Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Buckeyes and Bourbon - Day 2 - A Little Fall of Rain

7/26/16, “A Little Fall of Rain”

En route, I-71 N, Ohio


When one travels, so much can go wrong, so much can change one’s plans, so much can ruin a wonderful day.  I would think first on that list is a little fall of rain, especially when outdoor activities or long drives are planned.  My 2013 Eurotrip, I got remarkably lucky with the weather, never feeling so much as a single drop of rain in 18 days, only getting caught in the rain during two morning drives.  Last year in Alaska, we were not as lucky, rain practically ruining our trip twice.  First, a little fall of rain caused us to miss out on being able to take a charter flight to see two National Parks, though we were able to reschedule that flight for our last day in Alaska.  Second, a little fall of rain on the Dalton led to us getting stuck in the mud.  Third, when we finally did get to Kotzebue, a little fall of rain almost prevented us from taking those flights.  The trip I took with my mom a few weeks ago, while did hit some rain on the road, it did not affect our outdoor activities at all.

That was not the case today.  I could very easily write an extremely short entry focusing on the activities of the day but that is not my style.  First, I need to add in my comments from yesterday.  I have been all over the country, so the shock my travel companions expected being in what they considered the “hick” towns was unexpected to me.  My old friend was complaining he did not see any beautiful women in Ohio, a point I refused to let stand, and a debate that continued this morning, due in no small part to the fact that prettiest girl I know grew up in Ohio.

Alright, I have forty minutes before we turn off this road, which means I have forty minutes to finish writing and publishing this entry.  My computer somehow fixed itself, and I was able to publish my entry, promoting it in the morning.  I knew I would only be able to get three hours of sleep, so every minute was precious once I got upstairs.  My old friend tried to set the alarm, and I knew I would wake up in time naturally.  The alarm blared while he was setting it, and I was ready to kill him.  I soon woke up and told everyone to get up.  The deal I had made with him was that we would be at his amusement park by 10 AM, so long as everyone was ready to go when I was.  I calculated the latest we could leave the hotel was 7:30 AM.

We did not get on the road until 8 AM, no fault of my own.  Breakfast was quite good, too, better than the disappointing experiences I had at the Hampton Inn recently, and we headed towards the amusement park.  I broke 100 on the road, not sure if I had previously done it in Kentucky.  I don’t think I’ve done it in Ohio, but I’ll be back here at least one more time, anyway.  Our first stop was the William Howard Taft NHS in Cincinnati.  When we got there, I asked the ranger, “Where’s the bathtub?”  I’m not sure if any of my readers will get that joke, but the ranger certainly did.  He told me that a) the story might be apocryphal and b) there was a picture of the tub on the second floor of the house.  The story is, of course, that Taft, our fattest president, once got stuck in the bathtub at the White House.  We walked around the house, my friends taking more time there than I, and I lit up an H. Upmann as we took our ceremonial pictures.

The next stop I wanted to take was a picture at the William Mason High School in Mason, where my aforementioned friend grew up, thinking it would be funny to send her a picture of the high school, and it was very close to the amusement park, which was also in Mason.  There was some kind of event going on, and it was all closed off, so I couldn’t get the picture.

We were soon at the amusement park, and everything went great until lunch.  We had a fun time, doing the biggest and most famous rides.  King’s Island, on the outskirts of Cincinnati would have to be considered one of Ohio’s premiere attractions.  It’s funny, my old friend got us free tickets by saying he was reviewing the park.  Now, in fact, here I am, reviewing the park on a public blog.  We did Firehawk first, which had us lying on our backs and going in every single possible direction, including upside down.  I figured that the scariest part would be when the seat went backwards to put us on our backs.  I was right.  I was not ready for it, so I kept my eyes closed at first.  I was wedged between my two friends, and my newer friend kept teasing me, which eventually got me to open my eyes.  I freaked the fuck out, but I kept my eyes opened the rest of the ride.  It was maybe the highest thrill ride of the trip.

Next was the Banshee, which is the park’s newest ride.  That may have actually been a higher thrill than the Firehawk, and I was more in the mood after the first coaster.  Next was the most famous coaster in the park, The Beast, which is also the longest wooden coaster in the world and was the tallest when it was built.  It was not as high of a thrill as I expected.  After that came my favorite ride of the trip, which was the Diamondback.  My Ohio friend gave that a high recommendation, and I loved it.  I felt like I was flying.

We then stopped for chili, which led to a bit of a fight somehow, since my old friend was kind of deceptive about how important it was to him to eat at that chili place, it really not being important, just a food that he liked.  It was very filling, and it sapped my energy for the rest of the day.  The birthday boy, my newer friend, was feeling nauseated, so we split up.  I felt bad about leaving him alone on his birthday, but my old friend insisted I accompany him on all the rides.  I will not go into the details, but we did a few more rides, which were all much lower thrill than the earlier rides, and then we got to the last big one, Vortex.  It was delayed due to weather.

Then it started pouring.  A little fall of rain, and it messed everything up.  My friend found a way to blame me for missing that ride, saying I spent too much time at the gift shops and refilling my drinks (on a hot summer day).  I almost slapped him.  There was one ride that was indoors, so that was still opened, but the wait was almost an hour.  After we did that, we met my other friend, and we did the last wooden coaster and some water rides.  In the end, we somehow managed to do every coaster in the park and still make it to dinner by 8 PM, even with the late start.  Everyone was starting to get on each other’s nerves.  Well, that’s not true.  I think my newer friend and I were fine with each other, but we’ve travelled before, and we’ve never really fought or argued, just minor annoyances.

For dinner, we went to the Golden Lamb, Ohio’s “most iconic” restaurant, and it absolutely was worthy of that title.  For starters, twelve presidents, plus Henry Clay, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens have all dined there.  Then, the meal, which was amazing.  They had an extremely reasonably priced “taste of summer” menu, which, for me, meant corn chowder, black bean fritters, and smoked lamb ribs, along with two beers, charcuterie to share, and bread with butter and apple butter.  I am still stuffed, and I still can’t believe how good that lamb was.  I said I would take the second shift of driving, and we got back in the car, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I publish it and take over the wheel.  I will treat the reflections and journey home in full tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment