Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Destination: Ninstints - Day 4 - The Return Journey

5/30/17, “The Return Journey”

Queen Charotte, British Columbia

Whenever I take a trip that necessitates me spending multiple days in the same city, especially days with not much planned each day, and I have a nice view from my hotel balcony, I always know that that view is how I will always remember that location.  The view from my hotel in Kingstown is eternally etched into my mind’s eye as the way I will always remember St. Vincent and the Grenadines.  Likewise, this view, from my hotel balcony, is how I will always remember the Queen Charlotte Islands.

My time here has come to an end, and I will be making my way back home in a few hours.  This view, should I live to be 100, is a view I will never forget.  I have enjoyed my team here, and I am very glad to have said, “Western Canada Complete,” and to have seen SGang Gwaay.  It is not a trip I will forget anytime soon, but now I must prepare for The Return Journey.

After I closed last night, I published my entry and finished off the rest of my melted ice cream before passing out.  I woke up to my alarm a little before 8 AM and headed out to breakfast.  After considering the brief menu for far longer than necessary, I decided on the “American-style pancake combo,” which was two pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, tomatoes, and broccoli.  Broccoli?  What self-respecting American has broccoli with their pancakes in the morning?  Or even tomatoes?  I asked them to hold the broccoli and tomatoes, and they soon brought the food.  The pancakes did not look like any pancakes I ever saw back home, but it all tasted fine.  After breakfast, I headed back to the hotel and arranged the shuttle to take me to the airport.  I then went out to the balcony, where I lit up a Partagas and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get some souvenirs before I pack and get ready.


Sandspit Airport, British Columbia (YZP)

Before I get into the bulk of my entry, allow me to paint the scene.  I am smoking a cigar, sitting on a bench outside a small airport that services one flight a day to and from the mainland.  In front of me, I see a small parking lot and a few houses.  Beyond that, it is only trees.  Trees as far as the eye can see.  Paired with those trees, not directly visible, are water and mountains.

Besides me is a mug of coffee, not a paper cup, a ceramic mug.  This is all washing down a hot dog and some chips.  The food and coffee was acquired in the following manner.  Inside the airport, there is an unattended cafe with some foodstuffs and a pot of coffee and mugs.  There is a board with prices listed for the hot food items.  The coffee and chips did not have a price listed.  There is a mug with some coins in it.

The board said, “Honour system.”  Where am I?  I asked a fellow traveler how much the coffee was, and, in true rural Canadian fashion, he answered, “Oh, there’s no real price, we just leave a few bucks in the mug.”  Okay, then.  I took a hot dog, chips, and a cup of coffee, put enough money in the mug to pay for everything, and sat down to eat my lunch.

After my lunch, with my mug in hand, I headed to this bench to smoke my cigar, drink my coffee, and write my entry.  My focus of this entry will be on these rural northern towns.  It will be on similar moments to this.  It will be an ode to The North, and, as is my tradition, I will treat The Return Journey in its entirety from my gate at YVR.

When I finish this entry, I hope it will be clear why I am so in love with The North.  I hope it will further be clear why I am so looking forward to Greenland, perhaps more than any place I have ever wanted to visit.  If, by the end of this entry, my reader does not understand why I am certain that Greenland is sure to soon claim uncontended title of “my favorite place in the world,” I have failed as a writer, and I have failed as a traveler.  Reader, when I say, “The North,” what comes to mind?  Snow?  Eskimos?  The Alaska wilderness?  The aurora?  Russians wearing thick coats in Siberia?

To me, other than the aurora, The North means none of those things.  To me, it means a cool summer.  It means days with 20+ hours of daylight and a steady temperature in the 60s.  It means rural communities only accessible by one road if that, else by boat or plane.  It mean small towns with a mix of European-descended nationals, Chinese immigrants, and natives that have lived here for generations, their way of life only marginally affected by modern technology.  It means towns with a half-dozen restaurants, most of them serving Chinese food.  It means breathtaking scenery everywhere you look.  It means a place to escape from it all, where nature and culture has become as one.  There is nothing else like it in the world, especially since I favor the natural scenery of The North to that of anywhere else in the world.

For my money, the single greatest passage of literature comes from Lord of the Rings, between Eomer of the Rohirrim and the Dwarf Gimli.  For generations, the Dwarves and the Elves had been feuding with one another, but circumstance forced Gimli to pass through the Elven domain of Lothlorien with the Fellowship.  He was afraid to set foot in an Elven realm, but he followed his friends.  When he was there, he was so enchanted by Galadriel, the Lady of the Woods, his hostess, that the old feuds were forgotten.  He was enchanted by her beauty, yes, but more so by her kindness, that an Elven queen would treat so kindly a humble Dwarf.

After they left Lothlorien, they soon found themselves in Rohan, where Eomer spoke unfavorably about the Lady of the Woods, and Gimli, not caring that his party was outnumbered ten-to-one by the Rohirrim, was prepared to fight to the death to defend her honor.  Aragorn defused the situation, saying that they needed allies in the war, not enemies, but Gimli demanded the argument resumed after the war and that he would duel Eomer to the death if he was not prepared to admit she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

After the war, all the Free Folk came together, and Galadriel came to Aragorn’s coronation, when he was to be wed to Arwen, who was known as the Evening Star, while Galadriel was identified with the morning.  Eomer and Gilmi, now old friends having fought besides each other, met once more.  Eomer had seen Galadriel, and he reported his findings to Gimli, in a passage that still brings tears to my eyes for the shear brilliance of the language, which I will try to recount as faithfully as I can.

Eomer told Gimli that some words still remained between them about the Lady of the Woods, and Gimli, hesitantly, asked if should fetch his axe.  Eomer begged his patience so that he could explain.  He said that, in any other company, he would have said everything Gimli wished and more about Lady Galadriel, but he could not bring himself to call Lady Galadriel the most beautiful woman in the world having seen her next to Queen Arwen Evenstar.  He then asked if he should have his sword brought for their duel.  In response, Gimli bowed low and said, “Nay, my lord.  Your heart belongs to the evening, but mine belongs to the morning,” in reference to the respective associations of their favored Elven ladies.

That line, after 1000 pages of adventuring and warring, is just perfect, that they would come to such an understanding.  Why do I bring this up?  Most people would talk about pink sand and blue water in the Caribbean as the most beautiful place in the word.  Their heart belongs to the evening.  Mine belongs to the morning.

My heart belongs to The North.  It belongs to Alaska and Canada and Maine and Fennoscandia.  However, those are but a taste of what The North has to offer.  What is further north?  Greenland, of course, with its fjorded coastlines and endless water views among the mountains and icebergs.

Now, I promised some stories.  I suppose we should start in Fort Simpson, since that was my first true experience of The North.  When I landed at the airport, someone, a stranger, in a truck, asked where I was going.  I told him my hotel.  He knew the place and offered to take me there.  I did not feel a moment of danger or hesitation.  I then asked where to go for dinner, and I was told that the Chinese restaurant was open pretty late.  How late?  8 PM.  Okay, then.  I rushed over and had my first experience with Chinese food in The North.  Oversauced and overpriced, but it sure was good.

Fast forward to Iqaluit (where?), the capital of Nunavut (huh?).  It was the end of March and 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  Everyone left their cars running when they jumped into shops.  There was no fear of people stealing the car, but there was plenty of fear of the cars freezing if they were left off without the block heater plugged in.  I doubt that the police force gets even one report of a car theft per year.

Now, we come here, with the airport cafe on the “honour system,” and my reader can, I believe, start to see the picture I am painting.  While I will not disrespect my readers who would prefer to spend their vacation on an all-inclusive five-star beach resort in the Caribbean, their heart belongs to the evening.  My heart belongs to the morning.

Now, what is even more remote than these quaint towns in northern rural Canada?  The even quainter towns in Greenland.  I fully expect that Nuuk and Qaqortoq and Ilulissat will put to shame Fort Smith and Fort Simpson and Iqaluit and Queen Charlotte.  Now, reader, having followed along with me, do you doubt what I have I said about Greenland, or should I fetch my axe?


Vancouver International Airport, British Columbia (YVR)

My previous entry was an ode to The North.  This entry will be dedicated to The West.  Once you get past the Mississippi River, and this applies to the land above the 49th Parallel, as well, it gets steadily more beautiful the further west you go.  It starts with the prairie, which is an underrated source of natural beauty.  Next you get the Rockies, which are stunning enough below the 49th Parallel but even more striking above the 49th Parallel.  What comes after that?

Well, the most beautiful places on this landmass.  You get the Pacific Northwest if you only go as far Oregon and Washington, but, keep following the coast to the west, which necessarily takes you north, and you get British Columbia, The Yukon, and, if you dare, Alaska.  The further west you go, the more water, trees, and mountains intermix.

You get those wooded mountains separated by small bodies of water, as I saw in the Queen Charlotte (Haidi Gwaii) Islands this trip.  You get the wondrous beauty of Juneau.  You get Kluane National Park and the glaciers of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, collectively the most beautiful WHS I have ever visited, with only Waterton-Glacier and the Canadian Rockies coming close.  However, all three of those WHS have that same northwestern geography.

While we have Acadia in Maine, and the Great Smokies and the Everglades in the southeast, they are rookies compared to what The West has to offer.  There is a reason my trip to the National Parks of the American West is the second greatest trip I have ever taken, second only to Rio 2016.  The Grand Canyon and the National Parks we saw in Utah are spectacular, each one of them putting to shame anything found east of the Mississippi, but there was so much in The West that we didn’t see that trip.  California alone has Yosemite and the Redwoods.  Washington has Olympic.  Wyoming and Montana share Yellowstone.

This is what The West has to offer, titans compared to their cousins in Maine and the southeast.  I do not know why it played out that way, and perhaps in the 16th Century there were natural features east of the Mississippi that could rival those in The West.  Perhaps 300 years of unrestrained cultural destruction of nature with no eye towards conservationism is why we only have these morsels.  On the other hand, it was decades, not centuries before after the first settlers went into The West that the likes of John Muir came along.

That said, you cannot make or unmake mountains, and it is clear that no mountain range east of the Mississippi can hold a candle to the Rockies.  Where am I going with all of this?  Here’s where I’m leading.  If you combine The North with The West, by which I mean British Columbia northwest of Vancouver, The Yukon, and Alaska, you get something truly special.  Reader, if you think that the forests and mountains and waters of Oregon and Washington, what you call the Pacific Northwest, are special, just hold your breath and go to what I call The Northwest.



I probably should have just finished that cigar.  The thing about tradition is, a new precedent can always set a new tradition.  It is not one that something that I do lightly.  In fact it is something that I only do with the utmost of deliberation and consideration, but, sometimes rationality justifies establishing a new precedent.  The case in point here is whether or not to close out the trip tonight or in the morning.  I had thought that I would clear US border control here at the airport, but, due to the late hour of the flight, I will actually have to wait until I land at JFK to clear border control.

Tradition dictates that I do not close out the trip until after I have cleared border control.  However, writing about my flight home, on which I intend to sleep, and clearing border control at JFK hardly makes an entry.  If necessary, I could write an epilogue about that, but I think I need to break that tradition and apply the domestic rules to overnight international flights.  If I am at my gate for an international redeye, I can close out the trip at that point, just as I would for a domestic flight.  This is the new precedent I will be setting by closing the trip now.  The other main reason for doing this is that the specific line I will use to close this trip is going to be far more appropriate to this entry.  Okay, so, all that remains is to treat The Return Journey in its entirety.

After I closed at Queen Charlotte, I went for a bit of a walk, only to discover I had locked my keys in my room.  They were going to hate me.  I got some souvenirs and enjoyed the sights for one last time.  I then headed back to my room, packed, and got ready.  I headed down, where the shuttle almost immediately appeared, and it took us to the ferry terminal.  We had almost an hour to kill, so I lit up an Oliva.

Soon enough, we were on the ferry, which was a short ride, and I saw our friend from Saturday.  I did not say anything.  From there, we headed to the airport, where I had my lunch as previously described and had a La Palina and wrote my ode to The North.

It was then time to go through security at Sandspit, and we boarded the prop plane, which would take us to Vancouver.  I had Seat 1A, and the seat next to me was empty.  It was like flying first class, minus the alcohol.  I did some travel planning and took a bit of a nap.  By this point, my charger was almost nonfunctional, not just slow, so I knew I would need to replace it at YVR.

We landed soon enough, and I got a burger with bacon, mushrooms, and onions, along with fries, for an early dinner from a place called Vera’s Burger Shack, which was quite good.  I then went outside, where I wrote my ode to The West.  I lit up a La Espinosa, which was so bad that I threw it out after a few minutes in favor of a Camacho, which actually wasn’t much better.

After I closed, I did a little travel planning, but it was cold, and I just wanted to go inside, so I headed to security.  After security, I stocked up on maple and salmon products at duty-free.  Another shop had cigars, but they were too expensive, so I took a pass.  I thought to myself, “Hopefully, I’ll have better luck in Reykjavik.”  I then headed to my gate, which was not yet open due to US regulations, and that is why I thought that I should have just finished my Camacho.

Regardless, I found a seat by the gate, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  I am not sure if my trip to Boston will be an overnight trip or not, and I am leaning towards no, so that will not count as a proper trip.  Next stop: Iceland and Greenland for what promises to easily be a top five trip of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment