Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

TLGSRTA - Day 0 - This Is It

The Last Great Summer Road Trip Adventure

7/2/15, "This Is It"
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)


As my mother and I sit at Kennedy, preparing to embark on our last great summer road trip adventure, just like the ones we used to take when I was in grade school, it would be easy to reflect on what has changed in the past fifteen years, both in our lives and in the world, but that is not what this entry will be about.  No, this entry will be about something else entirely.  This is it, the big one, the last great summer road trip adventure.  We have been talking about this trip for fifteen years.  We did all the great trips, Grand Canyon and the surrounding Parks, Tennessee and the surrounding states, the Great Lakes, California, the Pacific Northwest.  We saw it all.  We never got around to doing this one.  Whether we just ran out of summers before I went to NYU or if we never wanted to deal with the difficult logistics, whatever it was, we never got out there.

Now, here we are, on our way to Yellowstone National Park.  It is not just going to be Yellowstone.  It will be Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks.  More than five days together, the longest trip the two of us have ever taken alone together, my father being unable to join us.  It’s not just a jaunt to Yellowstone, like our jaunt to Acadia two years ago.  No, it’s our last great summer road trip adventure.

After I drop her off at the airport on Wednesday, I will then continue across the Canadian Prairie, visiting sites in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, before flying home in ten days.  It is the last great summer road trip adventure.  After this trip, there will literally not be a single site left in the continental U.S. that is worth taking a vacation day to visit.  Sure, I will take a day off for my brother’s wedding, which is a month from today, and I’ll visit Crater Lake National Park while I’m there.  What else is left?  Places like Congaree National Park and Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial?  Hardly worth getting on the airplane to see those sites.

This is it.  The last great summer road trip adventure.  At the end of this year, I will be doing my big Asia trip, but no driving.  Next summer, Rio, again, no driving.  At the end of 2016, Australia, which will include some driving, maybe, but not much, mostly flying.  Summer 2017 trips, while they will be numerous and epic, none of them will include significant amounts of driving.

No, this is it.  The last great summer road trip adventure.  In the fifteen years we discussed and planned it, we never realized how big of a deal it would be, that we were quite literally saving the best for last.  In a few days, we will be standing in front of the Plaque at Glacier National Park, and I will utter the words that will bring a tear to my eye: “Mainland US Complete.”  There is no one else in the world I’d rather have standing next to me when I say those words.  Why?  Because no one else in the world fully understands the meaning behind those words.  It will be over two years before I go to Hawaii and complete my travel goals, but, for this trip, the last great summer road trip adventure, Mainland US Complete will be a great thing to say.

As for Day 0, well it’s been quite an adventure.  Connor came over last night, crashing on my floor again.  He was still there in the morning.  He has in own key, which is fine, since he is one of the few people in the world I trust absolutely.  We said our goodbyes, and I went to the office.  It was an extremely stressful day, rushing to get everything out before I left.  To make matters worse, I dropped my phone, and the screen broke, so I had to fix it during my lunch break, the stress of which left me with neither the appetite nor time to get lunch.  When it was time to leave work at 3:30 PM, I hurried to Hop Won for what served as my pre-departure lunch.  My usual guy was there and asked about my suitcase.  I told him about my trip and that I wouldn’t see him for a couple of weeks.  I talked about all the details and answered his questions.  Although I was tight for time, I was glad to engage him in conversation.  He’s practically a friend, I’ve known him that long and see him that frequently.  However, time did takes its toll, and I had to place my order.

After I scarfed down an egg roll and some spare ribs, I lit up a Cohiba and headed to the cigar store.  Raymond and Connor were there, having finished watching a movie or two at my apartment.  The car service called to say they had a flat tire, just as my mother arrived.  There was much chaos and confusion, and people were giving me cigars.  It was really confusing.  My mother introduced herself to Connor, not having met him before and exchanged greetings with Raymond while I was in the humidor.  Eventually I said my goodbyes, and we caught a cab.  My computer was having issues, which messed up my work stuff, which further led to more stress.  Eventually, we got through security, and I was plugged in by my gate with two hours before my flight.  I worked for an hour or so and then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are about to board and embark on our last great summer road trip adventure.  This is it.

1 comment: