Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Destination: Ninstints - Day 3 - SGang Gwaay

5/29/17, “SGang Gwaay”

Ninstints, British Columbia (SGang Gwaay)

It’s been a cross between a chant and a prayer.  “SGang Gwaay.  SGang Gwaay.”  It is pronounced, “skUNG-wye.”  The thought of this establishing shot is what has caused me to endure the brutal cold and wind as we cruised at 30 knots, the wind chill making it below freezing.  The ceremonial picture the sole reason why I devoted a four-day weekend to this trip.  SGang Gwaay.  That is why I came, and that is where I am.  This was the destination, the purpose, the reason.  It is quite possibly Canada’s least accessible WHS, but I don’t think Nahanni was any easier.

SGang Gwaay is the local name, Ninstints the name the British gave it.  It is the same place.  I have made it.  Nothing else this trip matters.  In fact, after I close this entry, technically the rest of the trip will be The Return Journey.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely.

These mortuary poles (not totem poles) depicted in the WHS inscription photo provide one of the best establishing shots I have ever taken.  I think there are less than two dozen souls in this entire village, 14 of them part of our group.  It is so calm and peaceful here, but I did not come to see nature.  I came to see culture.  I came to see this World Heritage Site, and I saw it.  I have succeeded in my mission, and I have said, “Western Canada Complete.”  Newfoundland and Labrador awaits.  Okay, so, how did I get here?

After I closed last night, I published, relaxed a bit, had some ice cream, which had melted in the fridge, then went to sleep after letting the ice cream settle and packing for the morning.  I woke up a little before 6 AM and walked down to the dock.  They suited me up in boots, splash pants, and a heavy-duty jacket.  Was this really necessary?  Yes, it was. 

There were to be 12 of us in the group, but only 11 were here.  The other guy was coming from England.  He had flown to Calgary with a motorcycle, biked, then took a ferry.  He was running a little late, so we waited.  James asked if I had wanted to sit in the back with him, which would allow me to smoke my cigar, if I could manage.  As soon as we took off, even suited up, it was brutal.  The wind was, well, 30 knots right in our face, and there was no sun.  We stopped for breakfast, literally, just slowed down.  Breakfast was various pastries and wraps, along with coffee.

After breakfast, I asked James if I could smoke.  He said I could, if I could manage to smoke at 30 knots.  I quipped, “Smoking a cigar at 30 knots isn’t a problem, but lighting it is.”  He said he would take it slow until I was lit, so I lit up a Tattoo.  It smoked, but quickly.  Our next stop was a little dock to relieve ourselves and stretch our legs.

We got back aboard, and I lit up a Prensado, which would have lasted 2 hours indoors.  It last half an hour at 30 knots.  We soon came up on SGang Gwaay, and I could feel the WHS calling me.  It would be three hours from that point before I got to take my ceremonial picture, and I was really Jonesing.  First, since it was “zero tide,” we had trouble pulling up to shore.  It was a bit of an adventure to get off the boat, but we managed.  After five of us, he decided he would use a skiff to get the rest of the group to shore, no easy process.

After we settled ashore, he began to cook lunch, yes, cook, while his first officer checked us in with the local watchmen.  Lunch was soon ready, freshly grilled salmon and some sides.  It was delicious.  I loved every bite.  After lunch, we headed back to the watchmen cabin and had to wait.  It was after 2 PM by the time we got on the trail to the village, despite having first pulled up to the beach at noon.

I just wanted to take my ceremonial picture.  We started to see a few mortuary poles, and I asked where the spot from the inscription picture was, but they gave me a cryptic answer.  We learned a lot about the tribe, what the poles meant, and how they lived.  It was interesting, but I just wanted to light up my cigar and take my ceremonial picture.  Eventually, we came to that point, and they pointed me to the beach where it was taken.

I ran off from the group to take my ceremonial picture, and I could hardly contain my excitement.  It was the exact spot.  I lit up my last Vegas Robaina Exclusivo Canada, from my last trip to Canada, took my ceremonial picture, and made my announcement.  “British Columbia Complete.  Western Canada Complete.  Newfoundland and Labrador, I’m coming for you.”  I leave for Newfoundland and Labrador in a month and a day.  That is all that stands between me and “Canada Complete.”  I then sat down on a piece of driftwood in view of the inscription photo, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are about to head back.


Queen Charlotte, British Columbia


What a day.  What a day fucking day.  I am exhausted and chilled to my very core.  I just can’t wait to get into my nice, warm bed, which I will do the moment I publish this entry.  The tips of my fingers are almost numb.  My chest is cold.  I can hardly breathe.  That is what spending a day with very little sun and a 30+ knot wind in your face will do.  Was it worth it?  Abso-fucking-lutely.  I don’t just say that because it was the only way to see the WHS, the WHS that allowed me to say, “Canada Complete.”

I say it because it was an experience I will never forget.  I say it because it because the carved mortuary poles at SGang Gwaay were one of the most impressive cultural sites I have seen in all of my travels.  What on this continent compares?  Not much, but I would put it in league with Taos Pueblo and Teotihuacan.  It is just that one vista, but it is a seriously impressive vista.  They are not as old as I thought, only dating back to the 18th Century, but that is about as far back as wood structures can remain, anyway, especially so close to the water.

James figured that there were only another couple of decades left before Mother Nature reclaimed them for her own.  That means, I am the last generation that will get to visit that site.  The culture dictates that these poles must be left to their own fate, otherwise the spirits will be trapped in them for all eternity, so we will not see any preservation efforts.  It was tribe that was eradicated by small pox, and these last remnants are soon to be gone.  I will never forget them, though.

After I closed, we made our way back to the boat, and I took a nap once we were underway.  We stopped to see some humpback whales, and I took that opportunity to light up an E.P. Carrillo.  We stopped next at a place called Windy Bay for snacks, and they have an actual, modern totem pole there.  We learned about the carvings on the pole, what everything meant, and posed for a group photo.

From there, James said that he would “clip it,” as we were running late.  45 knots.  That’s how fast we went.  That’s what made me feel like I was going to freeze to death.  I lit up an LFD for that stretch.  As soon as I had my cell signal back, it now being after 11 PM in New York, I posted my photo and got caught up on my notifications.  I was worried that the Chinese restaurant (J & T) would be closed when we got to shore, so James called my order ahead.  They said I could sit down to eat, so it seemed pointless to do it that way, but James was insistent.  We soon landed, and I rushed to the restaurant, just up the block and across the street from my hotel.

They were waiting for me, but they were still open for a bit, so I could have just ordered the traditional way.  James had ordered a large wonton soup and a sweet and sour pork for me, which turned out to be way too much food.  If I had ordered at the restaurant, I would have gotten the small soup and the combination plate.  As it was, the soup was enough to feed a family of four, and the pork was clearly meant for two, but it actually was only nominally more expensive.  I just didn’t need to eat that much pork, and I am paying the price now for such a heavy meal.

Sweet and sour pork seems to be a specialty of these small towns in the North, and having it at least once has become a fixture of these trips.  It’s always very good, but it’s a hard dish to screw up.  You just fry some pork in a wok and drown it in sweet and sour sauce.  It tastes the same in Fort Smith and Fort Simpson and Queen Charlotte.  If I get it in Nuuk or Ilulissat, I’m sure it will taste the same there, too.

After dinner, I went back to my hotel room and had a bad case of the shivers.  I started to wonder if it might not be viral, rather than physical.  No time to worry about that now.  I then went out to the balcony, where I sat down, lit up my trusty Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get back inside, where it’s warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment