Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 4, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 2 - Here We Are

7/4/15, “Here We Are”

Mammoth Hot Springs, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park)

There was is an apocryphal story about this day in history, 239 years ago, that King George wrote in his journal, “Nothing of significance happened today.”  First of all, news took weeks or months to cross the Atlantic, so there was no way he would have known about that famous document that begins, “In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776,” and he actually did not even keep a journal.  Today, news travels around the world in seconds, and I keep plenty of journals.  This one, the one that I share with the public, the one that details my travel adventures has plenty to say about today.

After I closed last night, I went back in my cabin and, I don’t quite recall how it happened, but, my computer slid off the bed, damaging it badly.  A piece was cracked, and I was worried it would stop working at any moment.  It has held up so far.  My stress continuing, I went back to sleep, hoping everything would be better in the morning.  It was.  I had a great breakfast, consisting of coffee, Montana grain pancakes, bacon, and eggs, all delicious.  We went the Old Faithful VC where I got my brochure and did my WHS stamping.  We were soon on the road.

We set out to collect six Stamps and the Plaque today, but the trip is about more than Stamps and Plaques.  It was about enjoying the natural beauty of the region.  We did it all.  Our first stop was the VC at Madison, where there was a charming little basin of water and a mountain called National Park Mountain.  Apocryphally again, this was the spot where the National Park was invented.  For my first cigar of the day, I chose an ESG, and we walked around a bit.  We then got in the car and headed towards the West Entrance.

There was lots of traffic going the opposite direction, and there was a long line at the entrance station.  The stamp was outside the park.  One thing led to another, and we decided we’d get lunch in town in West Yellowstone, Montana, where we’d get the stamp, and, by then, the traffic would die down.  West Yellowstone was everything we hoped Jackson would be, and we had lunch at a charming cowboy restaurant.  I got the bison steak, which was quite decent.  We then headed back into the park, and we had gambled right.

The traffic was gone, and we went to Norris Geyser Basin, which had a stamp and some scenic walks, where we could literally feel and smell the sulfur from the geysers.  I chose a Headley Grange for the walk, until a ranger told me that I couldn’t smoke it in the geyser area.  We went back to the car, and I finished it en route, sticking my head out the window to smoke.  There was another nearby stamp at the Museum of the National Park Ranger, which was a charming old backcountry ranger cabin.  Our next and final stop would be Mammoth Hot Springs, the main village inside the park.  I have been rather light on details, both due to time constraints and because words cannot really describe the idyllic beauty of these drives and walks.  Pictures can come closer, but they fail, too.


We made our way to the Albright VC, where the Plaque was alleged to be.  I had figured it would be outside.  No dice.  I went inside and still couldn’t find.  I started to panic.  I implored my mother to find me the Plaque, as she had so many times before.  She asked at the desk, and they said it was downstairs.  We went to the bookstore, bought some gifts, got my stamp, and then headed downstairs.  We were both appalled with the lack of respect they showed the Plaque, squirreling it away next the restrooms.  With some difficulty, we managed to get a few good pictures, but the disappointment of this charming village soon grew.  We went for ice cream, underwhelming.  The general store had some souvenirs, but it, too, was disappointing.  We gassed up, and I calculated that the tank was simply registering an extra 4 gallons of gas, which meant we could only ever fill it up to three quarters of a tank.

Since I couldn’t smoke at the hot springs, we took a walk along Beaver Ponds Trail, which afforded nice views of the hot springs.  That was where I smoked my Cuban for the National Park, an Hoyo de Monterrey.  After we were done walking, we headed back, and my mother went into town, while I went across the street to find a bench with a nice view, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can begin to make our way back to the hotel.


Old Faithful, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park)


I have frequently written in my personal journals about pure happiness and pure good, about how rare it is for me to feel pure happiness for any extended period of time, about how there are so few relationships (by which I mean any type of relationship, romantic or otherwise) in my life that a pure good, that most relationships have a mix of good feelings and bad feelings, that I choose the relationships that provide more good than bad.

Along those lines, one of my happiest travel memories was during the greatest of our summer road trip adventures.  It was at the Grand Canyon 14 years ago (not 16 years as I had thought).  I woke up first thing in the morning, remembered where we were, and just ran outside to see the Canyon, which was visible from just outside our cabin.  I was so happy to be there, and it was a pure happiness, no nagging doubts in the back of my mind about work or girls or money, just a wide-eyed 13-year-old excited to be at the Grand Canyon.

I suppose I had a similar experience with Old Faithful this morning, though it was not pure happiness, but it was still happiness.  The geyser is visible about a minute from our cabin, but we did not see it erupt until this morning, after breakfast, only catching the tail end of it.  We again only caught the tail end of it this evening.  It is called Old Faithful for a reason, and I’m sure we’ll see the full eruption at some point.  A year ago tonight, I was at Juneau with Sokol, enjoying an Opus X outside Juneau, having a conversation that would wind up shaping the next six months of my life and the three months afterwards during which I dealt with the fallout of those three months.

Tonight, I sit here alone in Yellowstone National Park, enjoying a Davidoff, and I am finally happily alone, both physically right now and in general.  “To say ‘I love you,’ one first must know how to say the ‘I.’”  I have never had trouble saying the “I.”  With this Independence Day, I will focus on the “I,” on loving myself and the few people in my life who truly add value to my life.  You know who are, there are only ten of you in the world.  If you are not one of those ten people, do not think that even ties of blood will make a difference.

Okay, so after I closed, we headed to Fort Yellowstone, which used to serve I guess as the civil headquarters of the Park, and I finished my cigar there.  We then headed back to our hotel, and Old Faithful was about to erupt when we got there.  The time it took us to drop off our bags and grab our drinks caused us to miss the beginning of the eruption.  I lit up a Davidoff and headed to the Snow Lodge, where I could get Wi-Fi, had the rest of my cigar and drink, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment