Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Buckeyes and Bourbon - Day 1 - The Also Rans

7/25/15, "The Also Rans"

Frankfort, Kentucky

I woke up this morning in Columbus, the capital of Ohio, now, 17 hours later I find myself in the capital of Kentucky, desperately wanting to go to sleep.  so much of today is familiar to the way I travel, but so much is also unfamiliar, including the fact that I an writing this entry on my phone and not my computer, due to a possibly fatal error my computer has encountered.  I do not think I will be able to fix it before I get back to New York.  The title of tonight's entry originally applied to the two National Park Sites we visited today that have pending World Heritage Site nominations.  However, here in Kentucky, smoking my pipe and drinking bourbon, I have realized that Kentucky better exemplifies the idea of the also rans.  All the horses who also ran at Churchill Downs comes to mind, as does the state's junior senator.  While, idealogically be nay be my favored candidate, I have little faith in his ability to lead the country.   This time next year, he will just be an also ran.

I will have to save the more thorough philosophical exploration of the idea of the also ran for another time, but suffice it to say, it is a concept apt to personal experience.  Every boy who was ever turned down to prom is an also ran.  I will recall the events of the day as concisely and quickly as possible, since it is really annoying to write this on my phone.  I have to be on the road again in five hours.  Agh, fuck it.   I'm going inside to finish this on a computer.



I appear to have found a temporary fix.  I hope it can lead to a permanent fix.  Either way, I am now back on the computer, and I will do this entry as quickly as possible.  We took our ceremonial pictures at the Statehouse before, after one thing led to another, getting donuts for breakfast.  We then made our way to Hopewell Culture NHP, the first of the also rans.  We were there before they opened, but I could still get my brochure, so I lit up the new Davidoff Escurio, and we walked around, taking pictures of the earthworks.  It is basically the same as Cahokia and Poverty Point, and I have no idea why those were inscribed and not this one, or if this one is even worthy of inscription with those two already inscribed.

We made our way to the river, and we started to walk down, but the mud made it very difficult, and I slipped twice.  We headed back and were at the VC a little after they opened.  I talked with the ranger about the also ran status of the site, and he said this would be the next one to get inscribed.  I knew far more about the process than he did, and he asked what I studied in college, saying that I was clearly very intelligent.  I liked that.  It is likely this one will get inscribed next summer, which would mean I would have to return.

After I did my business in the VC, we headed to Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers NM, which just Colonel Young’s house, empty and unrestored.  It was an Official visit, and I had some more of my cigar.  Well, I might have to return for that, too, if Hopewell gets inscribed.  We took our ceremonial pictures there and continued to Dayton, the other also ran, which was clearly the most interesting stop of the trip.

We did everything in the wrong order, but we soon found ourselves at the world’s first airport, Huffman Prairie Flying Field.  This was where the Wright Brothers perfected their flying machines.  I could have spent all day in Dayton, and I will return for a full day if they do get inscribed.  It’s a site very worthy of inscription.  We were tight on time, so we raced from one stamp spot to the next, continuing my Escurio as I could.  We saw the Wright Brothers’ bicycle shop, yes, the Dunbar House, which was an NHL, and other sites in Dayton, but we did not afford them the proper time or respect.

We spent too much time in Dayton and were behind schedule, us starting to get on each other’s nerves, only our old jokes keeping us from fighting.  We stopped for Arby’s on the way to Kentucky, and we were at the amusement park around 3 PM.  We had a full agenda to do before dinner, but my friend was insistent we did every ride, including a Wizard of Oz show.  This was a familiar experience for me and my old friend, new for my new friend.  We had our fun and ate more food than necessary.  There was an incident with my old friend finding his glasses, which delayed our entrance to the Wizard of Oz show, which, in turn, cost us the Louisville Slugger Museum.

After the park, we headed to Churchill Downs, which is an NHL, so I lit up a Jericho Hill there, after we took our ceremonial pictures, and I took some more ceremonial pictures with the cigar.  We went to the Louisville Slugger Museum, and we could see the bats inside, so we took even more ceremonial pictures and headed down to the river.  We then went to a place to get a cup of burgoo, which my old friend insisted we try, even though we were about to get dinner.  It was good, but it was just plain stew.

We headed to dinner at Jack Fry’s, Kentucky’s “most iconic” restaurant, and it was well deserving of its title.  The meal was exceptional.  We had early stopped at a liquor store to get some bourbon.  Even though my new friend (weird calling him this as he’s practically been my best friend for the past five months, but I have known the other guy for almost five years, I think), felt guilty about buying a bottle four hours before he turned 21.  They didn’t card him.  At the restaurant, I said we were celebrating his 21st birthday, so we needed some Mitcher’s bourbon to celebrate.  They didn’t card him.  We ate family style, getting fried oysters and bone marrow for appetizers, steak and pork chop for the main course.  My old friend complained that this was not enough food, even though we had been constantly eating all day.  He complains about everything, which sours the trip for me, and it is my least favorite part about travelling with him.  The meal was delicious, and they brought a piece of cake afterwards, as the pianist played “Happy Birthday.”  The meal was, in a word, fabulous, and we topped it off with espresso.

We tried in vain to find Derby Pie before we made our way to Frankfort, stopping at a random location for a ceremonial picture at midnight.  We got to the hotel and settled in.  I then went outside where I lit up my Ardor and tried to restart my computer.  No luck.  I had a very specific problem, so I googled it, and it turned out my antivirus software was the issue.  The best fix was to log in in guest mode, so that was what I did.  I proceeded to write my entry at first on the phone, until I was able to get the guest mode to work, which is now working, so that’s how I finished the entry.  I will now close so that I can get some sleep, and I heavily doubt that I can publish, but I will give it a try as I finish my bourbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment