Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 6 - The Parting of the Ways

7/8/15, “The Parting of the Ways” At sea, MV International, Upper Waterton Lake


“This is unreal,” I thought to myself for not the first time since I entered Waterton Lakes National Park.  This can’t be real.  No, surely it is just a matte painting.  Such natural beauty could not possibly exist.  No, I have traveled the world, and nowhere else I have been can compare to this, not Alaska, not Antarctica, not Glacier.  This simply cannot be real.  However, in the context of this trip, if Grand Teton NP was just the appetizer, this is but the sorbet that is cleansing my pallet before I continue on to the Canadian Rocky Mountains Parks tomorrow.

Today will be, by far the most exhausting day of the trip, and I have at least seven hours left before I get to my hotel in Edmonton, most of which will be on the road.  I am starving and tired and not looking forward to that drive, but this makes it all worthwhile.  It was after midnight by the time I got back to the room last night, which meant I got less than four hours of sleep.  We hurried to get to the airport, and it was time for The Parting of the Ways.  We said our goodbye and thanked each other for our respective contributions to the trip.  I wanted to publish my photos from the airport, but I was tight on time, and it took way too long for me to get the photos ready.  I figured I would publish after lunch.  My plan was to drive up I-15 to the border, go to Waterton Lakes NP, take the boat to Goat Haunt, go back, go to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, and make my way up to Edmonton.  I would also stop at Lethbridge to exchange the car.  With any luck, I would be at my hotel in Edmonton before 10 PM.

Needless to say, things did not go according to plan.  I called several audibles, and it all turned out for the best.  Unfortunately, I will not be at my hotel in Edmonton until close to 1 AM, but that’s nothing for me (cf. Budapest).  I figured the border crossing would take me about an hour.  I could be at Waterton Lakes NP at 11:30 AM, spend about 3:30, including the boat to Goat Haunt and back, and get to HSIBJ by 4:30 PM.  I would later learn that that would not have been a viable option, but I did not know that at the time.  I lit up my Davidoff Nic Toro, which I always save for my first big drive of the trip, and this would serve as that purpose.  I stopped for food and coffee and gas and got back on the highway.  I suppose this was around 7 AM, after I finished circling the lower part of the Glacier NP.  The speed limit was 70 mph, and I was at 84 mph as I took a sip of coffee.  There was a cop car coming in the opposite direction.  He put his lights on and did a U-turn.  Fuck.  I had a feeling he’d let me off with just warning, and I was right.  He just wanted to run my information, no formal citation.  I was back on the road in ten minutes.  My next cigar was a My Father I had been carrying around with me at all times since I left New York.  It was quite beat up.

When I got to the border, it was the same as usual.  They asked all the usual questions and searched my belongings.  I was afraid I might have been over the tobacco limit, but I was fine.  An hour later, they let me go, but my schedule was shot at that point.  I found the “Welcome to Alberta” sign and was glad to have cell service again, so I spent too much time on my status updates and notifications.  I then headed up the road to the information center, where I got a map and Wi-Fi and replanned my day.  Swapping Waterton and HSIBJ would only add thirty minutes to the trip, and it meant I’d be guaranteed to see both sites.  I stopped at McDonald’s en route, and I was shocked with how much nicer it was than the American ones, and they even had interesting Canadian specialties.  I opted for the chicken, bacon, onion sandwich, on an onion roll.

It was not long before I was at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump.  If my reader does not know what a Buffalo Jump is, it’s a place where the Native Americans used to (or maybe still do at some spots) chase buffalo off of a cliff, where they would fall to their deaths.  That was there form of hunting.  When I got there, I quickly found the Plaque and made my way upstairs to the overlook.  I lit up a Partagas and knew that there was no way I would need to spend the full cigar there, but I could not bring the lit cigar through the VC back to the car.  It was a short walk to the overlook, and I walked back to the entrance to the overlook, posting my pictures as I let my cigar go out.  I relit it as soon as I was back outside downstairs.

I headed back to the car and got on my way again.  As my reader will recall, we had serious issues with the fuel gauge, and we have just been refueling every 200 miles, which should get us 7-8 gallons each time, but it has been less for some fills.  According to my calculations, we were really only working with a 200-mile fuel range.  I had gone about 180 since my last fill when I left HSIBJ.  The nearest gas station was about 30 miles.  I was quite nervous.  Well, that gas station was closed.  Fuck.  Another 10 miles to the next gas station.  I wasn’t sure I’d make it.  I did, and I also got another 5 gallons in a container, which I put in the trunk.

It was half an hour from there to Waterton Lakes NP.  I was absolutely floored by the views when I arrived, but I did not want to do any sightseeing until I knew the boat schedule.  I headed straight to the VC, and I had two questions.  One, where was the World Heritage Site Plaque and did Goat Haunt also have one.  Two, what was the boat schedule.  He asked me if I was on a scavenger hunt.  I said that I was.  He had an answer for me.  Well, we are about to dock, so I’ll have to close on that cliffhanger.


Goat Haunt, Montana (Glacier National Park)

Well, it looks like I’m back in the United States, but not really, since I haven’t had to clear border control, nor will I on the way back to Alberta.  There is a US CBP Officer about 20 feet away from me, but you only have to report to him if you want to go hiking.  If you just want to see the Ranger Station, you don’t even need ID.  Alright, so the ranger at the Waterton Lakes VC.  He told me that, prior to yesterday, no one had ever asked him about the Plaque.  I was the fourth person to ask him about it in the past 24 hours.  Oh, Amanda, you beautiful girl.  At her behest, three people had called Waterton about the Plaque.  I admitted that the other calls were all on my behalf.  He told me where to get the boat, the plaque, and the souvenirs, all in the same general vicinity.  The boats were every three hours, with departures at 1 PM and 4 PM.  That is why it worked this way but would not have worked the other way.  I drove down to the marina, got my boat ticket and pin and enjoyed the scenic views before looking for the Plaque.  It was nowhere to be found.  Hmm, we’re about to get back on the boat, so I’ll have to close again on that cliffhanger.


At sea, MV International, Upper Waterton Lake

Eventually I did find the Plaque in a little exhibit area along the lake, exactly where Amanda had said it would be.  Unlike the other Canadian Plaques I have seen, there was no wondrous vista behind the plaque.  However, all you had to do to see the unreal vista was walk about five feet outside.  I took a bunch of ceremonial pictures, and then I noticed something.  Reader, Canadian and US WHS Plaques are quite different.  They have different standard verbiage.  The Canadian Plaques reference the unique features of the site, whereas the US Plaques speak more to the general nature of the WHS program, the only site-specific language being the name of the site and the date/year inscribed.

This Plaque had the US version of the verbiage, in both English and French, and it did not reference the specific features of the Park, just referring to “WATERTON-GLACIER INTERNATIONAL PEACE PARK.”  Reader, in other words, this was a standard US Plauqe.  The only difference being the difference in size, necessitated by including the French.  What did this mean?  It meant that I had found the Plaque.  This was it.  They had only made one Plaque for the entire Park, and I had found it.  I asked someone to take my picture, and I got the Official non-selfie Plaque pictures.  That didn’t stop me from going to Goat Haunt in the off chance they might have a Plaque there, too.

I went to the boat and, once my I put my jaw back in its proper place from the wondrous views, proceeded to write the first part of the entry.  There is little I can say about the boat ride, the beauty of the pictures speaking for themselves.  We were soon at Goat Haunt, where they had a nice exhibit and restrooms.  I checked the exhibit for the Plaque, no Plaque.  I checked by the restrooms, no Plaque.  I then walked towards the ranger station.  No stamp, no Plaque, nothing besides more amazing views.  I sat down and proceeded to write this entry.  I got back on the boat and saw two park rangers sitting there, an NPS ranger and a Parks Canada ranger.  I asked them about the Plaque.  The boat was about to leave.  What was I going to do if they said it was back at the ranger station?  Run for it?  Take the next boat in three hours and get to my hotel in Edmonton at 4 AM?

Neither of them had seen one here.  The NPS ranger said it was in Logan.  No, that was the International Biosphere Reserve plaque.  Oh, well.  The one at Waterton was the only one it certainly seemed, and, with the US verbiage, I counted it.  I sat down and proceeded to write this entry as soon as were at sea, which I will now close in the off chance of catching a nap.  Alright, so, funny story that I forgot to include last night.  I had announced “Mainland US Complete” at Logan, signifying I had been to every WHS in the lower 48 states.  As we were walking to the car, the veteran told us that they just added a new WHS in the US, the San Antonio Missions, including the Alamo.  My mother and I both started cracking up.  It was not Mainland US Complete.  We had been so disconnected from the rest of the world that we hadn’t really checked the news.  Of course, this was the time of the year when they have the Convention and inscribe new sites.  I guess we’ll have to go to San Antonio next year, once they got their plaque there.


Edmonton, Alberta


For the amount of time I will be spending here, my hotel room is way too big.  It’s practically a palace.  I just needed a bed, an outlet, and Wi-Fi.  In my earlier entries today, I wrote about how Waterton was the most dramatically beautiful place I had ever seen in my travels.  It is only fitting that I saw it during the most brutal day of all my travelling.  I have now been awake for over 22 hours, half of which I spent behind the wheel of a car, without getting a wink of sleep since I left Kalispell, and I only got 4 hours of sleep last night.  Not even Maine last summer or Budapest 2013 can compare.  Even my 16 hour drive from this very city two years ago this week was less brutal.  With no naps and starting behind the eight ball on short sleep, I am exhausted, so I will write as quickly as I can.  It has now been 9 hours since I closed on the boat, and really nothing has happened other than a quick dinner and an adventurous short hike.  Whenever I travel with my mother, it’s always a quest, a quest for plaques or stamps or souvenirs or chimpanzees or something.  It is how we have travelled together for 16 years.

When I travel alone, it’s always an adventure.  Trying to cram so much in to so short time leads to those types of adventures, such as I had today.  It is fitting that the last great summer road trip adventure should contain both.  After the parting of the ways, I am now free to do my own crazy schedules, and that is exactly what I’m doing for the Canadian portion.  Okay, after I got off the boat, I went to a chic hot dog place for dinner, which delicious, but not as quick as I hoped.  I lit up my Montecristo No. 2 and walked along the lake, taking ceremonial pictures.  I then went back to the car and headed to the VC.  There was a nearby trail, so I decided I would finish my cigar on the trail.  There was a bear warning on the trailhead.  The tour guide from the boat had joked that bears hate ABBA music, so we should sing to ward them off.  That’s what I did, singing “Our Last Summer.”  I went up a bit, took some ceremonial pictures, and then headed down.  As I was walking down, I took a nasty fall, twisting my ankle, the same foot I injured a year ago today, scraping my hand, badly cutting my knee and my suit pants.  Between the blood and the McFlurry, it is safe to say the suit is practically ruined.  Right, the McFlurry.


I drove pretty much straight through, only stopping to gas up and get food, McDonald’s.  The McFlurry would later leak all over my suit.  I will not recall the frantic quest for open gas stations and restuarants at 11 PM and midnight in Bumblefuck, Alberta, but I’m sure my reader can imagine.  It was getting bad, and I was having trouble staying awake.  My driving was suffering, but there was no place to pull over safely.  Each time I got food or gas, I tried to rest my eyes, but I was unable to nap.  However, walking around energized me.  Before long, I arrived at my hotel and checked in, only to find it was a huge suite, far larger than I needed.  I went to the living room, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can crash and prepare for another brutal day of driving ahead of me.  Hopefully I can get 5 hours of sleep, but it’s doubtful.  I need to be at the Banff VC by 7 PM, and there is almost 8 hours of driving, an hour for gas and food, an hour to walk around in Jasper.  In other words, I need to be out of here at 9 AM, at the latest, which means I need to be up by 8 AM, at the latest.  It is now 2:30 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment