat down next to me.  Just as we were about to take off, he switched to the exit row, and I had my little corner to myself.  I slept most of the flight, and we soon landed at Sandspit.  I had not given much thought to how I would get from Sandspit to Queen Charlotte.  It was an hour, including a ferry, and I wasn’t sure if cabs made that route.

When I walked out of the airport, I saw that there was a shuttle bus that makes that trip, and, fortunately, he had room.  It was slightly after 3 PM, and the ferry was scheduled for 4:05 PM.  It was a little tight to make the ferry, but, it was just that one flight, and he just needed to wait until everyone had their luggage.  The drive was very scenic, and we were soon at the ferry terminal.  One hitch.  The ferry was full.  However, the driver said he could cut to the front of the line, since he was a transit bus.

That was easier said than done, since it was actually a line of cars, and he actually had to cut to the front with his bus.  In the end, he wound up trying to park off to the side, which involved a tight maneuver around a parked car, which I was shocked he managed to successfully execute.  We waited for the ferry to come, and, once it did, he had to do the maneuver again in reverse.  SCREEEECCCHHHHH.

He hit the car.  It was just a fender bender, but the damage was visible.  Next thing we knew, one of the ferry workers came running to the car.  “Did you just hit my car?”  “Ohoh, Fuh-uh-UCK.”  That’s how they pronounce the F-word here.  A lot more f-bombs were dropped, far more than I thought were necessary given how minor the accident was.  We got on the ferry, and they exchanged information.  Meanwhile, I went to the smoking area of the boat and lit up a Nat Sherman.  It was a beautiful and short ride.  Once we arrived at the other terminal, I headed back to the bus, since we would be the first ones off.  The ferry worker was apologizing to the driver for cursing him out, saying that he needs to go back to anger management class.  You can’t make this shit up.

It was a short ride there to the village, and my hotel was right in town.  I checked in to the hotel and changed into some more casual clothes.  I was starving, so I wanted to go out for dinner.  I also wanted to finish my cigar from the boat.  Once I was ready, I retrieved my cigar and headed towards the dock to check-in for Monday’s tour.  I didn’t see a station for the company or anything, so I called the number.  James, the guy I had dealt with by email in January, picked up.

He actually had just seen me walk by him, so we hung up to continue the conversation in person.  Everything was all set, besides the final payment, and he showed me around, explaining the plan for Monday.  The boat was slightly less primitive than I expected, and He said that I could have a smoke at sea if I wanted to sit in the back.  He gave me some tips for meals how to spend tomorrow.  He also said that he thought he might be able to take me on a transport run tomorrow if I wanted to catch some extra time at sea.  I was glad for the offer.

I went to one of the two Chinese restaurants, a fixture of rural Canada, especially in The North.  They didn’t have proper egg rolls, nor did they have club soda, so I just got a main course, honey garlic chicken, which was quite good.  After dinner, I went to the convenience store to get some food for the next few days, and I also picked up some local beer at the liquor store.   I headed back to the hotel, went out to the balcony, where I sat down, lit up a Romeo y Julieta, cracked open my Red Truck lager, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, so that I can publish and relax a bit before I pass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment