Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Taos: Take Three - Day 1 - “Just Around the Riverbend”


5/20/17, “Just Around the Riverbend”

Albuquerque, New Mexico


It seems as if the third time was the charm for visiting Taos.  In life, just as in travel, you never know what is waiting just around the riverbend.  While my travel decisions are less impactful than Pocahontas’s decision of whether to marry Kocoum or see what might be waiting just around the riverbend, the concept is relevant.  I like to call them “on-the-ground conditions.”  That could be something as simple as the parking situation or what souvenir stores are in a city.  Sure, that kind of information can be scouted out in advance, to some degree, but the on-the-ground conditions can never be fully assessed before departure.  Construction can cause delays, and road closures can force detours.  The difference between being able to pull off an ambitious agenda and coming up short will come to these on-the-ground conditions because you truly never know what is waiting just around the riverbend.  The same is true in life.  Every first date or new opportunity is a riverbend, and, if you do not pursue a given opportunity, you will never find out what is waiting just around the riverbend.

That was what I had in mind today.  This trip was designed around getting stamps and seeing the Plaque at Taos Pueblo, but I had no way of knowing what was waiting just around the riverbend, what the on-the-ground conditions would be at Taos.  When we went two years ago, they said the stamp was broken and being replaced and that the Plaque would be up by summer.  I hoped for the best, and my ambitious agenda for the day would require perfect execution and no surprises just around the riverbend.  I had to be on the road at 6 AM if I wanted to take care of my business at Taos, visit Capulin Volcano, and also see the two NPS I needed to see in the Texas Panhandle.

After I closed last night, I soon passed out and woke up a few hours later, right before 6 AM.  I got on the road and stopped at McDonald’s for breakfast.  That was when the fun began (sarcasm).  I did the drive-thru, ordering a coffee, hash brown, a McGriddle, and a biscuit sandwich.  I paid at the next window and then got my coffee at the following window.  She mumbled something that I didn’t quite understand, and it seemed there was another window for the food.  I couldn’t find another window, so I circled back around and pulled up to that window, asking what to do.  The guy behind me started honking and cursing at me.  It turned out that they had a designated parking area and run the food to you.  I explained to the guy behind me that I had never seen a drive-thru that worked like that.  He said that he had never seen such a moron.  It was way too early to pick a fight with him, so I drove to the designated parking area, and he left with his coffee.  They soon brought my food to me.  I put my coffee in the cup holder and the McGriddle and hash brown on my lap.

I left the McDonald’s and turned onto the road that led to the highway.  Then a few things happened in rapid succession.  My McGriddle slid off my lap, and I caught it as it fell down the space between the space and the elbow rest.  I started to retrieve it, and the next thing I knew was the unfortunately familiar smell and sound of smoking metal.  I had hit the curb and damaged the axle.  This car would not be taking me to Taos today.  I knew that any delay would cost me my ambitious agenda, and I knew this would be a long delay.  I tried to calculate which site(s) I could jettison, and I realized, much to my dismay, that I would need to jettison the two sites in the Texas Panhandle, which are over four hours from the nearest site I have yet to visit.  In other words, when would I ever get a chance to visit them?  I called Enterprise, and they called a tow truck.

It was a surprisingly quick process, and I was in a new car and back on the road in less than two hours.  The tow truck came almost as soon as I hung up with Enterprise, and he loaded my car very quickly.  I ate the rest of my breakfast (minus the now-lost McGriddle) as we headed to the airport.  He had to make a quick stop for another customer on the way, but we got to the airport much quicker than I expected, and they put me in a replacement almost immediately.  I entered Taos into the Navigation and got back on the road.  I lit up a Camacho and was at Taos before long, listening to a particularly disturbing episode of Howard Stern.

I was ready to find out what was waiting just around the riverbend.  I asked about the stamp and Plaques.  They didn’t have a stamp, but they had stickers, which they had last time.  I asked for seven stickers (last time they were adamant about only one per customer), which I could use for all of my paperwork.  She reluctantly agreed.  She also said that the Plaque had fallen and broken and that they were still waiting on a replacement from the National Park Service.  In other words, I could have literally paid for 7 admissions two years ago, just to get the 7 stickers, and it would have been a fraction of the price of this trip.  I gained nothing else.  I put the stickers on my paperwork where I would have otherwise put a stamp, and then went into the Pueblo.

My first stop was lunch, a traditional chili with fry bread and coffee.  It was good but spicy.  I lit up an H. Upmann, took a few ceremonial pictures, and got a souvenir.  That was that.  From there, it was a straight shot to Capulin Volcano, which had been closed for the season when we went in January.

After the H. Upmann, I lit up a Graycliff, and, when it was done, stopped at a Sonic for a milkshake, also getting a mini popcorn chicken and some tots.  I finished it just before I got to the site, and, by this point I was starting to get tired of Howard.  He spent a significant part of the past 8 hours laughing about someone mispronouncing the word “cheeks” in a way that sounded more like “treeks.”  He must have played that clip over a dozen times.

I got to Capulin and did my business at the VC.  This was an actual volcano, and you could drive up to it.  Once your were there, you could walk up to the rim and walk down into the crater.  I lit up a Prensado and did both walks.  It was pretty cool being inside the volcano.  I took my ceremonial pictures and headed back to Albquerque.  It would be 8:15 PM by the time I got to Connor’s place.  I stopped only for gas, and, by that point, Howard had looped back to where I started this morning, so I switched first to the new Beatles channel, then to various stand-up comedy channels.  I lit up a special edition Diamond Crown I had gotten in Oklahoma called a Black Diamond.

I met Connor at his place, and we went out to Blake’s Lotaburger, which is New Mexico’s most iconic native fast food chain.  I got their specialty green chili cheeseburger, along with fries and a water.  They cook all the food fresh, it seems, and that meant it was a bit of a wait.  The burger came with, unbeknownst to me, tomato, lettuce, and mustard.  The tomato and lettuce I could easily discard, but the mustard was slathered right onto the bottom bun.  I explained my mustard allergy and I asked for a new bottom bun.  It was taking way too long.  It turned out, they wouldn’t just give me the bottom bun, and instead they had to make a whole new sandwich.  I was fuming.  Where was the rationality behind that?  It was another ten minutes.  The burger was good, but not that good, and the green chili was so spicy it made my eyes water.  I really struggled with it.

After the burgers, I got a brownie, and we headed back to his place in time for SNL season finale.  Raymond’s brother, Pete, and Pete’s girlfriend, who live in Albuquerque, joined us, too.  It was an excellent episode, the best in months.  Connor then opened a bottle of Champagne, which had actually just become sparkling vinegar.  It was Dom Perignon.  That hurt.  I took one sip and not another sip.  Such a waste.  After the episode, we all went outside for cigars, a L’Atelier for me.  I was fading and having trouble staying awake.  They left after I finished my cigar, their cigars unfinished.  By they, I mean Pete and his girlfriend.  Connor stayed, of course.  I sat down on the couch, where I lit up my trusty Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment