Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, July 6, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 4 - The Wild West

7/6/15, “The Wild West”

Saint Mary, Montana


Reader, if you want to experience the Wild West, and I mean truly experience it, there is no better place than Montana and there is no better time than summer.  That was what we learned today as we made our way from Helena to Glacier National Park.  I have literally been all around the world, and it takes a lot to wow me.  Today, Montana wowed me, just as North Dakota did when I visited last summer.  The picture you see next to these words?  That’s just a small taste, just the view from outside our cabin.  Every place we visited wowed me in a good way.  Like most guys, I love Western movies and anything to do with cowboys.  How many of those took place in Montana?  I’m sure a lot of them did.  While that way of life has mostly been lost to history, it is still preserved, as best as it can be, here in Montana.

After I finished my Jericho Hill last night, I crashed almost immediately.  I woke up early this morning to deal with IT issues on my computer so that I could work remotely the rest of the trip, the resolution to which was far simpler than I had expected.  After that was resolved, I got straight to work, even working through breakfast, which consisted of a perfectly good plate of bacon, eggs, and hash browns.  This was Montana, of course they can do that up right.  We are in the American heartland.

After I got caught up on work, we hit the road and went straight to the Capitol building.  There was a sticker on the sidewalk that said, “SELFIE SPOT” with two footprints facing away from the building.  I took my Official selfie there, and we noticed that there were a lot of cars in the Official parking lot.  Hmm, I realized that it was a Monday.  That meant they might be in session.  They weren’t.  It was just staffers, but we were able to walk around inside and learn a little about the history of the Montana governorship.  The Capitol building was extremely impressive, worthy of the third largest state in the country, and it put its counterparts in Juneau and Austin to shame.  My mother was shocked that there was no security there, but I said I wasn’t surprised.  For neither the first time nor the last time this trip, I offered as explanation, “It’s Montana.”

We went next door to the gift shop, where I got a flag pin, and we then made our way to Grant-Kohrs Ranch NHS.  We had no idea where or what it was.  Once we got there, we were both so pleasantly surprised with the experience.  It is an active cattle ranch owned and operated by the government, and it looks just like it must have a hundred years ago.  The Objectivist in me would have objected to the government owning and operating a cattle ranch, if the site wasn’t so damn charming.  I lit up an Aroma de Cuba, and we headed to the ranch, where we got “cowboy coffee.”  I had a vision of the scene from one of my favorite movies of all time, “Dances with Wolves,” in which Kevin Costner plays a soldier separated from his unit in the Wild West.  There is a scene where he makes coffee, just like that, with the Native Americans.  I loved that scene.

We then headed to Glacier National Park, our last stop for the trip.  We stopped for lunch along the way, and I got my lunch at the gas station, which was quite decent, pizza, bread sticks, and a milkshake.  I ate it while my mother got her food at the grocery store.  I took the wheel for the first time since arrived in Jackson what now feels a lifetime ago, and we continued north.  The driving was fine, except for my mother’s fretting about me being too close to cars or being about to hit a deer over a hundred feet away.  However, that was only a minor nuisance compared to the construction-induced traffic jam we hit that delayed us by half an hour.  I just cared about one thing, getting the stamp at Two Medicine VC before they closed at 5 PM.

We made it to the park entrance with plenty of time to spare, and I took my ceremonial picture at the entrance sign.  This was it.  When I got back to car, I announced with a pang of regret that this was probably going to be our last World Heritage Site together, unless we did an international trip together. We enumerated each and every WHS we visited together, 8 in the US, 14 abroad.  I have three more for myself for this trip, but she will not be joining me in Canada.  We got our brochure at the entrance and headed to the Ranger Station.  I got my stamp, we got the list of stamps for the park, which included a few that involve strenuous and lengthy hikes to chalets in the wilderness.  Needless to say, we will not be getting every stamp, but we got the stamp there and found out where the Plaque was.

We then found a place where we could take a nice walk through the woods and along the lake.  All throughout the drive today, I kept saying that Glacier would be even more amazing than Yellowstone.  When we saw the breathtaking views from the lake, we agreed that I was right.  It takes a lot to wow me.  Today, in the Wild West, this has wowed me.  A year ago this time, I was writing about how much I loved the North.  It is possible that I love the Wild West even more.


Somehow I forgot to properly close out this entry.  Well, okay, so after our walk, we headed to hotel, and we went to our cabin, which was so charming and rustic.  The cabin had even more breathtaking views, so I poured myself a drink, relit the Four Kicks I had been smoking on the trail, and proceeded to write the first half of this entry.  We then went back to the lodge, the only place I could get Wi-Fi.  I went to publish and realized that my entry had stopped short, so I proceeded to finish this entry, which I will close so that I can finish publishing, and we can head out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment