Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 9 - Across the Prairie

7/11/15, “Across the Prairie”

Winnipeg, Manitoba

See those two words?  “Winnipeg, Manitoba.”  I have been waiting two years to write that.  August 19, 2013 was the scariest night of my life.  I was making my way up to Winnipeg from North Dakota, and I got selected at the border for a secondary screening, nothing unusual for me, which, in and of itself was odd in that I always had trouble at the Canadian border, even before that night.  This was different, though.  I had raised some red flags or something, maybe my itinerary seemed too odd, something raised their suspicions.  They were looking for something.  Without going into too much detail, they found something, and I was certain I was going to wind up in a Canadian prison.  After three hours, I was “voluntarily allowed to leave Canada,” which meant I had to go back around to the States, and I was warned not to try again to enter Canada that trip.  I had to find a hotel in North Dakota.  Here is the beginning of that entry:

Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Unfortunately, this byline is not reading ‘Winnipeg, Manitoba.’  Fortunately, it is not reading ‘Canadian Jail, Manitoba’ or having a date of a few days later, since they probably wouldn’t let me use my computer in jail.  The art of travel is maintaining the fine edge between adventure and adversity, but to call what happened today either adventure or adversity would be to underplay it.


Now, here I am, at the end of my journey, at last in Winnipeg, sitting on my hotel balcony, smoking an H. Upmann fresh from a box I just purchased, as I stare at the Manitoba Legislative Assembly Building off in the distance.  Life is good again.  Life was not good that night.  All in all, today was an extremely boring day.  I could probably properly write this entry in one paragraph, that’s how boring it was, and I will do so, since I am starving and want to get dinner.

I slept in quite a bit this morning, which was difficult, since I have been used to getting up early this trip, and I had trouble getting back to sleep.  I had Canadian bacon benedict for breakfast, with a side of wild Saskatchewan mushrooms.  That was my official meal in Saskatchewan.  I published my entry and the rest of my photos from Phase I of the trip before heading to the Legislative Assembly, where I took my ceremonial pictures.  They were supposed to have a gift shop there, but it was closed down.  My reader is well aware of my quest to collect a flag pin in each Canadian Province.  I called another shop, which was actually like one building away, and they had it.  As I was going into the parking lot, I misjudged a ramp and heard a pop from the side of my car.  I bit my tongue from the impact and tasted blood.  When I parked, everything looked fine.  Okay.

I headed into the museum, and the determined manner in which I walked into the gift shop was a dead giveaway.  The clerk immediately asked me if I had called for the flag pin.  She had it for me.  Jackpot.  I got my souvenirs and walked out, lighting up my Partagas and announcing, “Saskatcehwan Complete.”  I then called a cigar shop.  They had what I wanted, and the prices were slightly more reasonable.  They also had some more affordable blends.  One problem, well, two actually.  First, it was inside a mall, so I had to leave my cigar in the car.  Second, I had a fraud block on my debit card, so I had to call my bank.  It ate into some of my Dutch time.  I got on the road and headed to Winnipeg.  Then I got the low pressure light for my tire.  Sure enough, the tire was losing air.  I had to stop a few times to repressurize the tire, which did the trick, since I could not find a tire shop that was open, and I could not take the time to change the tire by hand.

I stopped at a DQ for lunch, which was delicious, and I was soon at the Manitoba border, where I took my ceremonial pictures with the sign.  I lit up a Padron, found a nice downgrade to hit 100, and continued to Winnipeg.  Oh, while I was at the DQ, I called a souvenir shop in Winnipeg.  They said they were open late and had flag pins.  Perfect.  I put that in as my destination.  After the Padron, I opted for my last Las Calaveras I had brought, which was falling apart and smoked like shit.

After a long and boring drive across the prairie, I was soon at the gift shop, which was in a shopping mall.  They were open.  Yes.  They had flag pins.  Yes.  Wait, no.  What!  FUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!   They only had Canadian flag pins, no Manitoba flag pins.  This was the only place that would opened late, and everything else would not open early enough tomorrow for me to get to my flight in time.  I even considered switching my flight, but I was on the last flight out tomorrow night, and a Monday morning flight (yes, I considered that), would get me to work too late on Monday.  No, no, no.  Besides, there was no guarantee another place might have it.  My best bets were a gas station on the road or the duty free shop at the border.  I checked every other shop in the mall.  No, no dice.  I asked at the tourist office.  They recommended a gas station on the road and were convinced that nowhere in town would have the flag pin.  This was the only souvenir area.  Alas.

Dejected, I headed to the legislative assembly, where a wedding party was taking their ceremonial pictures.  The legislative assembly had a gift shop, but it was closed on the weekend.  Fuck!  They would have the pin if anyone did.  I then went to check my 8/19/13 entry for something.  Yes, I had had a Cuban and an ice cream in Manitoba, as the “International Peace Garden,” north the 49th Parallel, which I was counting as my Official meal and smoke for Manitoba.  That meant the legislative assembly was all I needed.  I took my ceremonial picture and announced, “Manitoba Complete.  Canadian Prairie Complete.”  I assured myself I’d find the flag pin tomorrow and headed to my car.  I then went to my hotel, checked in, got a dinner recommendation and went up to my room.  I was planning on just going straight to dinner, but I saw my hotel had a balcony with a view of the legislative assembly, so I cracked open my box of cigars brought some furniture outside, and sat down, where I proceeded to light up my H. Upmann and write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some food.  Tomorrow I am homeward bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment