Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 5 - The Hunt for the Plaque



7/7/15, “The Hunt for the Plaque”

Kalispell, Montana


“Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing!”  While Boromir was lamenting about a small gold ring that the Fellowship spent 13 months trying to destroy, the same could be said about the 3-foot by 2-foot bronze Plaque my mother and I, along with a significant portion of the Glacier National Park NPS staff, four hours attempting to locate.  This was not the first time we have done this together.  Unfortunately, it will be the last time.  Here, on our last great summer road trip adventure, on our last day together, it was all about the hunt for the plaque.

When we spoke to my father two nights ago, we were sad to admit that we hadn’t had any great meals yet on the trip.  After I closed last night, we headed out to dinner, which turned out to be the best meal of our trip.  A little dive that had rave reviews and soup only referred to as “good soup.”  The soup was very good, maybe even the best of the meal, though the orgasmic buffalo steak and scrumptious huckleberry milkshake certainly gave it a run for its money.  They were sold out of fish, so mother had to have the pork chop, though she allowed that the soup and bread and sides was enough of a meal and barely touched the pork.

After dinner, I lit up an Ardor and began sorting my photos, a process which I will need to finish tonight so that I can post my album tomorrow.  After my pipe, still light out at 10:30 PM, I headed to the lounge for Wi-Fi and did some office work.  We were unsure of the schedule for today, and I left open the option of waking up at 6:30 AM, getting a stamp at Many Glacier VC, and heading back to meet my mother for breakfast at 7:30 AM before making our way through the park.  The alternative was to still do the 7:30 AM breakfast and then go to Many Glacier together, which would push our day back by at least an hour.  That was fine, since we had plenty of time today.  The main part of the park was a 50-mile road with a good hike at the Logan Pass VC, where we believed the Plaque to be.  We could have gotten to our hotel at 3 PM if all went well.  All did not go well.

It was 9 PM when we got to our hotel.  It didn’t matter.  This wasn’t going to be an “every stamp” visit, but I still wanted to get as many stamps as possible.  However, the most important thing was the Plaque and saying “Mainland US Complete” as I lit up my last Partagas.  Finding the Plaque at a US WHS is rarely easy, in such contrast to how prominently and proudly displayed they are at Canadian WHS.  In fact, three WHS we have visited display the Plaque next to a bathroom.  Next to a fucking bathroom.  In contrast, cf. my pictures of the Canadian WHS Plaques, especially the one in Quebec.  Well, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Breakfast was an ordeal, somehow taking a full hour, which now put us two hours behind schedule, and my stress levels were rising, especially since I read that the parking lot at Logan fills up around 10:30 AM, and heavy rain was forecasted in the afternoon.  I wanted to get that hike in at Logan before the rain.  The natural beauty of this site, however, quickly ameliorated my stress.  We went to Many Glacier VC, and I got my stamp.  We wanted to do a short nature walk to the lake, and the trail maps were not very informative, but the ranger was on the phone on a lengthy conversation.  She was clearly talking to her supervisor, and we had no problem with waiting as long as it took for her to write down her tasks for the day, but, when she started flirting with him and suggesting he come visit her district with a bottle of wine, in spite of our visible impatience, our stress levels quickly returned.  Once she hung up, she half-heartedly apologized, and I knew what was going on.

She had a crush on her supervisor, and I kind of forgave her.  If a girl I had crush on called me while I was at work, I would be in hurry to hang up.  In fact, I remember when I had a crush on one of my coworkers, and I took any excuse to visit her desk and discuss things in person that could have easily been answered by email.  “The heart wants what the heart wants,” my mother offered when I told her my theory.  That did not stop us from being annoyed with her.  We asked her about a short hike, and she told us about this two-hour loop.  I said that I wanted something shorter.  She asked how long we had in mind.  If my mother hadn’t quickly said we wanted a thirty-minute hike, I would have sarcastically offered that I wanted a hike that was “shorter than that phone call.”  She told us where to go, and we soon found the trailhead.

I lit up a Las Calaveras, and we made our way to the lake and back, taking plenty of ceremonial pictures.  We made our way into the parking, gassing up by our hotel, and my mother commented on the dramatic beauty of the landscapes.  A year ago today, I was at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, which has similar landscapes but is an order of magnitude more dramatic.  Nothing can quite compare to that, but this is a close second.  Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon, traditionally known as the “big three,” might round out the top five, though Olympic always holds a special spot for me.  We got our stamp at St. Mary’s VC and headed up the famous, historic Going-to-the-Sun Road, on our way to Logan Pass VC, where the Plaque was alleged to be.  We had no doubt that it would be there.  This was going to be a special moment for us.  Unless we go to Italy or some other country together, this was to be the last Plaque we saw together, on our last great summer road trip adventure.

We went to the VC, got our souvenirs there, got the stamps, but no Plaque to be found.  We asked the ranger.  She said that it was out back on a big rock by the trailhead.  Really?  Were they actually properly respecting the Plaque here?  We got ready for our hike and walked out together.  We found the big rock with a bronze plaque, but it was upright, not horizontal.  Fuck!  That meant that it was the International Man and the Biosphere plaque.  No worries, the WHS Plaque is usually right by the MAB plaque.  Surely it was on another rock nearby.  No, it wasn’t.  Hmm, now the panic started to set in, but we were used to this.  It was Great Smoky Mountain National Park all over again.  We checked every rock, we looked all over the parking lot, we asked the rangers again, including one whose job it was to man the parking lot.  One ranger thought it might be at headquarters, which closed at 4:30 PM (it was then noon), the other, the one who had been there for a while, said he’d never seen anything like it.  This was discouraging.  We were not going to worry about it yet.  I had read about it maybe being at wayside on the road, and we’d check every wayside.  If we couldn’t find it, we’d go to headquarters, and, if anyone knew where it was, they would at headquarters.  We were going to enjoy our hike first, and then we’d go to headquarters.

Even though I hadn’t found the Plaque yet, nothing was going to stop me from lighting my Partagas and announcing, “Mainland US Complete,” though it was not the triumphant moment I had expected, and there were no tears of joy.  We went back to the trailhead, and I lit up the Partagas.  “Mainland US Complete.  All 48 states, all 18 World Heritages Sites.”  No other words were necessary.  It held so much meaning.  I remarked that it would be two years until I went to Hawaii and that I had already done Alaska.  We made our way up the trail, enjoying the breathtaking views and the close up mountain goats, and we took plenty of ceremonial pictures along the way.  It was a wonderful hike, but we were starving, and we had to figure out the rest of the day.

The Plaque was most important, and we forewent lunch and another hike to get to headquarters as early as possible.  We stopped at a pullout for a lake view, but that was it.  We checked every wayside, but we couldn’t find the Plaque.  After about an hour, we were near headquarters, but we first stopped at the Apgar VC, where I got another stamp, while my mother asked if they could call headquarters about the Plaque.  The ranger thought it was there, and she called headquarters to confirm, expressing little confidence in the women who was manning the desk there.  Her confidence, or lack thereof, in Amanda was misplaced.  I think I’m in love with Amanda now.

Anyway, Amanda had gone outside to look for the Plaque, and the ranger at Apgar said that she had seen it there.  She relayed that Amanda had said they had “all three designations there.”  No, no, no, that didn’t sound promising.  A WHS plaque is one designation, not three.  Did they have three Plaques?  The ranger at Apgar showed us a picture of the outside of the building.  No, it was just a small plaque with three logos, including the famous diamond in the circle of the WHS program.  That wasn’t it.

We made our way to headquarters.  When we got there, Amanda took the lead in finding the Plaque for us.  She basically went on a treasure hunt for us, looking all over headquarters, asking people who might have known, having them call other people.  The Park Service must have spent eight man-hours on this project, maybe more.  They were relaying phone and radio calls.  Rangers were driving around chasing down leads.  This was a serious treasure hunt for them, and they kept apologizing.  We were starving and joked about ordering a pizza to headquarters.  We should have.

We were there for two hours.  The two top answers were Logan Pass VC and a wayside called The Loop, both of which we had already checked.  We were able to confirm that there were only three plaques at Logan, none of which was the WHS Plaque.  The Loop had two plaques, but they were both too small to be the right one.  Amanda stayed on the task, asking anyone and everyone who might now, literally asking every staffer she saw or could reach.

She went above and beyond the call of duty.  In fact, the whole staff did.  One thing led to another, and they got in touch with the former employee, the guy who would have installed the sign 20 years ago.  He thought it might have been at Goat Haunt.  How do you get to Goat Haunt?  You have to drive up through Canada, to the Waterton part of the park (where they have the Canadian version of the Plaque) and then take a boat ride back across the border.  We spoke with someone who had been working at the park for decades and he swore that there was no Plaque of the right size anywhere along the Going-to-the-Sun Road and that it wasn’t at Waterton either.

As 5 PM approached, which was well after closing time, we exchanged contact information, and called it a day, hunger starting to kick in, as we had skipped lunch in exchange to allot more time to the hunt for the plaque.  Amanda was so wonderful about everything, promising to find it for us, especially after we told her this was our last World Heritage Site, that we had seen them all, a slight stretching of the truth, since I excluded Hawaii and since my mother had not been along for all of them, but it was close enough to the truth.

The veteran walked outside with us, and he thought Goat Haunt would be a good place to look, which I will be doing tomorrow.  As I was taking my ceremonial pictures with the unofficial plaque, I got a phone call with a Kalispell area code.  This had to be it, the good news, that they had found the plaque.  The head curator, I think that was her title, Mary was her name, was on the other end of the phone.  She had spoken to the park’s wilderness director, who said it was at Goat Haunt.

Encouraged, we went to Apgar for ice cream, which was slightly disappointing.  Resigned to getting the Plaque tomorrow and alone, we had a more pressing problem.  We needed to exchange the car, the fuel gauge issues becoming a serious problem.  We headed to the airport, but they couldn’t help us, since the location was locally owned, but he called around, and the nearest corporate location was in Canada, but we would only be able to exchange it for an American-registered car.  We were now absolutely starving.  We exchanged contact information, too, and made our way to Kalispell for dinner.  I then got another 406 (the area code for Kalispell).  It had to either be the car or the Plaque, good news either way.  It was the car.  I could exchange it in southern Alberta.  Perfect.  Kalispell had a charming historic downtown, right where our restaurant was, but there was a thirty-minute wait.

Apparently, we had chosen the hottest restaurant in town.  I could not wait that long to eat, so we went to a soda fountain, where I got a hot dog to tide me over.  I was glad we had waited.  The meal was perfect.  Fried calamari, a buffalo burger, and two local huckleberry beers, maybe the best meal of our trip.  Over dinner, we reflected on the ups and downs of our trip, and my mother allowed that this was the most awe-inspiring National Park she had ever visited.  We were both proud of ourselves for not killing each other.  These six days were the longest we had ever spent alone together.

We stopped for Blizzards at DQ afterwards and then headed to our hotel.  After we settled in and called my father, we headed downstairs.  She printed her boarding pass, and I went outside, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep.  We have to be up in five hours, her for her early flight, and me so that I can make my way up to Canada as soon as I drop her off.  I wrote yesterday about how much I love the Wild West.  We are now in the North, and it is even more beautiful here.  As I make my way further north, it will only get more beautiful, just like all the beautiful girls we have seen with the Northern look, even Amanda, especially Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment