Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 6, 2017

OK, Texas - Day 0 - Delayed

“OK, Texas”


5/5/17, “Delayed”
LaGuardia Airport, New York (LGA)

This is how I am spending Cinco de Mayo, delayed in an airport.  It is not a small delay.  It is a big one.  I do not expect to make it to DFW tonight, which would mean I miss out on stopping at Waco tomorrow.  If that is all I lose from this delay, I will consider it lucky.  As it stands now, I should still be able to make it to the National Memorial in Oklahoma City before it closes, and that was the main purpose of the trip.

That said, I am considering other options.  I am now connecting in ATL, but I do not expect to make that connection.  I can try to fly standby on an earlier flight to ATL.  I am considering a direct flight to an airport in Northwest Arkansas, which is rather close to Oklahoma, but that would still mean forfeiting the visit to Waco, and that flight may actually wind up getting cancelled anyway, along with the exorbitant price I would have to pay for the one-way car rental from XNA to DFW.  ATL is a nice airport, and it has a smoking lounge.  Spending the night there is not the worst thing in the world, just a little annoying.  Whatever the next dateline is will explain what occurred, as I will write another entry tonight no matter what.  This is usually the space, though, where I would write some deep philosophical or political prologue to the trip, but I am not in the mood at all.

Last night I resumed my movie and pizza Thursdays with the K-Man, and we went to our favorite spot, California Pizza Kitchen.  I had eaten too much during the day, so I didn’t have my usual appetite, and neither did he.  We each just got a pizza, which was plenty.  We had no appetite for snacks at the theatre, but I did get my soda.  We saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, which was amazing, one of the best Marvel movies of all time, easily top five.  We then said our goodbyes, and I headed home to pack and play Zelda before I went to bed.

It was pouring out all day, and I had a bagel with lox and cream cheese for breakfast.  I got soaked when I went to Hop Won to get my usual pre-departure lunch.  I then went back to the office and began work on a project I had been delaying for far too long.  Around 2:30 PM, I got a notice that my flight was cancelled and that I was being rebooked for the morning on a flight that would not get me to DFW until midday.  No, that wouldn’t do.  I realized that, if I left the office immediately, I could rebook on an LGA-ATL-DFW flight path, so I left and caught a taxi to LGA.

This would still get me to DFW tonight.  Well, the LGA-ATL flight kept getting pushed back.  There was an earlier LGA-DFW flight, but it was already overbooked.  I kept having to go to different agents, who were not always a short walk apart, to explore different options.  Nothing was looking good.  Then the LGA-ATL flight got delayed an hour too much, and it was no longer possible to make my connection.  I again considered different options, including the flight to Northwest Arkansas, but staying on the flight with the overnight layover in ATL seemed the best option.  Once I finally gave up on getting west of the Mississippi tonight, I went to my gate, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can see if there had been updates and then play Zelda.


Waco, Texas


That was certainly not the dateline I expected to be writing tonight, not at all, but is there a more infamous city in the country?  Waco is known, not because it is a center of population of industry, but because of the tragic siege that occurred here 24 years ago.  Tomorrow, in addition to visiting the Mount Carmel Center, I will also be visiting the site of another tragedy from that time period, in Oklahoma City.  It is late (almost 5 AM New York time, 4 AM local time), but I made it, and that’s what matters.  I will be as brief as I can so that I can get some semblance of a night’s sleep before I begin my day tomorrow.

After I closed at LGA, I went to an agent and asked to be put on standby for an earlier flight to ATL.  He said I would be, I think, 15th.  I didn’t like my chances, but I went to that gate and started playing Zelda, making some good progress.  They called a few names for standby, but I was only half paying attention.  Then I heard it, “Margolin, Steven.”  Wait, what?  I literally jumped out of my seat, tearing my cell phone charger out of the outlet as I got up, and went to the counter.  Yes, they had a seat for me.  However, this flight was still cutting it close.  It would be on the ground at ATL shortly before 10 PM, and the flight to DFW was at 10:28 PM.  It was not in the same concourse.  I didn’t like my chances.

I played Zelda and then checked the status when we were airborne.  Lo and behold! the ATL-DFW flight was delayed until 11:30 PM.  Happy happy joy joy!  I would have time for a quick dinner and a quick cigar at the smoking lounge before my flight.  I made more good progress on Zelda during the flight, but I didn’t get quite as far as I had hoped to get for the day, so I planned to play some more on the ATL-DFW flight.

We landed, and I stopped at Atlanta Bread Company (called Panera Bread Company outside of the Southeast) to pick up a chicken sandwich, which I took to the smoking lounge by my gate.  It is always an interesting class of characters you always find inside an airport smoking lounge.  I lit up a Graycliff and ate my dinner in the smoking lounge.  For 20 brief minutes, I was happy.  Nothing else mattered, I was truly in heaven, eating and smoking and knowing that I would actually get to Texas tonight, no matter how late it was.  I had thought Waco was only 45 minutes from DFW.  It was actually twice that.  I would not get to my hotel before 3 AM local time.

I had to cut my cigar short to get to the gate, but, when I got there, I learned that the flight was being further delayed.  It seemed that the reason was, the flight crew for the flight was, get this, the same flight crew from the LGA-ATL flight I had been originally planning on taking.  In other words, I would have been fine on that flight, since they couldn’t board until the flight crew arrived anyway.  I didn’t care about the delay, though I was annoyed I didn’t finish my cigar.  I also knew I would need to nap on the flight, instead of playing more Zelda.  It was a completely full flight, and there was a long standby list, yet, somehow, the middle seat next to me wound up being empty.  I didn’t ask questions, and I was able to get a full REM cycle en route.

We landed, and I headed to the rental car area, where I got my car.  I lit up a Montecristo Open Eagle, and it was an easy drive to the hotel, which was right off the highway.  After about an hour and a half, I saw the familiar neon hexagon of Hampton Inn.  I still had some cigar left, and I had gotten a smoking room, so I would be able to finish the cigar during my entry.  There was a bit of an issue at check-in, since they wipe the unclaimed reservations at 2 AM, but they fixed it no problem.  I went to my room, where I sat down by the window, relit my cigar, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get some sleep before my day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment