Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Taos: Take Three - Day 2 - Finishing Up


5/22/17, “Finishing Up”

Albuquerque International Sunport, New Mexico (ABQ)

I suppose it could be said that this day was spent almost entirely to take that one picture.  It’s not even a particularly good picture or of tremendous cultural or historic significance.  However, it was a necessary picture to take, and it it was in an out-of-the-way location that could really only be visited in this manner.  It is one of the 15 units of the National Park Service located in New Mexico, and it was the last one for me to visit, due to the remote nature of its location (two hours from the highway, which also meant two hours from the nearest gas station).  However, I have now seen it, along with the other 14 National Park Sites in New Mexico and the State Capitol in Santa Fe.  That means, I was able to say, “New Mexico Complete.”

It feels weird that I am now finishing up my five-year mission, I have completed 8 of my 17 Goals, and I am 83% of the way towards the other 9.  Every trip I will take this summer will slowly get me closer to that goal, until I finally complete my mission at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii.  When I set out to the see world, I did not expect the five-year mission to become this comprehensive, but it has, and it now in the home stretch.  I am just finishing up now, and it feels odd.

After I closed last night, I almost fell asleep while I was publishing.  I slept later than I wanted to, waking up at 9:45 AM, 8:15 AM having been a little too early to get up.  I rushed to get ready, as I had a long day ahead.  I stopped at the same McDonald’s from yesterday, getting the same breakfast, and was very careful to keep hold of my McGriddle as I made that same turn.  I was safely on the highway, and it was 10 AM.  My destination for the day was Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.   Google Maps said that the drive was close to five hours, but it was only 250 miles.  Something seemed off.  It was 150 miles on the Interstate, which would take two hours, and then 100 miles on the side road, which they said would take almost three hours.  That couldn’t be.  Was the speed limit really less than 40 MPH for that whole 100 miles?  That would be torture.

I was on a bit of a tight schedule for getting back to the airport, since we wanted to go to El Pinto for dinner, but I had no risk of missing my stamp.  Worst case scenario, I could get dinner at a Dairy Queen and forget El Pinto.  With a few brief stops, including gas, since there would be no gas for quite a distance around the site, I turned off the highway onto the side road around 12:30 PM, smoking an Oliva followed by an Illusione.  If my reader does some basic math, he or she will realize that the earliest I could conceivable be back at that spot was 4 PM, and likely much later.  I had had a big breakfast, and 4 PM (or later) would be way too late for lunch.  I was aware that this would become an issue, but I set it aside.

It turned out that the next 100 miles were steep and winding mountain roads.  It was supposed to take close to three hours, but I did it in slightly over two hours, smoking a Graycliff when I was done with my Illusione.  I arrived at the VC slightly before 3 PM.  They told me I needed an hour to walk the trail.  That was out of the question.  I asked the shortest I could walk to see one cliff dwelling.  A quarter mile.  That was good.  I took care of my business at the VC and also got a large cookie and bag of chocolate-covered pretzels, which would serve as lunch.

I then headed to the trail head, lit up a Vegas Robaina Canada Exclusivo, and walked the quarter mile.  I saw the cave, took my ceremonial picture, and announced, “New Mexico Complete.”  That was it.  Seriously.  Nine hours of driving just to take that one picture.  It was not fun, it was not a good picture, but it was necessary.  It was the last piece of the puzzle to say, “New Mexico Complete.”  Four years ago, I did not know Connor, but I had a friend who lived in Arizona.  I went to stay with him for a similar weekend trip in Arizona, with the idea of making the trip annually and saying, “Arizona Complete.”  Well, I fell out of touch with that friend and met Connor, instead, trading my annual trip to Arizona for New Mexico.  I have now said, “New Mexico Complete.”  All that remains to recount is The Return Journey, which I will pair with the reflections, as is my tradition, from the gate.


And so my fifth trip to New Mexico comes an end, and it ends in the same spot it always ends.  I have many memories of this spot, and this view is as familiar as any view save the one from my spot at Benito Juarez (MEX).  I have very much enjoyed these trips to New Mexico, the successes and the failures, and I am very proud to be able to say, “New Mexico Complete.”  It took me five trips to do it.  I still have not said “Arizona Complete” or “Texas Complete,” both of which I would have been able to say if the government had not shut down in October 2013.  Colorado and Utah might have also been on that trip, but I don’t think so.  That would have been too ambitious.

These trips have all been more the same than different, but there have been differences, both with the destinations and travelling partners.  Other than the first one, which ventured into Texas, they have all been entirely contained inside the state of New Mexico and they have all ended with dinner at El Pinto, also excluding the first trip.  I have never eaten at El Pinto alone.  The first time at El Pinto was with Connor, the next time with Uncle Frankie and Pete and Alyssa, the time after with Connor and Pete and Alyssa, and this time with Connor and Pete.  Raymond find’s it amusing that I travel all around the world, and wind up frequently hanging out with his college friend and brother in New Mexico.  I suppose I should wrap this up.

After I took my ceremonial picture, I made my way back, retracing my path almost exactly.  I lit up a special edition OpusX, which brought me to 6 PM, and I made a dinner reservation for 8:30 PM.  Connor and Pete would be joining me.  I got to Connor’s place at 8 PM, cleaned out the car, packed and changed.  We were on the road around 8:20 PM, but we had to pick up Pete.  That would set things back.

We got to El Pinto at 8:45 PM.  I actually didn’t have much of an appetite, and we were now tight on time, especially since I was supposed to drop off Connor and Pete at their places before heading to the airport.  We ordered a platter of their nachos, my favorite, with chicken to share, and I got a half-rack of red chili ribs, their specialty, which I told them to bring out with the nachos.  I also got a margarita.  The food came out quickly, and it was as good as it always was.  We scarfed it down and headed to the car.

They had lost faith in my ability to drive, not because I was acting drunk, but more a combination of the accident I had yesterday morning and the margarita, along with a bizarre mistake I had made due an unusual road configuration on the way to the restaurant, so Pete said he would drive us back to his place and then drive Connor to his place so that I could go to the airport.  We did that, I gassed up, and I was at Enterprise at 10 PM.  I got to the smoking area at 10:30 PM, where I sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write the above entry.  I went through security, and headed to the familiar gate, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: SGang Gwaay, also known as Ninstints, off the coast of British Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment