Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Taos: Take Three - Day 0 - "Short Cuts Make Long Delays"

“Taos: Take Three”


5/19/17, “Short Cuts Make Long Delays”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

This is the fifth time I have done this.  Flight B6 65 to ABQ is matched only by Flight AM 401 to MEX in the number of times I have departed on that flight.  Five times over slightly more than two years.  Hopefully it will be the last.  Of those five trips, one of them had nothing to do with visiting Taos Pueblo.  The first, I had planned with visiting Taos in mind, but it happened to be seasonally closed when I had planned the trip, and I didn’t realize until it was too late.  Later that year, two years ago this weekend, in fact, I flew to ABQ with my friend Connor, where he would spending the summer with his family, and we did go to Taos, but the Plaque was not up, and they stamp was broken.  I knew I would need to return.  We did return, at the beginning of this year, and, it was closed for an unannounced festival the day we went.  Now, as my five-year mission comes to an end, I am hoping that the third time’s the charm and that I can finally get that stamp at Taos.  This is take three.

Traditionally, I would write a little exposition on the title of the entry at this point, but it will actually be more profitable to discuss it later in the entry.  It is also my tradition to begin these entries with Night -1, since I went out for another epic feast with the K-Man.  We went to a Brazilian steakhouse, Fogo de Chao, and we were determined to eat as much meat as we could and leave nothing on our plate uneaten.  The movie was secondary, if we even went (spoiler alert: we didn’t).  The meat kept coming and coming, and we had a bottle of Brazilian wine to go with it, and then the meat sweats started, and it was epic.

Once we were full, we told them to stop bringing any more meat, but we still had to finish the meat on our plates.  We were seriously struggling.  Then I saw lamb chops, and I couldn’t pass on that.  We did it.  We finished every last bite of meat on our plates and the bottle of wine.  We were both ready to die.  There would be no movie.  We just wanted, nay, needed cigars.  I had some spicy maduro cigars, and they fit the bill.  We walked down Fifth Avenue, and we just needed to keep walking, less the lethargy overtake us.  It was one of our most epic feasts yet.  After we said our goodbyes, I went home to play Zelda.  I had beaten the game a week ago, so I was now just looking for shrines and performing other quests.  For that reason, I did not bring my unit with me for this trip.

I felt dead when I woke up in the morning, and I felt dead all day.  I got to the office, and I was still drained from last night.  Further, I hadn’t booked my rental car or car to the airport, and Hertz was sold out.  I also couldn’t get a standard car from either of the car services I usually use.  That stressed me out and further contributed to my mood.  I got a car from Enterprise, which turned out to be very cheap.  Eventually, at around 1:30 PM, without having had breakfast, my appetite started to return.  I went to Hop Won for a light pre-departure lunch and then went back to my apartment, as I had forgotten to pack Cubans.  When I got back to the office, I had trouble breathing.

A few minutes before 5 PM, I left the office, and immediately got a taxi.  As soon as I got in the taxi, my breathing became less labored, and my stress dissipated until I realized how long it would take for us to get to the airport, well over an hour.  I looked at Google Maps, and told him to take what they said was the fastest route.  He was annoyed, since he thought he knew a short cut.  “Short cuts make long delays,” I thought, recalling the pithy words from “Lord of the Rings.”  I wanted to go with the route I trusted.  No short cuts, no delays.

It is so true that short cuts make long delays, both in travel, and in life.  We are all familiar with the delays that we have experienced when trying to a take a short cut to a destination, but what about short cuts in life?  Truly, there are no short cuts in life, only long delays.  We may think we have found a short cut, but, all-too-often, it will lead to a longer delay later in life.  Sure, there are more efficient ways of performing tasks, but the knowledge required to determine those efficient ways, there are no short cuts.

Figuring out those efficiencies is a direct result of man’s capacity to think.  That is how wealth is created, by figuring out more efficient ways of undertaking existing processes.  I do not just mean rewriting a computer script or process, but I mean figuring out how to use an electric lightbulb to replace a kerosene lamp or how to use wires to transmit a message faster than an envelope can travel on horseback.  Those are the type of efficiencies that create wealth, but there are no short cuts to success, only long delays.

We suffered the shorter delay, and I was at the airport an hour-and-a-half before my flight, plenty of time.  I had my TSA PreCheck, so I breezed through security, and I picked up very Italian-themed dinner (sandwich, chips, and sparkling water) at a shop as I walked to my gate.  I sat down at the gate, where I scarfed down my dinner and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will soon be boarding.


Albuquerque, New Mexico


Short cuts make long delays, but bad weather makes even longer delays.  Our flight was delayed an hour leaving the airport, and that hour was spent taxiing, which meant I couldn’t use my computer.  That was the annoying.  We got on board almost right away, but first there was a delay in catering the plane, then they shutdown departures due to the weather, and we also learned that we would have to take a circuitous route to avoid bad weather over Texas.  I sat in my assigned seat, next to a couple, who suggested I move to one of the other rows that had more empty seats so that we could both be more comfortable, an offer I gladly accepted.

I listened to Fox News until we took off, an hour later.  Once we took off, I got started on my school work.  I first had to perform my peer review on two of my classmates’ essays, which I did as sharply as I could manage, and then I had to revise my essay to incorporate their comments, and those of the professor.  That whole process took about two hour, and I enjoyed the snacks served, before I passed out and got three hours of sleep.

When we landed, it was after midnight, and I was concerned because Enterprise closed at midnight.  I called, but no one picked up, so I made a reservation at Budget, though I figured Enterprise would stay open late for the delayed flight.  I stepped into the familiar airport, landing there for the fifth time now, and headed to the rental car shuttle.  Fortunately, Enterprise was, in fact, still open, so I cancelled my reservation with Budget.

I got GPS and SiriusXM, so they upgraded me to a premium car, which had it built.  That was that, and I was on my way to the Con Man’s house.  I lit up a Carrillo, and I was soon there.  We greeted each other, and then I got situated upstairs before heading back down, where I sat down, resumed my cigar, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, so that I can publish and get a few more hours of sleep before getting on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment