Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Destination: Ninstints - Day 2 - A Day with Nothing To Do

5/28/17, “A Day with Nothing To Do”

Queen Charlotte, British Columbia

It feels weird having a day with nothing to do.  Unlike yesterday, which was spent in transit, and tomorrow, which will be the main activity of the trip, today is a completely dead day.  There are no sites in town I want to see, and I will be going to sleep tonight in the same hotel room where I woke up.  There are a couple of restaurants where I want to eat, but I would hardly call those activities, nor would I call the walk I plan to take around town after this entry an activity.  Why, then, did I plan the trip this way, in such contrast to my usual five-sites-a-day intense travel?

It’s just the way the timing worked out.  Leaving JFK after work on Friday gets me to Queen Charlotte late Saturday afternoon.  The boat tour is an all-day thing, and they don’t run tours on Sunday under most circumstances.  The organizer told me, though, that I should leave Sunday open, anyway, in case they wanted to push up the tour due to weather.  The weather looks fine for Monday, so Sunday is completely open.

Could I have done something else in British Columbia?  Well, no, since Ninstints will allow me to say, “Western Canada Complete.”  I could have spent the day in Vancouver, but I don’t think that that provides any value above spending the day here in Queen Charlotte.  Besides, I was able to meet James yesterday, and that put me at ease, seeing that everything was ready to go for tomorrow.

I have spent days like this before in Iqaluit and Yellowknife and various Caribbean capitals, but those are all capitals, and capitals have built-in activities, including the legislative assembly building and souvenir opportunities.  Sure, I will get souvenirs here, too, but I will easily find them on my walk around town.  Other than that, this is literally a day with nothing to do, but, like Yellowknife, it sure is a great place to do nothing at all, as this establishing shot proves.

After I closed last night, I published and soon passed out, it still being daylight outside.  By the time I woke up, the sun had long risen.  I didn’t get out of bed until 10:30 AM, at which point I went next door for breakfast.  The menu was limited, so I chose the first thing on the menu, which was everything I wanted, anyway.  I needed coffee most of all, so that came first, and the meal was bacon, sausage, ham, toast, eggs, and hash browns, so that was a nice feast.  After breakfast, and three large cups of coffee, I went back to my room relaxed a bit, and then went out to the balcony, where I lit up a Diamond Crown and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can walk around a bit.



Just because today was a day with nothing to do doesn’t mean that nothing happened today.  Well, almost nothing happened.  The biggest something happened immediately after I closed.  I went back inside to head out, or, rather, I tried to go back into the room.  The balcony door was somehow locked.  That shouldn’t have been possible.  The door only locks from the inside, and there is no way to accidentally lock yourself out.  It would be a serious design flaw if there was.  Somehow, the lock caught, and I couldn’t get back in.  Okay, no problem, I’ll call downstairs (I had the number memorized, since I had earlier noticed it was almost the same as their Wi-Fi code), and they’ll come through the room and let me in.  Simple enough, right?

Well, there was one hitch.  I had locked the chain.  That meant that they couldn’t unlock the door from the outside.  Here was my plan, I would climb over to the next balcony, and they could let me out through that room.  I had faith in my ability to make that climb, but, well, I still wouldn’t be able to get back into my room if they I did that.  They needed to somehow either unlock the balcony door or unlock the chain, both of which are only meant to be locked and unlocked from inside the room.  This was a problem.  I looked up online how to undo a chain lock from the outside, and it is simple enough.  I had faith in my ability to pull it off, but I did not think I could properly explain it to the staff, who did not seem to speak English as a first language.  They said to wait ten minutes.  They were going to take care of it.

Next thing I knew, a screwdriver was poking through the door.  It seemed they were trying to use the screwdriver to undo the chain.  That would did not work.  They had to use the screwdriver to either pry off the part attached to the door frame or otherwise dismantle it.  I was rescued.  They apologized profusely and told me they would not be able to replace the chain until tomorrow.  I didn’t care.  I was just happy to be rescued.  I suppose blunt force applied to the door would have accomplished the trick without the use of the screwdriver, but that was their decision to make.

I then headed out.  When I said there was nothing to do today, I meant it.  All the souvenir shops were closed, due to it being Sunday, even though this doesn’t exactly strike me as a Christian town.  I haven’t seen a single church, not even a cross anywhere.  All the restaurants were opened though, and I knew I would have time enough for souvenirs on Tuesday before I left.  I walked around, enjoying my cigar, loving the scenic vistas and checked out the restaurants to plan my eating for the rest of my time here.  I found a particularly scenic vista in front of the docks.  I was then starting to get hungry, so I headed back to my hotel to heat up my leftovers.  As I walked, I noted that I hadn’t seen a single police officer my whole time here, and then I saw a new hospital that was under construction.  It looked like a large hospital for such a small town.

When I got back to my room, I had my fried rice and another beer, which was plenty filling.  I then went outside and lit up an Ardor with the rest of the beer, taking great care to leave the door slightly ajar, just in case.  After my pipe, I went back inside to relax and take a nap.  After my nap, it was time to head out to dinner.  I walked down the block to Ocean View Grill, also known as OV Pizza & Grill.  On the way, I saw three armed police officers conferring about something.  That seemed odd.

When I got to the restaurant, the menu was simple enough, and I just needed to decide between the steak and a burger.  I asked the waitress which she recommended, fearing the steak would not be good, since I didn’t think there were any cows on the island.  She said that they were both good, and it just depended on the mood.  That was such a bullshit answer.  (Strike one.)  I went with the steak, as it came with mushrooms and onions and sounded perfect.  I also got a mushroom soup appetizer.  All I had to drink was water, as it seems the entire village is sold out of club soda.  Someone then commented on there being an unusual amount of police activity this evening, and the host said that they had to be up to something, as they had been out and about all day.  My reader will recall that I had earlier reflected on the fact that I hadn’t seen a single police officer.  The mushroom soup was good, and it used up my napkin.

When the waitress brought my steak, she asked if I needed anything else, so I asked for another napkin.  The steak was mediocre, and I much rather would have had a mediocre burger than a mediocre steak.  A few minutes later she came by and asked if everything was all right.  Before I had a chance to answer, she realized she hadn’t brought my napkin.  (Strike two.)  As I ate, I finished my water, and she never got around to refilling it, even as I resorted to chewing on the ice cubes.  (Strike three.)

I got my check, and I didn’t stiff her on the tip, but I didn’t leave much more than 10%.  What was with the bad service I have been getting the past few nights at dinner?  Is this like becoming a thing?  After dinner, I walked back to my hotel, changed into my nightclothes, cracked open a beer, and sat down in my usual spot on the balcony, where I lit up a Montecristo Open Eagle and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep before my big day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment