Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Buckeyes and Bourbon - Day 0 - The Old and the New

“Buckeyes and Bourbon”

7/24/15, “The Old and the New”
En route, I-78 W, New Jersey (Garden State Parkway)

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my routines, how much I fear the unknown, how, for all of my adventures, I am so afraid to leave my comfort zone.  Now, there is some sense of irony to the fact that someone such as I is feeling what I’m feeling now.  For the past few weeks, ever since I got back from my last trip (maybe even since I left for the trip or earlier), I have felt a general sense of apathy towards all the things in my life that used to give me pleasure.

This is not the life has no meaning speech.  In fact, it’s quite the opposite.  The irony here is that, while I am feeling so apathetic to the old pleasures of my life, I am even more actively seeking out new pleasures and new experiences.  Having lost interest in the old things in my life, I have found it so much easier to shirk my fear of the unknown and do things that used to make me feel uncomfortable.  I will explore this topic in a companion piece in my personal journal, but I have made it a point in my Day 0 entries to explore the current state of my life to give better insight into the mindset with which I embark on these trips.

My previous trip, the last great summer road trip adventure, was a great one, but we learned a key piece of information on the trip.  San Antonio got a new World Heritage Site, which means it would not have a Plaque for quite some time.  Once we locate the Plaque, my mother and I may very well take that trip together.  The irony here was that my friend, the friend who is currently driving, and I were going to go to San Antonio together in August.  The new WHS designation made it no longer a good option for me to join him, though he will still be doing the trip alone.  We take a trip together every summer.  2012, it was Missouri, 2013 Minnesota, 2014 Washington and British Columbia, now, 2015, it’s Ohio and Kentucky.

Cincinnati is the closest major city I have not visited, and it will allow me a new capitol, two new iconic restaurants, and four new NPS units.  To further add to the irony, two of those NPS units are nominated as WHS.  Next summer, one of them might get inscribed, and then, well, this trip would be in vain, but, who knows.  Also, joining us on this trip is one of my best friends, the guy I hang out with every night.  I would categorize that friendship as one of the new experiences, since it is less than six months old, while my older friends are starting to bore me.  It’s not that I don’t want to maintain those friendships anymore.  It’s just that I have become apathetic to the older things in my life, that the people I love, the bonds of friendship, while those bonds show no sign of weakening or dissolving, the friendships just do not provide the enjoyment value they used to.  It is for that reason mostly that I am finding it less difficult to engage in those new experiences.

A road trip like this is a very new experience for me.  It is three of us, two of us equal partners in the finances, so we negotiated the schedule together.  The third, the newer friend, he is glad to come along for the ride, and he was quite happy with the schedule we derived.  This was basically just a “let’s in the car and go trip.”  We started talking about Cincinnati two weeks ago, and we didn’t even start planning it until this week.  We didn’t have everything finalized until last night.  We don’t even have a formalized itinerary, just the order of stops, our dinner restaurants, and the hotel for tomorrow night.  That’s the other reason why this is a new trip for me.  There will be no hotel for Days 0 or Day 2.  We are driving overnight both of those nights.  We will be in Columbus tomorrow ere the sun rises, only driving and sleeping in shifts in the car, and we have a full day of activities booked in Ohio and Kentucky before we get to our hotel in Frankfort.  We will do the same thing on the way home, a full day around Cincinnati, driving home overnight on Sunday, again sleeping and driving in shifts, which should get us to work Monday morning well rested.

There is one other trip like this I want to take, and that is to the Carolinas.  It would be a similar trip, but it would have to be my agenda, not a mixed agenda, since I have two full days of NPS sites I would want to see.  I was supposed to do that last year, but it fell through.  In fact, I think I’ve been talking about it for two years, but I need to find someone who can split the overnight driving with me.  I was going to do it this year, but this trip happened instead.  I have no doubt this will be a great trip, and being in the company of good friends, one old and one new, will make it even more adventurous and enjoyable.  We are about to stop for gas and food, so I will close and treat the events of Day 0 in full once we get to Pennsylvania.


En route, I-78 W, Pennsylvania

I have been writing about the old and the new, and so much of this trip is old and familiar, my old travelling companion acting the way he always does, making the same demands on the trip he always does, wanting to make sure we don’t leave the state before we’ve tried every food item listed on the Wikipedia for the state’s food page, even if it means eating six meals a day, the constant barrage of meaningless questions, the constant nagging when I am trying to reflect, write, or just relax, that is all familiar.  The fact that we are doing it in a new state, under new circumstances, and with a new travelling partner, none of that makes it any less familiar, but it is a new experience, nonetheless, a mix of the old and the new.

Today was a very typical Day 0, so much of it familiar, the fact that I am a passenger in an overnight drive not much different than being a passenger in an overnight flight.  In fact, being in the car is much easier than being a passenger on an airplane.  The three of us have the car to ourselves, and we can set our own schedule, be as loud or as quite as we want, eat whatever we want, and we have plenty of room, too.  Okay, so how did my typical Day 0 play out?  Well, there was a mix of new, too.

We saw Paper Towns last night, a typical YA movie, the awkward teenager falls in love with the prettiest girl in the school.  Story of my life, right?  It was a great movie, and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes the YA genre.  We went back, and my friend went home.  Meanwhile, our other mutual friend called me to let me know he wanted to crash on my floor, which he is always welcome to do.  He was utterly and royally toasted, having drank with some coworkers.  I finished my cigar, and we went to sleep.  My plan was to get to the office an hour early to do some data entry I had put off for too long, and I knew I could be done with it in that hour if I got in early.  Well, I was woken up at 6 AM by his alarm, and it rang every fifteen minutes, which troubled me in getting back to sleep.  I needed to wake up around 7:30 AM to get in that hour early, but the alarms fucked that up, each time it rang being too early for me to wake up.  The alarms stopped.  When I next woke up, it was 8:15 AM, which meant I would be able to take my time getting ready and get to work at my normal time.  I was sure if I was productive all day, I could do the data entry and all my normal stuff.

I texted my friend about Paper Towns, and she responded that was excited to see it.  She is probably the only person I know who loves YA as much as I do.  The best YA movie I’ve ever seen was on her recommendation: “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.”  There is a quote from that movie, well, the book, that has kind of defined the past few years of my life.  “People accept the love they think they deserve.”  There is so much meaning to that quote.  People who have a low opinion of themselves will accept abusive relationships because that is the love they think they deserve.  They will accept people who do not love them fully because they do not believe they are lovable enough to deserve someone who loves them fully.  I do not feel that way, and I refuse to accept any love less than the love I deserve.  I tried otherwise, and I learned the hard way not to accept anything less.  Wow, that was quite a tangent.  Okay, so, her response to my text was what woke me up, as is often what wakes me up in the morning.

I got ready, having packed last night, showered, shaved (somehow missing the bottom of my chin), and got to work right on time at 9:07 AM.  I had no appetite for breakfast.  In fact, I had not had much of an appetite since lunch yesterday.  I had a big meal for lunch, and I had a cookie after work.  That was the only food I ate after lunch, not being hungry for dinner.  I was still not hungry for lunch, which I usually take at 11 AM.  I had a full agenda of things I needed to do during my lunch break, not even having time to stop at the cigar store, where I hadn’t been since lunch on Tuesday.  The aforementioned new experiences taking up my evenings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  People at the shop where even wondering where I had been, since they knew I was around in NY, not travelling.  They thought maybe they dad something to offend me.  Cue Alicia Silverstone, “As if!”

No, Tuesday night I played kickball.  Wednesday night drinks with my philosophy professor.  Thursday, birthday party for someone on the kickball team.  I had to go to each of those straight from work.  Wait, no, I did stop at the shop Tuesday night.  But, still, for me not to show up two nights in a row is quite unusual, so people started to wonder.  That is the old.  That is the familiar.  This was the new.  This was the unfamiliar.

Okay, so, my lunch break.  First, I had to stop at the post office.  I had neglected to mail my aforementioned friend her birthday present (a picture of the two of us with Amanda Seyfried from the night we first met, signed by Amanda, and a keytag with her name from Banff), so I took care of that at the post office, then I had to go to Men’s Warehouse to exchange the vest for my brother’s wedding for one size larger.  After that, I finally got my traditional pre-departure lunch at Hop Won, the old and the familiar.  I also had to stop at Duane Reade for my Nexium, which had run out.  That easily took the full hour.

I went back to the office, and I had a very productive day, finishing everything I needed to do.  I had picked up my dinner, too, at Hop Won, but I still had no appetite when it was time to leave work.  That was odd.  Well, it’ll still be good on Monday.  I went to the cigar shop, where my friend works now.  I got some snacks and a soda, but it wasn’t enough.  I needed protein, but the line at McDonald’s was too long, and I couldn’t find anything else I wanted.  I had my H. Upmann and bought a couple of cigars for the trip, including the new Davidoff Escurio, which I am very excited to try.

We headed downtown to meet my other friend, and we hit the road.  We had like three hours of Dutch built in, but the thing is we need to use that full 3 hours of Dutch time because I need daylight to take my picture at the Ohio State House, and the next site doesn’t open until 8:30 AM, which means we can’t leave there until 8:35 AM, and another site doesn’t open until 10 AM.  In other words, there is no way to push ahead the schedule by making good time.  Best case scenario, we get to Columbus early, and we sit in the car until dawn.  That appears to be what will happen.

Once we got on the Garden State Parkway, I proceeded to write the above entry.  We stopped for gas before we left New Jersey, and my friend and I were excited about recreating a scene from last night’s movie, where the kids are on a road trip and rush to get everything done they need to do at a gas station in six minutes.  We were not on such a tight schedule, but that didn’t stop us from running into the shop and reenacting the lines from the movie.  We then went to dinner, which turned out to be a very famous diner, known for having the world’s smallest and largest (256 pounds, yes, 256 pounds) burgers.  I got a regular sized burger with Philly cheesesteak toppings.  The meal was perfectly decent, despite my travelling companions’ complaints about the poor service and bland food.  We are actually now fighting about the tip, since he gave 15%.  I’m annoyed that he didn’t give 20%, since the bill was small, and it was three of us.  He wanted to give 12% because they didn’t refill his water without him asking for the refill.

I changed into my pajamas after dinner, and we got back on the road.  As soon as we entered Pennsylvania, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and sleep until we get to Columbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment